Skip to main content

Iran | Executions in Shiraz, Qom, Urmia

Hengaw – Tuesday, May 19, 2026—Iranian authorities executed a prisoner from Shiraz identified as Saeid Rahmanirad, who had previously been sentenced to death on charges of premeditated murder by the Iranian judiciary, at Adelabad Prison in Shiraz.

According to information received by Hengaw Organization for Human Rights, the execution was carried out at dawn on Sunday, May 17, 2026, at Shiraz Central Prison, commonly known as Adelabad Prison. Rahmanirad, 30, had been convicted of “premeditated murder” by the Iranian judiciary.

Informed sources stated that Rahmanirad was arrested four years ago following a street altercation that resulted in a fatality. He was later sentenced to qisas (retribution-in-kind) by the Iranian judiciary.

The execution has not been publicly announced by Iranian state media or official institutions, including the judiciary.

Executions in Qom


Hengaw – Friday, May 15, 2026—Iranian authorities have executed a prisoner identified as Reza Soleimani in Qom Central Prison. He had previously been sentenced to death on drug-related charges.

According to information obtained by the Hengaw Organization for Human Rights, the execution of Reza Soleimani, a 56-year-old father of three, was carried out at dawn on Wednesday, May 13, 2026, in Qom Central Prison.

Sources told Hengaw that Soleimani had been arrested in Qom two years ago on charges related to drug offenses and was later sentenced to death by the Iranian judiciary.

Iranian state media, particularly outlets affiliated with the judiciary, have not officially announced the execution.

Families denied bodies of secretly executed Kurdish political prisoners


Hengaw – Monday, May 18, 2026 —More than two weeks after the secret executions of Naser Bakrzadeh and Mehrab Abdollahzadeh, two Kurdish political prisoners from Urmia, authorities have yet to return their bodies to their families and have barred public mourning ceremonies in the city.

According to information received by Hengaw Organization for Human Rights, despite repeated follow-ups by the families, officials at Urmia Central Prison have refused to hand over the bodies and reportedly told relatives that “no bodies will be returned.” Authorities also prevented memorial ceremonies from being held in Urmia by blocking gatherings at the families’ homes, forcing relatives to hold limited mourning ceremonies in their native villages instead.

The executions were carried out in secret without granting either prisoner a final visit with family members or notifying their lawyers in advance.

Hengaw has learned that following the executions, the families of both prisoners were summoned and threatened by security institutions, including the Intelligence Department, and warned against holding memorial services in Urmia. A mourning ceremony for Naser Bakrzadeh was ultimately held in the village of Golaz in Oshnavieh (Shno) County, while a ceremony for Mehrab Abdollahzadeh took place in the village of Khoshalan near Urmia with only a limited number of attendees.

According to an informed source, after the execution of 26-year-old Kurdish political prisoner Naser Bakrzadeh on May 2, government forces contacted his family by phone and told them: “We executed your son and threw away his body. Go find it yourselves.”

Hengaw Organization for Human Rights considers the executions and continued withholding of the prisoners’ bodies to be clear examples of enforced disappearance and state killing, carried out in violation of international fair trial standards and fundamental human rights principles.

The case of Naser Bakrzadeh

Naser Bakrzadeh’s death sentence was upheld for a third time by the Supreme Court on April 19 after two previous rulings had been overturned and referred to parallel branches for review. His lawyers were informed of the final ruling five days later, on April 24.

Despite an urgent request for judicial review submitted by his lawyers, Bakrzadeh was summoned on April 29 to meet with an official from the Enforcement of Sentences Office at the Revolutionary Prosecutor’s Office. He was then removed from prison in a refrigerated vehicle and transferred to an undisclosed location.

Following the third confirmation of his death sentence, Bakrzadeh’s parents released a video in May appealing for the execution to be halted and repeatedly insisting on their son’s innocence. After the video was published, he reportedly came under renewed security pressure before being transferred from Urmia Central Prison to an undisclosed location on April 29.

Amir Raisian, one of Bakrzadeh’s lawyers, later announced that access to the case file through the judiciary’s Sana system had been restricted and that no information regarding possible decisions in the case was available.

