FEATURED POST

U.S. | I'm a Death Row Pastor. They're Just Ordinary Folks

Image
In the early 1970s I was a North Carolinian, white boy from the South attending Union Theological Seminary in New York City, and working in East Harlem as part of a program. In my senior year, I visited men at the Bronx House of Detention. I had never been in a prison or jail, but people in East Harlem were dealing with these places and the police all the time. This experience truly turned my life around.

Texas executes George Rivas

George Rivas
HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP) — The leader of the fugitive gang known as the "Texas 7" was executed Wednesday for killing a suburban Dallas police officer during a robbery 11 years ago after organizing and pulling off Texas' biggest prison break.

George Rivas, 41, from El Paso, received lethal injection for gunning down Aubrey Hawkins, a 29-year-old Irving police officer who interrupted the gang's holdup of a sporting goods store on Christmas Eve in 2000. The seven escapees had fled a South Texas prison about two weeks earlier.

The gang was caught in Colorado about a month after the officer's death. One committed suicide rather than be arrested. Rivas and five others with lengthy sentences who bolted with him were returned to Texas where they separately were convicted of capital murder and sentenced to die.

Rivas became the second of the group executed. He was pronounced dead at 6:22 p.m., 10 minutes after the injection began.

The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles this week voted 7-0, rejecting a clemency petition for Rivas. No 11th-hour appeals were made to try to head off the execution, the second this year in the nation's most active death penalty state.

Before being put to death, George Rivas said: "For Aubrey Hawkins' family, I apologized for everything that happened ... not because I'm here, but for closure in your hearts. I really believe you deserve that.

Full text of George Rivas' final statement: "First of all, for the Aubrey Hawkins family, I do apologize for everything that happened. Not because I am here, but for closure in your hearts. I really believe you deserve that.To my wife, Cheri. I am so grateful you’re in my life. I love you so dearly. Thank you to my sister and dear friend, Katherine Cox, my son and my family. Friends and family, I love you so dearly. To my friends, all the guys on the row, you have my courtesy and respect. Thank you to the people involved and the courtesy of the officers. I am grateful for everything in my life. To my wife, take care of yourself, I will be waiting for you. I love you, God bless. I am ready to go." 

Source: AP, Feb. 29, 2012

Most Viewed (Last 7 Days)

20 Minutes to Death: Witness to the Last Execution in France

Alabama SC approves second nitrogen gas execution

Utah requests execution of death row inmate

Arkansas Supreme Court Decision Allows New DNA Testing in Case of the ​“West Memphis Three,” Convicted of Killing Three Children in 1993

U.S. | I'm a Death Row Pastor. They're Just Ordinary Folks

North Texas jury sentences killer to death penalty for shooting Burleson woman, cop

Iraq executes 11 people convicted of terrorism crimes

Alabama approves second nitrogen hypoxia execution