Skip to main content

Saudi Arabia | Saudi Prosecutor Seeks Death Penalty against 10 Former Judges for "High Treason"

Repression continues to devour Saudi citizens, even government allies, as Crown Prince entrenches his authority

(Washington D.C., February 27, 2023) – The Specialized Criminal Court (SCC) in Riyadh, used to prosecute "terrorism" cases in Saudi Arabia, has charged six former prominent SCC judges and four former judges of the High Court, the country's supreme court, with "high treason" – a crime punishable by death in Saudi Arabia – in its first secret hearing of the case on February 16, 2023, said Democracy for the Arab Now (DAWN).

Sources told DAWN that the government has denied the defendants legal counsel and held them incommunicado since their detention on April 11, 2022.

"The shocking charges leveled against these judges, many of whom have issued egregiously abusive sentences against Saudi citizens at the behest of the Crown Prince, demonstrates that no one is safe in Saudi Arabia," said Abdullah Alaoudh, Gulf Director at DAWN. "The prosecution of these judges is emblematic of the Crown Prince's wider purges within the country and his attempts to make the judiciary subservient solely to his wishes."

The Saudi State Security Agency arrested the judges on April 11, 2022. Those arrested include six judges from the SCC – Abdullah bin Khaled al-Luhaidan, Abdulaziz bin Medawi al-Jaber, Jundub al-Muferrih, Abdulaziz bin Fahad al-Dawood, Talal al-Humaidan, Fahad al-Sughayyer – and four judges from the High Court – Khalid bin Awaidh al-Qahtani, Nasser bin Saud al-Harbi, Muhammed al-Omari, and Muhammed bin Musfir al-Ghamdi. DAWN previously exposed the direct role of two of these SCC judges, Abdullah bin Khaled al-Luhaidan and Abdulaziz bin Medawi al-Jaber in human rights abuses in Saudi Arabia. Al-Luhaidan convicted prominent women's rights defender Loujain Alhathloul on baseless terrorism charges in December 2020, while al-Jaber sentenced a minor and many others to death, including many of those executed in the mass execution of 81 people in March 2022.

The arrests and prosecution of these judges bear striking resemblance to previous purges of perceived rivals of MBS, and their charges appear to be politically motivated, with no credible evidence presented against the accused, according to a source with knowledge of the trial. According to a source with knowledge of the trial and who said he reviewed the court documents presented against the defendants, officials from the State Security Circuit of the Public Prosecution Office charged the SCC judges after they signed confessions stating they had been too "lenient" in the State Security cases they presided over during their tenures as SCC judges. 

According to the same source, the court documents cite these confessions as evidence for the charges and identify as examples of "leniency" the sentences the judges gave in cases involving the prosecutions of human rights defenders, peaceful dissidents, and women's rights activists. Among the other charges against them is "complacency toward state security criminals," the source explained, although it is not clear that this charge is a cognizable offense in Saudi law, or would meet the requirements of international law if it were one. The same source informed DAWN that the judge presiding over the trial of these 10 judges is Awad al-Ahmari, also previously investigated by DAWN for his abuses; he was appointed to head the SCC by a royal decree on June 9, 2022. 

After arresting these judges, MBS replaced them on June 20 with his loyalists, who have proceeded to review a number of trials of political activists and twitter commentators and dramatically increase their sentences. For example, the SCC now headed by these newly appointed judges overturned shorter sentences issued by lower courts against two Saudi women, Salma al-Shehab and Nourah al-Qahtani, from eight and 13 years, to 34 and 45 years in prison, respectively, for their use of social media.

The detention and trial of the judges also appear to lack basic due process protections. In an interview with DAWN on February 23, 2023, the source who witnessed the trial familiar with the arrests said that state security officials held the judges incommunicado, denying them access to their families and lawyers throughout their ten-month pre-trial detention period. The same source attended the trial itself, informing DAWN that the government did not allow the defendants to have legal counsel to represent them, and that one of the judges was recently transferred to an intensive care unit due to serious health complications. 

