Skip to main content

USA | Prisoners At Rikers Say It’s Like A ‘Death Sentence’ As Coronavirus Spreads

Rikers Island
The COVID-19 infection rate in NYC jails is 87 times higher than the overall U.S. rate, and prisoners have no way to protect themselves.

Junior Wilson is worried the coronavirus could kill him. The 57-year-old relies on a pacemaker to keep his heartbeat regular and could have trouble breathing if he catches the virus. But unlike many Americans, he can’t isolate himself or disinfect his hands with sanitizer. For the past seven months, he’s been held on Rikers Island for a parole violation, in an infirmary unit filled with people who have health issues. 

Wilson says he sleeps in a bed a few feet away from men who are constantly sneezing and coughing and that new people are arriving on his floor every day. Nobody is removed unless they test positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, giving the virus plenty of time to spread before the results come in, according to Wilson. 

On Wednesday, Wilson developed a cough, sore muscles and diarrhea ― symptoms that have not gone away. He and the roughly 28 others in his section threatened to go on a hunger strike if they didn’t get masks.

“They give us nothing to protect us,” he said of the staff at Rikers. “I just feel like I’m sitting on death row, waiting to die.”

A jail on Rikers Island is one of the most dangerous places to be as the coronavirus outbreak spreads. The rate of infection in New York City’s jails is seven times higher than in the rest of the city, and 87 times higher than in the U.S. overall, according to data analysis by the Legal Aid Society. 

“If the daily COVID-19 infection rate remains this high, the virus will engulf the entire local jail population in a matter of weeks,” the group said in a statement. 

New York City’s Department of Corrections won’t say how many confirmed COVID-19 cases there are at Rikers Island — but as of Friday, 103 incarcerated people and 80 staffers in the city’s jails had tested positive for the disease. A New York City Department of Correction investigator who had tested positive for the coronavirus died last week. 

Jails are high-risk environments for a contagious disease. It is impossible for most prisoners to follow recommended guidelines on social distancing, hand-washing, and disinfecting surfaces. Incarcerated people usually sleep, eat, shower, exercise and use the phone within a few feet of other people. Medical care in jail, even under regular circumstances, is often poor. 

Conditions at Rikers Island, the second-largest jail in the country, are notoriously bad. Several prisoners told HuffPost they are forced to sleep within a few feet of people who show symptoms like coughing and fevers, and said they can’t get masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, or cleaning supplies to protect themselves. Some don’t even have ready access to running water or soap. 

It can take up to two weeks to get medical attention, and people with COVID-19 symptoms are often not being tested or having their temperatures checked, according to a recent report from Brooklyn Defender Services. In fact, corrections officers pepper-sprayed eight prisoners earlier this month after they tried to go to a jail clinic to get their temperatures checked. 

NYC officials voted last year to close Rikers — which has become infamous for prisoner abuse and neglect — and replace it with smaller, more humane facilities by 2026. But those plans have been interrupted as Department of Correction officials scramble for space in the overcrowded jail to isolate sick prisoners. Earlier this week, the department reopened the Eric M. Taylor Center, a building in Rikers that had been shut down in March, to use as an overflow location for incarcerated people showing signs of COVID-19 infection. 

Legal Aid Society has filed multiple lawsuits arguing for the release of prisoners who are elderly, have health complications, are being held in pretrial detention, and who are being held for low-level violations. The group secured some victories, but thousands of people are still stuck at Rikers, waiting for the highly contagious virus to hit them next. 

“We keep talking about New York City being the epicenter of all of this in the U.S., but the truth is the epicenter is our jails,” said Kelsey De Avila, the project director of jail services at Brooklyn Defender Services. “I think death is inevitable. These are deaths that could have been prevented.” 

Wilson, the man with a pacemaker, is being held at the North Infirmary Command (NIC), a unit on Rikers with 150 beds for people who need medical care and another 260 beds in special units for people who need protective custody. NIC detains the most medically vulnerable people, including those who are over 50 with heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and asthma. People in Wilson’s unit sleep a few feet apart, eat in groups, and share a bathroom without about 30 people, he said. 

Now the NIC also holds people who have coronavirus symptoms. Most people in Wilson’s unit have been tested for COVID-19, but new people with symptoms show up every day.  

“You don’t know who is positive or negative,” Wilson said, adding that he woke up on Wednesday to find four new people in his dorm. Prisoners with symptoms are only transferred out of the NIC and put into quarantine after they test positive for the virus — something that has been happening daily, Wilson said.

That means that the prisoners at Rikers who are the most at risk of getting very sick from a coronavirus infection now have an even greater chance of getting the disease. 

