Skip to main content

Japan | ‘I couldn’t stop crying for an hour’ – meet the 92-year-old campaigner who saved her brother from execution

Hideko Hakamada, right, and Iwao as a young man, left.

Hideko Hakamada’s brother Iwao was sentenced to death for murder in Japan in 1968. She campaigned tirelessly for his release as he spent nearly five decades on death row, being described as the world’s longest-serving death row prisoner.  

In September 2024, Hakamada was acquitted after a retrial – a court ruling that the evidence that incriminated him was fabricated. Here, 92-year-old Hideko celebrates her brother’s long-awaited freedom. 

I thought my brother would not smile in prison. So I smiled every time I visited him, so that he would not forget to smile. When I smile, Iwao also smiles. That is what I tried to do. 

Everyone knew he was on death row, so there was no point in hiding it. I kept a little distance from the world – I didn’t go to social gatherings. I think that’s how I was able to do so many things so hard for Iwao.  

I was in my 40s, I had a job. I would come home from work at night, and when I was home alone at night, my eyes would open suddenly in the middle of the night. Then all I could think about was Iwao. I couldn’t go to sleep. I had to go to work in the morning, so I drank whiskey to sleep. I drank too much. I drank every day. Then I realized I wouldn’t be able to help Iwao if I was like that, so I stopped drinking altogether. 

I was so focused on Iwao that I had no regard for anything else. I visited him a lot. I felt that I had to help my brother who was suffering. I was fighting for him because I thought it was only natural that he should be acquitted because he was innocent.  

"It is a crime for a human being to kill another human being, no matter what the government says." 

In November 1980, when Iwao’s appeal was dismissed and the death penalty was confirmed, everyone was there, from the lawyers to the supporters and newspapers. At that very moment, everyone seemed to be my enemy. 

Later, however, I was supported by the Japan Federation of Bar Associations and that kind of feeling has eventually disappeared. I am also very much indebted to Amnesty International. We went on a “Speaking Tour” throughout Japan together. It was about appealing to everyone. There were people who had never heard of the Hakamada case. 

Iwao was on death row, and we didn’t know what tomorrow would be. But I believe that appealing to these people made a difference. 

I used to accept the death penalty without giving it much thought.  But after what happened with Iwao, I became against the death penalty. It is a crime for a human being to kill another human being, no matter what the government says. 

"Do not go silent. You must always express that you are against it. We need a world where the death penalty is no more."

Some people may say that there are people who seem to deserve death penalty, but criminals are still human beings. Some may be rehabilitated, and some may not be rehabilitated, but they are still human beings. I believe that we have to take care of human beings.  

I think it is important for everyone to speak out against the death penalty, even if it may or may not work, rather than just saying nothing because no one will listen. Do not go silent. You must always express that you are against it. We need a world where the death penalty is no more. I believe that the death penalty will eventually be abolished. 

We have been fighting for 58 years. We have received support not only from all over Japan, but also from overseas. I would like to express my gratitude to everyone for their support. It was not because of the hard work on my end that Iwao was saved. It was only possible because of this support. 

When the judge said that the defendant is not guilty in court, the judge’s voice sounded divine. I was so moved and happy that I burst into tears. I couldn’t stop crying for about an hour. 

Source: Amnesty International, Staff, February 14, 2025

_____________________________________________________________________








"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted."

— Oscar Wilde



Comments

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Tennessee Supreme Court denies stay for death row inmate Christa Pike

(TNND) — As Tennessee prepares for a Sept. 30 execution, the Tennessee Supreme Court has denied death row inmate Christa Gail Pike’s request to stop it. The court rejected Pike’s challenge to the state’s lethal-injection protocol, finding that her thrombocytosis diagnosis, a condition involving elevated blood platelets, did not show the execution would violate the Eighth Amendment ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

Tennessee Woman Christa Pike Survives Lethal Injection, Ends Up in Hospital; Governor Halts Executions

Tennessee unable to carry out the execution by lethal injection of Christa Gail Pike Tennessee officials were unable to put Christa Gail Pike to death for a 1995 murder Wednesday, media witnesses said, after the lethal injection was halted for hours as courts considered a last-minute appeal of what would have been the state's 1st execution of a woman in at least 200 years.  Pike, 50, had been scheduled for execution for a killing she committed at age 18 after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned an appeals court ruling that stopped the lethal injection just an hour before it was to start. Officials then attempted to go ahead with it as planned. 

