Skip to main content

Boston Marathon bomber’s appeal of death sentence marked by delays and secrecy

As the city marks the 12th anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombings, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev sits on federal death row for admittingly detonating bombs at the finish line that killed three people and injured more than 260 others. Yet, his fate remains uncertain after a decade of legal wrangling, as his lawyers continue to challenge his death sentence. 

The federal judge who presided over his 2015 trial was ordered by an appeals court in March 2024 to investigate defense claims that two jurors were biased and should have been stricken from the panel. If he finds they were, then Tsarnaev is entitled to a new trial over whether he should be sentenced to life in prison or death, according to the appeals court. 

That inquiry by US District Judge George A. O’Toole Jr. has been shrouded by secrecy. Last year, the judge ordered all filings submitted under seal, citing concerns about the jurors’ privacy and protecting the integrity of the high-stakes proceedings, though he later released some. And, recently, O’Toole denied a request to remove himself from the case by Tsarnaev’s lawyers, who argue that comments he made about the case on a podcast and at public events raise concerns about his impartiality. 

The defense has urged the US First Circuit of Appeals to overturn the judge’s refusal to step down.

Marc Fucarile, a Marathon bombing survivor who lost his leg in the 2013 blast, called the ongoing legal battle to overturn Tsarnaev’s death sentence “a disgrace for us victims.”

“The video evidence shows what he did — so why are we even talking about it 12 years later?” Fucarile, 46, of Reading, said during a telephone interview. “I think he needs to be put down to show that it’s not okay to kill innocent people. There has to be consequences.” 

Fucarile, who created a non-profit that supports the mobility impaired community and plans to be at the 2025 Boston Marathon cheering on eight runners who are raising money for his foundation, said it’s frustrating that “taxpayer dollars are going to defend a murderer,” while he fundraises for donations to help people. 

“I want him dead because the quicker he’s dead the less money we have to continuously spend on him,” Fucarile said. 

Other bombing victims had cited the likelihood that the case would drag out as their reason for supporting a life sentence for Tsarnaev if he were to waive his appeals. In a 2015 open letter to the Globe prior to Tsarnaev’s sentence, Bill and Denise Richard, whose 8-year-old son Martin was killed in the blasts, wrote that the pursuit of the death penalty “could bring years of appeals and prolong reliving the most painful day of our lives.”

 Attorney William Fick, who represents Tsarnaev, declined to comment. A spokesperson for the US Attorney’s office, which has opposed Tsarnaev’s efforts to overturn his sentence, also declined to comment. New York attorney George Kendall, who has handled hundreds of death penalty cases and followed Tsarnaev’s sentencing trial closely, said it can take decades to resolve legal issues in complex capital cases, and that “it’s not at all unusual” that Tsarnaev’s appeals are continuing to be addressed by the courts.

“I think most people understand that, because of the stakes involved, these cases have to be reviewed carefully,” Kendall said. “Most people would agree that if there are indications that two jurors were not candid during jury selection when their answers were given under oath, that’s a serious issue and that needs to be further explored.” 

Tsarnaev, 31, the son of Chechen immigrants who was raised in Cambridge, is being held at a federal supermax prison in Colorado. He admitted during his trial in federal court in Boston that on April 15, 2013, he placed a bomb in a backpack in front of the Forum restaurant on Boylston Street that killed Richard and Lingzi Lu, a 23-year-old Boston University graduate student from China. Tsarnaev was also found responsible for killing MIT police Officer Sean Collier days after the blast while he and his brother were on the run. 

Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev (right)
Evidence showed his older brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, placed the bomb a few blocks away that killed Krystle Campbell, 29, of Arlington. Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, later died in a firefight with police in Watertown. Boston Police Officer Dennis Simmonds, who suffered a head injury when Tamerlan Tsarnaev detonated an explosive device during a shootout in Watertown days after the bombings, died a year later from those injuries. 