DAWN has urged accountability for Saudi judges violating human, legal, and political rights and their roles in enabling state repression against Saudi human rights defenders, civil society leaders, and democracy activists. Though several of the judges recently charged with high treason have previously committed such abuses, DAWN condemns their apparently arbitrary arrests and the lack of due process exhibited in their trial. At a minimum, the Saudi government should provide the defendants with access to counsel and family visits. But because the Saudi prosecutors have no prosecutorial independence whatsoever and the SCC's record shows it is not a fair and impartial court, the government immediately should release the men. 

"Nothing protects a Saudi citizen's basic rights to life and freedom, not even blindly obeying the Crown Prince's dictates or carrying out his dirty work by sentencing his critics to lengthy prison terms," said Alaoudh. "By prosecuting these judges, MBS is sending a message to every judge in the country that they have to be as brutal as possible to avoid the fate of their victims."

Repression within Saudi Arabia continues to accelerate at a dramatic pace. Saudi authorities should immediately release the 10 judges and provide them with access to legal counsel. DAWN calls on the U.S. to cease its political and military support to the Saudi government in light of its systematic and widespread rights abuses, to avoid further contributing to and enabling such abuses. 

Source: dawnmena.org, Staff, February 27, 2023


_____________________________________________________________________




_____________________________________________________________________


FOLLOW US ON:


TELEGRAM


TWITTER







HELP US KEEP THIS BLOG UP & RUNNING!



"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted."


— Oscar Wilde

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Iran | Teenage Protester Saleh Mohammadi Sentenced to Public Hanging

Iran Human Rights (IHRNGO); 12 February 2026: Saleh Mohammadi, a teenage protester and wrestler, has been sentenced to qisas (retribution-in-kind) for the murder of a policeman during the 8 January protest in Qom. The court rejected Saleh’s testimony that his confessions were obtained under torture, and ordered for his execution to be carried out publicly at the scene of the alleged crime.  On 4 February, IHRNGO issued a warning that, given the authorities’ systematic use of lethal force, reliance on torture-tainted confessions, disregard for due process and history of hasty and secret executions, detainees faced an escalating risk of mass death sentences, executions and extrajudicial killings.

Oklahoma executes Kendrick Antonio Simpson

McALESTER, Okla. (DPN) — Oklahoma executed Kendrick Antonio Simpson on Thursday for the 2006 drive-by shooting deaths of two men following a dispute at an Oklahoma City nightclub, marking the state's first lethal injection of the year and the nation's third. Simpson, 45, was pronounced dead at 10:19 a.m. at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary after receiving a three-drug cocktail, prison officials said. He had been convicted of first-degree murder in the killings of Anthony Jones, 19, and Glen Palmer, 20, who were shot while sitting in a car outside the club. Simpson admitted to firing into the vehicle, later telling authorities he was "compelled by paranoia."

Idaho death row inmate convicted of two separate rapes and murders dies in hospital

Idaho – Erick Hall, a long-time death row inmate convicted of the rapes and murders of two women in separate incidents in the Boise area, has died at the age of 54. The Idaho Department of Correction (IDOC) announced on February 10, 2026, that Hall passed away from natural causes at approximately 9:58 p.m. on February 9, 2026, while receiving care at a local hospital in the Boise region. Hall had been serving two death sentences for first-degree murder convictions stemming from crimes committed in the early 2000s. He was housed at the Idaho Maximum Security Institution (IMSI) in Kuna, where Idaho's death row is located. The first conviction came in October 2004 for the kidnapping, rape, and murder of 38-year-old Lynn Henneman. Henneman, a flight attendant, disappeared in October 2000 after leaving a Boise restaurant. Her body was later discovered, and the case went cold for several years until DNA evidence linked Hall to the crime.  A jury sentenced him to death following a trial t...

Singapore executes 33-year-old Malaysian drug trafficker

Lingkesvaran was sentenced to death in 2018.  A Malaysian man convicted of trafficking a significant quantity of heroin was executed in Singapore on Feb. 11, 2026, according to an official statement issued by the Singapore authorities.  Lingkesvaran Rajendaren, 33, had been found guilty of trafficking not less than 52.77 grammes of diamorphine, also known as pure heroin.  Singapore law mandates the death penalty for cases involving more than 15 grams of the drug.  The authorities said the amount involved was enough to sustain the addiction of approximately 630 abusers for a week, highlighting the harm caused by large-scale drug trafficking.