COVID-19 is “going to hit Rikers like a freight train,” Wilson said. “There’s no if, ands or buts about that.”

New York City’s Department of Corrections wrote in an email that it “is ensuring there is an empty bed in between people in custody to increase space while sleeping” but “where this is not practicable, DOC is utilizing head-to-toe sleeping arrangements for people in custody in dorm areas.”  

William Jones, a 58-year-old detained in NIC, said people in his unit are “walking around sneezing and throwing up.” Jones has a heart condition, asthma, and Type 2 diabetes. 

“We have been sacrificed by the state,” he said. “Eventually, we are going to catch the virus and die.”

Marvin Watson, another man held in NIC, said he had been walking in the yard with a guy who tested positive for the coronavirus and was quarantined two days ago. “It’s really kind of mind-wrecking stuff,” said the 53-year-old with diabetes, “to not know if you’re going to catch it.” 

Without access to gloves or masks, prisoners have started wrapping their faces in towels, sheets and sweaters in an effort to protect themselves, one inmate said.

Even as coronavirus spreads throughout Rikers Island, the Department of Correction continues to bring additional prisoners into the jail complex. On Monday, approximately two dozen men were transferred from the Manhattan Detention Complex to Rikers, Sean Hernandez, one of the men in the group, told HuffPost. When the men arrived at Rikers, it was clear their cells hadn’t been cleaned since the previous group of men had been moved. They were “filthy and there was garbage everywhere,” Hernandez said. 

Hernandez, 33, is currently working through an appeal in his case. But his next court date has been postponed as a result of COVID-19 and he doesn’t know when he’ll have the chance to appear in court. He wasn’t aware of any confirmed COVID-19 cases at the Manhattan jail where he was previously held and he doesn’t understand why he was moved into a facility battling an outbreak. “I, personally, have asthma. This could be a death sentence for me,” he said. 

Hernandez requested anonymity in a previous HuffPost story but has since agreed to be named in hopes of raising awareness about the unfolding crisis at Rikers. Without access to gloves or masks, prisoners have started wrapping their faces in towels, sheets and sweaters in an effort to protect themselves, Hernandez said. He has repeatedly asked for gloves to clean the showers, a job he is required to complete three times a day, he said. 

”We’re being treated like second-class citizens, like animals,” Hernandez said. “I just want people to know, in case something happens to me. I could drop dead.” 

The corrections department claimed in an email that masks are provided to incarcerated people who are symptomatic and to those who live in a housing area that is exposed.

“To me, we were safer in MDC,” Damani Thomas, another prisoner who was recently transferred to Rikers, said in an interview. “We had soap, sinks, the showers worked, everything was clean.” At Rikers, Thomas said, the sink in his cell doesn’t work. 

Hernandez and Thomas said it is impossible to put any distance between themselves and other inmates. They are served food by another prisoner who does not have access to gloves or a mask. They eat at crowded tables. They suspect the house next to theirs, about 15 feet away, includes people who are sick. They have both seen people in hazmat suits approach the neighboring house. 

“We’re just in this house, waiting to die,” Thomas said. 

Mayor Bill de Blasio has said the city will release nearly 400 people from jail this week as part of the effort to minimize the spread of the virus. That move is too late, Di Avila from Brooklyn Defender Services said. To save lives and prevent the spread, the city needed to have let out thousands of people by now. 

“We’re going to see deaths, and all of these could have been prevented weeks ago,” she said. “This all could have been prevented.” 

Source: huffpost.com, Jessica Schulberg and Angelina Chapin, March 29, 2020


⚑ | Report an error, an omission, a typo; suggest a story or a new angle to an existing story; submit a piece, a comment; recommend a resource; contact the webmaster, contact us: deathpenaltynews@gmail.com.


Opposed to Capital Punishment? Help us keep this blog up and running! DONATE!



"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted." -- Oscar Wilde

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Alabama executes Jeremy Williams

Tennessee and Oklahoma have put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men in one day. Tennessee and Oklahoma put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other Thursday, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men by lethal injection in one day for the first time since 2010. The Tennessee man was executed for killing a maid at a motel in 1985, and the Oklahoma man for killing his girlfriend in 2003. In Alabama, a man was put to death Thursday evening for killing a 5-year-old girl he had paid her mother to abuse.

Oklahoma executes Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez

Oklahoma has carried out 1 of 3 executions set for the same day in the United States in another sign of the resurgence of the death penalty in the country.  Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez was pronounced dead at 10:13 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 13, at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester.  He was put to death by lethal injection for the murder of his common-law wife in 2003 at their Oklahoma City home. He admitted to police he shot her twice during an argument.  Cuesta-Rodriguez, 70, did not fight for his life, stunning his attorneys in July when he told the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board that he didn't want clemency. "It's time for me to pay for what I did," he said. 

