|Mary Jane Veloso|
Jakarta. Attorney General H.M. Prasetyo confirmed on Tuesday (03/05) that the name of convicted Philippine drug smuggler Mary Jane Fiesta Veloso was not on the list of inmates who will face the firing squad in the third round of executions.
"She [Mary Jane] is still awaiting [finalization of the] legal process in the Philippines. When she was due to be executed previously, a woman surrendered [to the Philippines authorities] and claimed that Mary Jane had been a victim of human trafficking," Prasetyo said at the State Palace in Jakarta on Tuesday (03/05).
According to Prasetyo, the Attorney General's Office has already prepared the list of people to be executed, and coordinated it with the National Police.
"We only have to set the execution date. That is what we are still unable to decide at this moment. As for the executions, we have never said that we would stop them, because the war on drugs will never stop," Prasetyo said.
The attorney general said the government wishes to avoid protests against the executions.
"However, the execution should be done, as it relates to the sustainability of the nation. […] If it is already inckracht [a full legal verdict] we will proceed with the executions, in cooperation with the National Police," Prasetyo said.
Source: Jakarta Globe, May 3, 2016