The jury that heard Tsarnaev’s trial recommended death, rejecting claims that the then 19-year-old was not responsible because of the influence of his brother. In 2020, the US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit overturned Tsarnaev’s death sentence, ruling the trial judge failed to thoroughly question jurors about their exposure to publicity about the bombings and had unfairly excluded evidence that bolstered defense claims that Tsarnaev was controlled by his brother. Two years later, the US Supreme Court reinstated Tsarnaev’s death sentence, ruling that he received a fair trial.

Then, in March 2024, a panel of the First Circuit Court ruled 2-1 that O’Toole erred by denying a defense request to excuse two jurors during jury selection without thoroughly investigating claims that they lied about social media posts. 

O’Toole was ordered to investigate potential juror bias, and hold a new sentencing trial for Tsarnaev if he concludes that either of the jurors should have been stricken from the panel. During jury selection one juror said she had not commented about the case, but the defense found she had tweeted or retweeted 22 times about the bombings, including a retweet calling Tsarnaev a “piece of garbage,” according to court filings. 

Another juror said none of his Facebook friends had commented on the trial, yet one friend had urged him to “play the part” so he could get on the jury and send Tsarnaev “to jail where he will be taken care of.” 

The judge denied a defense request to question the two jurors about the online comments while jury selection was still underway. Now, the First Circuit is weighing the defense’s request to order O’Toole to remove himself from the case, which would require it to be randomly assigned to another judge. 

It’s also unclear what impact the Trump administration’s stance on the death penalty may have on Tsarnaev’s case. The Biden administration had imposed a moratorium on federal executions, but continued to support the government’s pursuit of the death sentence for Tsarnaev. Shortly after beginning his second term in January, Trump issued an executive order calling to “restore” the federal death penalty.

Historically, federal executions have been rare in the United States. Only 16 have been carried out since the reinstatement of the federal death penalty in 1988, according to the Death Penalty Information Center, a Washington, D.C., nonprofit that analyzes issues concerning capital punishment. 

Thirteen of those occurred in the final six months of President Trump’s first term. “We have a lot of enthusiasm being expressed by President Trump for the increased use of the death penalty,” said Robin M. Maher, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center. But, she said, “it’s a little too soon” to tell how he plans to do that.

Source: bostonglobe.com, Shelley Murphy, April 17, 2025




"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted."
— Oscar Wilde


Comments

Post a Comment

Offensive pro-DP comments will not be published.

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Alabama executes Jeremy Williams

Tennessee and Oklahoma have put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men in one day. Tennessee and Oklahoma put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other Thursday, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men by lethal injection in one day for the first time since 2010. The Tennessee man was executed for killing a maid at a motel in 1985, and the Oklahoma man for killing his girlfriend in 2003. In Alabama, a man was put to death Thursday evening for killing a 5-year-old girl he had paid her mother to abuse.

Tennessee executes Darrell Hines

The state has spent millions of dollars over decades to execute a seriously ill man who was already incarcerated. The state of Tennessee executed death row inmate Darrell Hines Thursday morning, according to an advocacy group.  No formal announcement of the execution has been issued by state leaders yet. The execution was slated for 10 a.m. Thursday at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville. [DPN update] Hines was pronounced dead at 10:43 a.m. CDT. His last meal was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, corn, fries, biscuits, a chicken sandwich, chocolate chip cake, and sweet tea.

Alabama Set To Carry Out Execution This Week

Alabama is preparing to execute Jeremy Williams, who pled guilty to the 2021 rape and murder of five-year-old Kamarie Holland.  The execution is scheduled for Thursday (August 13) at the Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, Alabama.  Williams, who is 41, requested the death penalty and waived his right to appeal, making this the first execution in Alabama this year.

Oklahoma executes Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez

Oklahoma has carried out 1 of 3 executions set for the same day in the United States in another sign of the resurgence of the death penalty in the country.  Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez was pronounced dead at 10:13 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 13, at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester.  He was put to death by lethal injection for the murder of his common-law wife in 2003 at their Oklahoma City home. He admitted to police he shot her twice during an argument.  Cuesta-Rodriguez, 70, did not fight for his life, stunning his attorneys in July when he told the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board that he didn't want clemency. "It's time for me to pay for what I did," he said. 