Florida | He executed death row prisoners. Then they came back to haunt him

Dunnellon, Florida—Every night, one of the men Ron McAndrew killed would sit at the foot of his bed and stare, blankly, into his tortured soul. He knew they were coming. He’d shift over in his sheets to make room. “They never said anything,” McAndrew recalls, his aged voice straining from the weight of the memory. “They just sat there and looked at me.” But their eyes would talk. They would ask, "How could you do such a thing?’” says McAndrew. “You always claimed to be a good person. And now you’re killing people.”

Tennessee | Governor permits Christa Pike execution: 'I am upholding the sentence'

Gov. Bill Lee does not plan to stop Christa Pike's execution. Pike, 50, is scheduled to be killed by lethal injection 10 a.m. Sept. 30 at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville. “After deliberate consideration of Christa Gail Pike’s request for clemency, and after a thorough review of the case, I am upholding the sentence of the State of Tennessee and do not plan to intervene," Lee said in a statement released Sept. 28. Pike's attorneys lamented the news.

Philippines | President Marcos Grants Absolute Pardon to Mary Jane Veloso

President Marcos Confirms Decision to Grant Absolute Pardon to Mary Jane Veloso  President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has signed an absolute pardon for Mary Jane Veloso after more than a decade.  On Friday (September 25, 2026), the President confirmed the decision during a visit to Guiuan, Eastern Samar.  According to him, the pardon was officially signed the previous day, marking a major development in the case.  

Florida executes Curtis Beasley

A 77-year-old man convicted of killing a woman with a hammer has become the 16th person executed this year in Florida  A 77-year-old Florida man was put to death Tuesday for his conviction in a deadly hammer attack on a woman decades ago, becoming the 16th person executed to date this year in the nation’s busiest death chamber.  Curtis Wilkie Beasley was pronounced dead at 6:12 p.m. following a lethal injection at Florida State Prison near Starke. He was convicted of 1st-degree murder, robbery, and grand theft auto in the 1995 hammer attack on Carolyn Monfort at her home south of Orlando. 

William Thompson Faces Execution in Florida Amid Dementia, Terminal Illness Concerns

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed an exe­cu­tion war­rant for 74-year-old pris­on­er William ​“Bill” Thompson less than 24 hours after he was released from the hos­pi­tal to the hos­pice wing of the prison. After his attor­neys raised seri­ous con­cerns about his men­tal com­pe­ten­cy and dete­ri­o­rat­ing phys­i­cal health, Gov. DeSantis agreed to tem­porar­i­ly stay the exe­cu­tion so Mr. Thompson’s com­pe­ten­cy can be eval­u­at­ed on October 1. If he is found com­pe­tent, his exe­cu­tion remains sched­uled for October 13.

Texas executes Ker’Sean Ramey

Texas executes man for a triple killing, days after other man convicted in case was put to death  A man was executed Wednesday evening in Texas for a triple killing committed during an attempted robbery at a rural home, 1 week after the other man convicted in the case was put to death.  Ker’Sean Ramey, 41, was pronounced dead at 6:34 p.m. CDT following a lethal injection at the state penitentiary in Huntsville. He was the 6th person executed this year in Texas, with 3 more lethal injections scheduled in the state over the next 2 months. 

Singapore | Ministry of Home Affairs refutes claims that death penalty was discussed during visit by Israel's security ministry

The Ministry of Home Affairs says discussions with the Israeli government involved the sharing of best practices in emergency response, crime prevention, and forensics. Issues relating to the death penalty “were never part of the meeting and were not discussed."  SINGAPORE: The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on Friday (Sep 11) refuted claims by an Israeli media outlet that the death penalty was discussed during a visit by an Israeli delegation in May. The Haaretz newspaper reported on Sep 7 that a delegation comprising representatives from the Israel Prison Service and National Security Ministry made a “secret visit” to Singapore that month.

DNA evidence doesn’t match man who spent decades on death row, Utah prosecutors say

Douglas Stewart Carter, 71, was sentenced to death in 1985 after a jury found him guilty of murdering Eva Olesen Prosecutors are dropping their plan to seek the death penalty in an upcoming retrial of a Utah man who spent decades on death row for a 1985 killing in which newly analyzed DNA evidence did not match him. Douglas Stewart Carter, 71, was sentenced to death in 1985 after a jury found him guilty of murdering Eva Olesen, the aunt of a former Provo police chief. The state Supreme Court last year ordered a new trial, citing misconduct by investigators. Carter remains in custody and maintains his innocence.