Skip to main content

Billie Coble scheduled to become oldest man executed in Texas during modern era of the death penalty

Billie Coble
Coble, 70, was sentenced to death nearly 30 years ago in a 1989 triple murder near Waco. He is asking the U.S. Supreme Court to stop his execution.

On Thursday, Texas is scheduled to execute a 70-year-old man for killing three of his wife's family members in the Waco area nearly three decades ago.

Unless the U.S. Supreme Court or Gov. Greg Abbott stops the execution, Billie Coble will become the oldest person Texas puts to death since the modern era of the death penalty began in the 1970s, according to prison data. He is part of an aging death row population; Coble is one of nearly 30 inmates who have lived on Texas’ death row for more than 25 years.

In a late filing, Coble asked the nation’s high court to stop his execution, claiming a recent ruling that tossed out a Louisiana man’s death sentence last year should apply to his case. In that ruling, the U.S. Supreme Court held that the defendant can insist his lawyers don’t admit to guilt at trial even if they think it’s the best way to sway jurors to vote against the death penalty.

Coble was convicted of capital murder in the 1989 slayings of his estranged wife’s parents and brother in McLennan County, court records show. He had been married to his wife, Karen, for a little over a year when she told him she wanted a divorce. They lived in the small town of Axtell, just across the street from her parents, Robert and Zelda Vicha, and down the road from her brother, Bobby.

According to court records, when Karen came home from work, she found her children tied up, and Coble approached her and told her that he had killed her parents and brother. At gunpoint, he led her to the car and tried to flee with her. She fought back, and eventually a sheriff’s deputy began following them before Coble crashed into a parked car.

At trial, the prosecution showed evidence of a long history of Coble brutalizing and molesting women, including his former wives and young girls. The jury also heard evidence that Coble had a traumatizing childhood; he lived in a state home for 12 years while his mother was institutionalized and enlisted to fight in the Vietnam War at age 17. He was found guilty of the murders and sentenced to death in June 1990.

But in 2007, the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals tossed out that sentence based on changing precedent on how explicitly jurors have to weigh mitigating evidence, like Coble's troubled childhood, that could make them lean toward the lesser sentence of life in prison. Still, after a jury weighed such evidence, Coble was again sentenced to death in 2008.


Even in the short time when his death sentence was lifted, courts always determined Coble to be guilty of capital murder. Now, in a last-shot petition to the U.S. Supreme Court, he is asking the justices to review his conviction, not his sentence, based on another ruling that the court recently handed down.

In Robert McCoy’s case out of Louisiana, a majority of the justices held that under the Sixth Amendment, a defendant has the right to choose the objective of his defense. At McCoy’s trial, despite his loud objections in court that he was innocent, his lawyers were allowed to concede that McCoy killed his wife’s family as part of an effort to sway the jury away from a death sentence.

The high court ruled last year that once McCoy communicated to the court and his lawyers that he objected to his lawyer’s strategy, “a concession of guilt should have been off the table.”

Coble’s current attorney, A. Richard Ellis, claims the McCoy ruling should also apply to his client since Coble also objected to his lawyers’ strategy. His petition to the high court said that before Coble’s trial, his lawyers filed a notice that they would raise an insanity defense, but after the state rested its case in the guilt phase of the trial, they “abruptly changed course.”

Ellis said that in a stunning move, Coble’s trial lawyers largely just played silent footage of scenes from Vietnam and, in closing, conceded that Coble was guilty. He said Coble’s objective was to present a defense.

But there are some key differences between Coble’s and McCoy’s cases: Coble seemingly only objected to his lawyers, not the court itself, about the defense being presented, and he didn’t want to claim innocence — he simply didn’t want to concede guilt.

Those differences are partially why the state has argued Coble’s petition should be denied and his execution carried out. The state claimed Coble didn’t complain about his lawyer’s strategy until he was in the appeals process, which the McCoy ruling doesn’t apply to, and that courts already rejected Coble's earlier appeals based on claims of faulty trial lawyers.

“The public’s interest is not advanced by staying Coble’s execution to consider a procedurally defaulted and meritless claim based on a decision handed down three decades after Coble terrorized and murdered his ex-wife’s entire family,” wrote Texas Assistant Attorney General Gwendolyn Vindell in the state’s brief to the high court Monday.

Ellis has countered that the McCoy ruling needed to be clarified to explain if it applies to what happened at Coble’s trial, saying that there are a number of things in the ruling left unclear — like whether defendants need to voice their objection explicitly to the court.

“They’re not schooled in the law, they don’t know what to say, and they don’t even know if they’re allowed to say it,” Ellis told The Texas Tribune on Monday. “It’s a pretty good assumption that the Supreme Court will want to clarify the contours of McCoy in the near future, and I think this is a good vehicle for them to do that.”

If the execution proceeds, Coble will become the second man executed in Texas this year, after Robert Jennings' execution last month, and the third in the nation. Five other executions are scheduled in the state through September, according to prison records.

Source: Texas Tribune, Jolie McCullough, February 28, 2019


⚑ | Report an error, an omission, a typo; suggest a story or a new angle to an existing story; submit a piece, a comment; recommend a resource; contact the webmaster, contact us: deathpenaltynews@gmail.com.


Opposed to Capital Punishment? Help us keep this blog up and running! DONATE!