Tennessee executes Darrell Hines

The state has spent millions of dollars over decades to execute a seriously ill man who was already incarcerated. The state of Tennessee executed death row inmate Darrell Hines Thursday morning, according to an advocacy group.  No formal announcement of the execution has been issued by state leaders yet. The execution was slated for 10 a.m. Thursday at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville. [DPN update] Hines was pronounced dead at 10:43 a.m. CDT. His last meal was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, corn, fries, biscuits, a chicken sandwich, chocolate chip cake, and sweet tea.

Israel builds execution chamber for Palestinians convicted of murder

In March, the Knesset approved legislation that calls for the execution of Palestinians convicted by a military court of killing Israelis Israeli authorities are preparing a prison wing—replete with an execution chamber—designated specifically for Palestinian prisoners convicted of murder, Israel’s i24NEWS channel reported Tuesday. The move comes after the Knesset (Israel’s parliament) approved legislation in March that calls for the execution of Palestinian prisoners convicted by a military court of murdering Israelis.

Tennessee | The doctor who helps put prisoners to death

Dr. Mark Fowler assisted in the failed execution of a Tennessee prisoner. Physicians are meant to heal patients—why is he working in the death chamber? Mark Fowler, a physician with 25 years’ experience, stepped beneath the bright lights and approached the middle-aged man lying on a gurney. Around him, people in medical gowns prepared needles and sterile tubing. It had all the appearances of a hospital setting. Fowler had been called in to help establish an IV line through which the 57-year-old man, Tony Carruthers, would be injected with pharmaceutical drugs. The team had struggled to find a vein, so Fowler was summoned to set a central line—an intravenous catheter inserted into the major vein below the collarbone.

Tennessee set to execute Anthony Darrell Hines

Barring any last-minute interventions, the Tennessee Department of Correction will execute Anthony Darrell Hines by lethal injection at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville Thursday morning. This week, two courts had the opportunity to halt the execution: the federal court in Middle Tennessee and the U.S. Supreme Court. Gov. Bill Lee announced Tuesday he personally would not prevent the execution. “After deliberate consideration of Anthony Darrell Hines’ request for clemency, and after a thorough review of the case, I am upholding the sentence of the State of Tennessee and do not plan to intervene,” he said in a written statement. The U.S. Supreme Court has not granted a stay or reprieve.

Florida executes William Frances Silvia

Florida executed its 13th death row prisoner of the year Tuesday evening amid the state’s aggressive use of the death penalty championed by Governor Ron DeSantis. William Frances Silvia, 61, who was convicted of fatally shooting his estranged wife and injuring his mother-in-law in 2006, was pronounced dead at 6:11 p.m. after receiving the lethal three-drug injection at Florida State Prison.  At 6 p.m. Tuesday, Silvia was already strapped to a gurney with an IV in his arm when the curtain to the death chamber went up.  He remained relatively motionless with his eyes and mouth open throughout most of the execution while a priest sat at his feet and prayed.

Alabama Set To Carry Out Execution This Week

Alabama is preparing to execute Jeremy Williams, who pled guilty to the 2021 rape and murder of five-year-old Kamarie Holland.  The execution is scheduled for Thursday (August 13) at the Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, Alabama.  Williams, who is 41, requested the death penalty and waived his right to appeal, making this the first execution in Alabama this year.

The 'Black Widow' shakes Iran: 10 death sentences for a serial killer who killed 12 men

Kolthum Akbari, an Iranian woman widely dubbed the “Black Widow,” was convicted of serial murders of elderly men she married, often temporarily. Official accounts generally center on 11 murders (plus one attempted murder), though Akbari herself gave varying figures and investigations suggested she had many more marriages.  The sentencing occurred primarily in September 2025 in Mazandaran Province, with ongoing reporting and updates into 2026. The 56- to 59-year-old killer confessed to killing at least 11 elderly men after temporarily or officially marrying them; Iranian authorities have linked her to additional marriages and possible further victims.

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine issues three death penalty reprieves

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) – Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine issued execution reprieves for three death row inmates on Friday. In a statement, DeWine said he issued reprieves for Keith LaMar, Scott Group, and Davel Chinn, all of whom were set to be executed early next year. LaMar was scheduled to be executed on Jan. 13, 2027. He was convicted of aggravated murder for the deaths of five inmates during a 1993 riot at the Southern Ohio Correctional Institution in Lucasville. He received the death penalty for four of the killings. His new execution date is Jan. 13, 2030. Watch the latest NBC4 headlines in the video player above.