Another lawyer, Seydad Shirzadeh, wrote on X that Branch 2 of the Urmia Revolutionary Court had sentenced Bakrzadeh to death for a third time despite Branch 39 of the Supreme Court twice overturning the verdict over serious legal flaws. According to Shirzadeh, the deficiencies identified by the Supreme Court remained unresolved in the final ruling and were ignored by the Revolutionary Court.

Branch 1 of the Urmia Revolutionary Court, presided over by Judge Najafzadeh, sentenced Bakrzadeh to death on charges of “spying for Israel” on November 2, 2024. The verdict was later overturned on appeal by Branch 39 of the Supreme Court and referred to a parallel branch.

He was later retried by Branch 2 of the Urmia Revolutionary Court, headed by Judge Shahini, and again sentenced to death on the same charge. That ruling was also overturned in November 2025 by Branch 39 of the Supreme Court and referred once more to a parallel branch. A new death sentence was issued in February 2026 and ultimately confirmed by the Supreme Court on April 24.

Bakrzadeh was first arrested by the Intelligence Organization of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) in Urmia on August 9, 2023, and was temporarily released several weeks later after signing a written commitment.

He was rearrested by IRGC intelligence forces in Urmia on January 2, 2024, and, after months of interrogation under torture and pressure at the Al-Mahdi IRGC detention center, transferred to Urmia Central Prison.

Following his execution, state media broadcast a video containing what appeared to be forced confessions by Bakrzadeh and fellow executed political prisoner Yaghoub Karimpour, accusing them of espionage. The footage underscored the Iranian judiciary’s continued reliance on confessions allegedly extracted under torture in cases involving the death penalty despite serious legal concerns surrounding the proceedings.

In the video, Bakrzadeh appears in an undisclosed location reading from a prepared text in front of a camera. He says he had sent photographs of government sites, including police stations, through social media. The report further claimed that he had intended to photograph sensitive locations such as Natanz and Parchin before being arrested.

After spending several months in the Kurdistan Region, Bakrzadeh voluntarily returned to Urmia believing there was no evidence against him, only to later face a death sentence by the Iranian judiciary.

Naser Bakrzadeh was executed alongside Yaghoub Karimpour at dawn on Saturday, May 2, 2026, at Urmia Central Prison.

The case of Mehrab Abdollahzadeh

In Mehrab Abdollahzadeh’s case, the Judiciary Media Center claimed that he and several others were involved in the assault and killing of a Basij member named Abbas Fatemiyeh during the “Jin, Jiyan, Azadi” protests in Nushinshahr near Urmia.

From the outset, the case relied heavily on “the judge’s knowledge” and alleged forced confessions, while no credible evidence existed to substantiate the charges. Abdollahzadeh was prosecuted alongside around sixty other defendants and was initially identified as the second defendant in the case. However, after many of the other defendants were released or left the country, he became the only accessible defendant and was sentenced to death despite repeated requests for forensic analysis of video footage, mobile phone location data, and scientific image verification.

Authorities proceeded without presenting conclusive evidence and ignored repeated requests for judicial review.

Branch 1 of the Urmia Revolutionary Court, presided over by Judge Najafzadeh, sentenced Abdollahzadeh to death on charges of “armed rebellion” (baghi) and “corruption on earth” (efsad-e fel-arz). Throughout the proceedings, he repeatedly denied the accusations and stated that his confessions had been extracted under severe torture in security detention centers.

Branch 39 of the Supreme Court rejected Abdollahzadeh’s request for retrial on February 17, 2026. Although another request for judicial review was later submitted, no order suspending the execution was issued, and the sentence was carried out despite ongoing legal proceedings.

The death sentence had previously been upheld by Branch 9 of the Supreme Court. The ruling was formally communicated to Abdollahzadeh in prison on December 18, 2025, and he was instructed to submit a request for clemency.

During the first family visitation session for political and ideological prisoners after a three-month suspension on April 28, Abdollahzadeh reportedly protested insults and mistreatment directed by a prison guard, Amirreza Ghaznavi, toward prisoners’ families. Following an altercation with the guard, Urmia Prison director Peyman Khanzadeh ordered that he be transferred to solitary confinement in handcuffs and shackles as punishment.