Tennessee set to execute Anthony Darrell Hines

Barring any last-minute interventions, the Tennessee Department of Correction will execute Anthony Darrell Hines by lethal injection at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville Thursday morning. This week, two courts had the opportunity to halt the execution: the federal court in Middle Tennessee and the U.S. Supreme Court. Gov. Bill Lee announced Tuesday he personally would not prevent the execution. “After deliberate consideration of Anthony Darrell Hines’ request for clemency, and after a thorough review of the case, I am upholding the sentence of the State of Tennessee and do not plan to intervene,” he said in a written statement. The U.S. Supreme Court has not granted a stay or reprieve.

Tennessee | The doctor who helps put prisoners to death

Dr. Mark Fowler assisted in the failed execution of a Tennessee prisoner. Physicians are meant to heal patients—why is he working in the death chamber? Mark Fowler, a physician with 25 years’ experience, stepped beneath the bright lights and approached the middle-aged man lying on a gurney. Around him, people in medical gowns prepared needles and sterile tubing. It had all the appearances of a hospital setting. Fowler had been called in to help establish an IV line through which the 57-year-old man, Tony Carruthers, would be injected with pharmaceutical drugs. The team had struggled to find a vein, so Fowler was summoned to set a central line—an intravenous catheter inserted into the major vein below the collarbone.

Iran’s War on Women: Executions, Floggings, and the Politics of Fear

The Iranian regime is increasingly using death sentences, corporal punishment, and judicial persecution against women—not only to silence dissent but also to intimidate a society demanding change. The Iranian regime has long viewed women as central to the country’s struggle for freedom—and therefore as central targets of repression. The nationwide uprising of 2022 fundamentally altered the political landscape, demonstrating that Iranian women were no longer merely participants in protest movements but among their principal organizers and symbols. Since then, the authorities have steadily intensified their campaign against women, expanding the use of executions, imprisonment, corporal punishment, and judicial intimidation.

The 'Black Widow' shakes Iran: 10 death sentences for a serial killer who killed 12 men

Kolthum Akbari, an Iranian woman widely dubbed the “Black Widow,” was convicted of serial murders of elderly men she married, often temporarily. Official accounts generally center on 11 murders (plus one attempted murder), though Akbari herself gave varying figures and investigations suggested she had many more marriages.  The sentencing occurred primarily in September 2025 in Mazandaran Province, with ongoing reporting and updates into 2026. The 56- to 59-year-old killer confessed to killing at least 11 elderly men after temporarily or officially marrying them; Iranian authorities have linked her to additional marriages and possible further victims.

Arizona prosecutors seek death penalty a second time for 2 inmates

County Attorney Brad Miller said Aug. 6 that the nature of the attack and both men's past criminal records meet the strict legal bar required for execution under Arizona law. FLORENCE, Ariz. - Pinal County prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against two inmates accused of violently killing a fellow prisoner behind bars, officials announced Thursday. Pinal County Attorney Brad Miller filed a Notice of Intent to Seek the Death Penalty against Pete Van Winkle and Tracy Hampton in connection with the fatal attack on Kenneth Thompson. 

Iran | Executions in Tabriz, Zanjan, Qazvin

Iranian authorities executed at least three prisoners, including two Turks, identified as Amrollah Dousti, Hojjat Khayat, and Yousef Bagheri, in Tabriz and Zanjan Central Prisons. Dousti and Khayat were executed on drug-related charges, while Bagheri was executed for “premeditated murder.” According to information received by the Hengaw Organization for Human Rights, Dousti, 40, from Bandar Abbas and a father of two, and Khayat, 51, from Tabriz and a father of three, were executed in Tabriz Central Prison on Sunday, August 9, 2026.