Oklahoma | Judge weighs Richard Glossip's second request for bond

Attorneys for former death row inmate Richard Glossip are again asking an Oklahoma County judge to release him on bond while he awaits a third trial in a high-profile murder case that has stretched nearly three decades. District Judge Natalie Mai heard arguments for and against Glossip’s release in her courtroom Thursday, Feb. 12. Glossip, 63, has been twice convicted and sentenced to death for the 1997 killing of Oklahoma City hotel owner Barry Van Treese. Prosecutors claim Glossip paid another employee, Justin Sneed, to kill Van Treese, and helped cover up the murder.

Somalia Executes Two Al-Shabaab Convicts Over Deadly Mogadishu Attacks

MOGADISHU, Feb 16, 2026 – The Somali federal government on Monday executed two men convicted of orchestrating a series of deadly assassinations and bombings in the capital, judicial officials confirmed. The executions, carried out by a firing squad following sentences handed down by the Armed Forces Court, took place early Monday morning in Mogadishu. The two individuals were identified as Hassan Ali Iftin Buule (known as Gacmey) and Hassan Ali Ibrahim Mohamed Ahmed (known by the aliases Baari, Biibaaye, and Sa’ad). Both had been found guilty of participating in terror attacks that resulted in the death and injury of numerous Somali civilians.

Florida | Governor DeSantis signs death warrant in 2008 murder case

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Governor Ron DeSantis has signed a death warrant for Michael L. King, setting an execution date of March 17, 2026, at 6 p.m. King was convicted and sentenced to death for the 2008 kidnapping, sexual battery and murder of Denise Amber Lee, a 21-year-old North Port mother. On January 17, 2008, Michael Lee King abducted 21-year-old Denise Amber Lee from her North Port home by forcing her into his green Chevrolet Camaro. He drove her around while she was bound, including to his cousin's house to borrow tools like a shovel.  King took her to his home, where he sexually battered her, then placed her in the backseat of his car. Later that evening, he drove to a remote area, shot her in the face, and buried her nude body in a shallow grave. Her remains were discovered two days later. During the crime, multiple 9-1-1 calls were made, but communication breakdowns between emergency dispatch centers delayed the response.  The case drew national attention and prompted w...

Florida executes Ronald Palmer Heath

Ronald Palmer Heath killed a traveling salesman in 1989; last year the state had a record 19 executions   A man convicted of killing a traveling salesman he and his brother had met at a bar has become the 1st person executed in Florida this year.  Ronald Palmer Heath, 64, was pronounced dead at 6.12pm on Tuesday after a 3-drug injection at the Florida state prison near Starke. Heath was convicted of first-degree murder, robbery with a deadly weapon and other charges in the 1989 killing of Michael Sheridan.  Around 60 protesters gathered outside Florida State Prison on Tuesday evening, a larger crowd than is typical for executions. Joe Lakers, an Iowa resident, came to protest Heath’s execution with the Our Lady of Lourdes church from Daytona Beach.

Israel | Netanyahu pushes to water down terrorist death penalty bill over fear of global fallout

Prime minister presses Itamar Ben-Gvir to amend proposed law mandating execution for terrorists, citing international and legal concerns as security agencies and opposition lawmakers push back. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has asked National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir to soften a proposed bill mandating the death penalty for terrorists, citing concerns over potential international fallout, officials familiar with the matter told ynet on Saturday.  Netanyahu’s aides approached Ben-Gvir, who opposes changes to the legislation, arguing that Israel cannot enact a death penalty law harsher than the standard applied in the United States. Sources said the prime minister and coalition leaders would not allow the bill to pass in its current form.

Japan | High court rejects retrial appeal over 1992 Fukuoka child murder

The Fukuoka High Court rejected an appeal on Monday for a retrial for the 1992 murder of two 7-year-old girls in the city of Iizuka in Fukuoka Prefecture, for which a death row convict was executed. The defense plans to file a special appeal with the Supreme Court against the decision.  In what's known as the Iizuka incident, despite the assertion of his innocence, Michitoshi Kuma's death sentence became final in 2006 based on DNA test results and eyewitness accounts. He was executed at the age of 70 in 2008.  The defendant's side submitted in the second round of its retrial request a woman's testimony as new evidence.