Abdollahzadeh was abducted by government forces during the “Jin, Jiyan, Azadi” movement in autumn 2022 and transferred to a security detention center in Urmia. After months of torture and interrogation, he was later moved to Urmia Central Prison.

Following his execution, state media released silent CCTV footage without any visible date or timestamp and claimed the individual seen attacking another person in the video was Abdollahzadeh striking Abbas Fatemiyeh. No evidence establishing the authenticity of the footage was provided, and it remains unclear whether the video was even related to the “Jin, Jiyan, Azadi” protests. Neither the time nor location of the alleged incident was disclosed.

Mehrab Abdollahzadeh, a 27-year-old Kurdish political prisoner from Urmia detained during the “Jin, Jiyan, Azadi” movement, was secretly executed at dawn on Sunday, May 3, 2026, at Urmia Central Prison.

Hengaw emphasizes that both political prisoners were subjected to severe torture and forced confessions throughout their detention and were denied fair trial rights. Their executions were carried out despite serious legal ambiguities surrounding their cases. Hengaw further believes the executions, carried out amid tensions related to the war involving Iran, the United States, and Israel, reflect the Islamic Republic’s use of wartime conditions to intensify repression, settle scores with political prisoners, and spread fear through executions.

Source: hengaw.net, Staff, May 15-19, 2026




"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted."
— Oscar Wilde
Globe
Death Penalty News For a World without the Death Penalty

Comments

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Prosecutors may pursue death penalty in Alex Murdaugh retrial, South Carolina AG says

Alan Wilson said prosecutors are “back to square one” and all legal options are on the table. South Carolina Attorney General Alan Wilson said Friday that his office may pursue the death penalty when it retries Alex Murdaugh in the 2021 murder of his son and wife. “In light of the Supreme Court’s decision, we’re back to square one on this case, and that means all our legal options are on the table, including the death penalty,” Wilson said. The state’s high court reversed Murdaugh’s double murder conviction in an opinion published Wednesday that accused a former court clerk of “egregious” jury interference.

Former Oklahoma death row inmate Richard Glossip goes free on $500k bond

Richard Glossip was released from jail Thursday, May 14, on a $500,000 bond, a major victory for the former death row inmate who has come so close to execution that he has had three last meals. Glossip, 63, is awaiting his third trial in his 1997 murder-for-hire case. He walked out the front door of the Oklahoma County jail, holding hands with his wife, Lea Glossip, as a stiff Oklahoma breeze whipped his hair. "I'm just thankful for my wife and my attorneys," he told reporters. "I'm just happy." His release came hours after Oklahoma County District Judge Natalie Mai set bail in a 13-page order that pointed to issues with the key witness against him.

Texas executes Edward Busby Jr.

Texas puts man to death for a retired professor's killing in its 600th execution since 1982  A man who experts for both prosecutors and defense attorneys had said was intellectually disabled became the 600th person executed in Texas since 1982, put to death Thursday evening for the killing of a retired 77-year-old college professor.  Edward Busby Jr. was pronounced dead at 8:11 p.m. local time following a lethal injection at the state penitentiary in Huntsville, hours after a divided Supreme Court lifted a stay over his disabilities claims. The execution followed a series of last-minute legal efforts by Busby's attorneys in a bid to spare his life after the nation’s high court lifted a stay hours earlier.

20 Minutes to Death: Witness to the Last Execution in France

The following document is a firsthand account of the final moments of Hamida Djandoubi, a convicted murderer executed by guillotine at Marseille’s Baumettes Prison on September 10, 1977. The record—dated September 9—was written by Monique Mabelly, a judge appointed by the state to witness the proceedings. Djandoubi’s execution would ultimately be the last carried out in France before capital punishment was abolished in 1981. At the time, President Valéry Giscard d'Estaing—who had publicly voiced his "deep aversion to the death penalty" prior to his election—rejected Djandoubi’s appeal for clemency. Choosing to let "justice take its course," the President allowed the execution to proceed, just as he had in two previous cases during his term:   Christian Ranucci , executed on July 28, 1976 and Jérôme Carrein , executed on June 23, 1977. Hamida Djandoubi , a Tunisian national, was sentenced to death for killing his former lover, Elisabeth Bousquet. He was execu...