"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted." -- Oscar Wilde

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Alabama Set To Carry Out Execution This Week

Alabama is preparing to execute Jeremy Williams, who pled guilty to the 2021 rape and murder of five-year-old Kamarie Holland.  The execution is scheduled for Thursday (August 13) at the Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, Alabama.  Williams, who is 41, requested the death penalty and waived his right to appeal, making this the first execution in Alabama this year.

Alabama executes Jeremy Williams

Tennessee and Oklahoma have put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men in one day. Tennessee and Oklahoma put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other Thursday, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men by lethal injection in one day for the first time since 2010. The Tennessee man was executed for killing a maid at a motel in 1985, and the Oklahoma man for killing his girlfriend in 2003. In Alabama, a man was put to death Thursday evening for killing a 5-year-old girl he had paid her mother to abuse.

Tennessee | The doctor who helps put prisoners to death

Dr. Mark Fowler assisted in the failed execution of a Tennessee prisoner. Physicians are meant to heal patients—why is he working in the death chamber? Mark Fowler, a physician with 25 years’ experience, stepped beneath the bright lights and approached the middle-aged man lying on a gurney. Around him, people in medical gowns prepared needles and sterile tubing. It had all the appearances of a hospital setting. Fowler had been called in to help establish an IV line through which the 57-year-old man, Tony Carruthers, would be injected with pharmaceutical drugs. The team had struggled to find a vein, so Fowler was summoned to set a central line—an intravenous catheter inserted into the major vein below the collarbone.

Tennessee executes Darrell Hines

The state has spent millions of dollars over decades to execute a seriously ill man who was already incarcerated. The state of Tennessee executed death row inmate Darrell Hines Thursday morning, according to an advocacy group.  No formal announcement of the execution has been issued by state leaders yet. The execution was slated for 10 a.m. Thursday at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville. [DPN update] Hines was pronounced dead at 10:43 a.m. CDT. His last meal was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, corn, fries, biscuits, a chicken sandwich, chocolate chip cake, and sweet tea.

The 'Black Widow' shakes Iran: 10 death sentences for a serial killer who killed 12 men

Kolthum Akbari, an Iranian woman widely dubbed the “Black Widow,” was convicted of serial murders of elderly men she married, often temporarily. Official accounts generally center on 11 murders (plus one attempted murder), though Akbari herself gave varying figures and investigations suggested she had many more marriages.  The sentencing occurred primarily in September 2025 in Mazandaran Province, with ongoing reporting and updates into 2026. The 56- to 59-year-old killer confessed to killing at least 11 elderly men after temporarily or officially marrying them; Iranian authorities have linked her to additional marriages and possible further victims.

Oklahoma executes Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez

Oklahoma has carried out 1 of 3 executions set for the same day in the United States in another sign of the resurgence of the death penalty in the country.  Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez was pronounced dead at 10:13 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 13, at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester.  He was put to death by lethal injection for the murder of his common-law wife in 2003 at their Oklahoma City home. He admitted to police he shot her twice during an argument.  Cuesta-Rodriguez, 70, did not fight for his life, stunning his attorneys in July when he told the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board that he didn't want clemency. "It's time for me to pay for what I did," he said. 

Tennessee set to execute Anthony Darrell Hines

Barring any last-minute interventions, the Tennessee Department of Correction will execute Anthony Darrell Hines by lethal injection at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville Thursday morning. This week, two courts had the opportunity to halt the execution: the federal court in Middle Tennessee and the U.S. Supreme Court. Gov. Bill Lee announced Tuesday he personally would not prevent the execution. “After deliberate consideration of Anthony Darrell Hines’ request for clemency, and after a thorough review of the case, I am upholding the sentence of the State of Tennessee and do not plan to intervene,” he said in a written statement. The U.S. Supreme Court has not granted a stay or reprieve.

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine issues three death penalty reprieves

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) – Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine issued execution reprieves for three death row inmates on Friday. In a statement, DeWine said he issued reprieves for Keith LaMar, Scott Group, and Davel Chinn, all of whom were set to be executed early next year. LaMar was scheduled to be executed on Jan. 13, 2027. He was convicted of aggravated murder for the deaths of five inmates during a 1993 riot at the Southern Ohio Correctional Institution in Lucasville. He received the death penalty for four of the killings. His new execution date is Jan. 13, 2030. Watch the latest NBC4 headlines in the video player above.

Arizona prosecutors seek death penalty a second time for 2 inmates

County Attorney Brad Miller said Aug. 6 that the nature of the attack and both men's past criminal records meet the strict legal bar required for execution under Arizona law. FLORENCE, Ariz. - Pinal County prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against two inmates accused of violently killing a fellow prisoner behind bars, officials announced Thursday. Pinal County Attorney Brad Miller filed a Notice of Intent to Seek the Death Penalty against Pete Van Winkle and Tracy Hampton in connection with the fatal attack on Kenneth Thompson. 

Iran’s War on Women: Executions, Floggings, and the Politics of Fear

The Iranian regime is increasingly using death sentences, corporal punishment, and judicial persecution against women—not only to silence dissent but also to intimidate a society demanding change. The Iranian regime has long viewed women as central to the country’s struggle for freedom—and therefore as central targets of repression. The nationwide uprising of 2022 fundamentally altered the political landscape, demonstrating that Iranian women were no longer merely participants in protest movements but among their principal organizers and symbols. Since then, the authorities have steadily intensified their campaign against women, expanding the use of executions, imprisonment, corporal punishment, and judicial intimidation.