New Mississippi billboard warns criminals: ‘Firing squad is legal’

DESOTO COUNTY, Miss. (WREG) — A billboard standing on Interstate 55 southbound as you cross the Tennessee state line and enter Mississippi from Memphis is sending a grim message to those coming into the state. DeSoto County District Attorney Matthew Barton recently announced the new billboard campaign, which features the sign reading, “WELCOME TO MISSISSIPPI. WHERE THE FIRING SQUAD IS LEGAL. THINK TWICE.” It references Mississippi’s law permitting execution by firing squad under certain circumstances for inmates sentenced to death. Barton says this campaign is aimed at deterring violent crime and sends a direct message to criminals entering Mississippi.

Will the US Supreme Court end nitrogen gas executions?

When President Donald Trump returned to office in January 2025, he directed his administration to “ restor[e] the death penalty .” His embrace of capital punishment helped fuel a surge in executions at the state level last year, as I previously reported , and led the Justice Department to produce a report on “strengthening” the federal death penalty, which was released late last month. In the report, the Justice Department defended the use of pentobarbital – a powerful sedative – for lethal injections, criticizing the Biden administration’s determination that it may cause “unnecessary pain and suffering.” Nevertheless, citing ongoing legal challenges to pentobarbital use and related problems obtaining the drugs used in lethal injections, the DOJ recommended expanding the list of federal execution methods by adding firing squads, electrocution, and lethal gas.

Arizona | Man who murdered pastor crucifixion style requests plea deal after parents killed in plane crash

Adam Sheafe, the California man who admitted to killing a New River, Arizona, pastor in a crucifixion-style attack, has asked prosecutors to offer him a plea deal that would result in a natural life sentence rather than the death penalty he had previously sought. Advisory council attorneys representing Sheafe sent a formal plea offer to prosecutors this week, about two weeks after his father and stepmother died in a plane crash at Marana Airport on April 8, according to 12 News. Sheafe, 51, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of William Schonemann, 76, pastor of New River Bible Church, who was found dead inside his home last April.

South Dakota | Latest appeal from state's lone death row inmate denied

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (KELO) — The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit has rejected the latest appeal from Briley Piper, the only person on death row in South Dakota. In March 2000, Briley Piper, along with co-defendants Elijah Page and Darrell Hoadley, conspired to burglarize the Lawrence County home of 19-year-old Chester Poage before abducting and murdering him by beating, stabbing, and stoning in a remote area.  Piper was subsequently arrested, convicted of murder, and sentenced to death, while his accomplices received either a death sentence—carried out against Page in 2007—or a sentence of life imprisonment without parole. 

Idaho eyes restart of death row executions as firing squad draws near

BOISE, Idaho — Idaho’s prison system has nearly completed execution chamber upgrades to carry out the death penalty by firing squad as the state’s lead method and will have a team of riflemen ready to go by the time a state law takes effect this summer. As part of the transition, the Idaho Department of Correction hopes to limit participation by its officers as the shooting of condemned people in prison to death is prioritized over lethal injection. Toward that effort, prisoner leadership sought to implement a push-button technology to avoid needing IDOC workers to pull the triggers.

Former FedEx driver sentenced to death for killing 7-year-old girl after delivery at her Texas home

DALLAS (AP) — A former FedEx driver was sentenced to death on Tuesday after he pleaded guilty to killing a 7-year-old girl he took from her Texas home while delivering a Christmas gift. Jurors in a Fort Worth courtroom decided on Tanner Horner's punishment after hearing about a month of testimony and evidence that included audio of Athena Strand's last moments from inside his delivery van. Horner, 34, pleaded guilty to capital murder last month in the 2022 killing just as his trial began. Athena's body was found two days after she was reported missing from her home in the rural town of Paradise, near Fort Worth.