Skip to main content

Former student guilty in slaying of visiting Chinese scholar

Brendt Christensen
PEORIA, Ill. (AP) — Jurors deliberated less than 90 minutes before returning a guilty verdict Monday in the federal death-penalty trial of a former University of Illinois doctoral student who abducted a visiting Chinese scholar from a bus stop and killed her at his apartment.

Brendt Christensen didn't move or show any emotion as the judge read the jury's verdict — a swift conviction that was widely expected after defense attorneys acknowledged at trial Christensen killed 26-year-old Yingying Zhang in June 2017 and said they would focus all their energy on persuading jurors to spare his life.

Zhang's mother, Ye Lifeng, cried inconsolably by the courthouse steps shortly after the verdict as someone stroked her hair and tried to comfort her.

Ronggao Zhang thanked jurors for what he called "this first step toward justice" for his daughter. He was alluding to the death penalty stage at which the same jury must decide if Christensen should be put to death .

He has said previously that the 29-year-old Christensen — who prosecutors say raped, choked and stabbed Yingying before beating her with a baseball bat and decapitating her — deserved execution.

"We have missed Yingying tremendously," Ronggao Zhang said in Chinese, reading from a statement. "We still could not imagine how we will live the rest of our lives without her."

Zhang's body hasn't been found and her father said they still wish to "find Yingying and bring her home."

"We will not give up," he said.

Judge James Shadid set July 8 for the start of the penalty phase, a sort of mini-trial that could last several weeks. Illinois no longer has capital punishment, but Christensen could be sentenced to death because he was convicted in federal court.

Of the 45,000 students attending the University of Illinois in Champaign, more than 5,000 are Chinese students, which is among the largest such enrollment in the nation. Those students have closely followed developments from the trial, which is being held at U.S. District Court in Peoria.

Zhang had been in Illinois for just three months — her only time living outside China. The daughter of working-class parents, she aspired to become a professor in crop sciences to help her family financially. Friends and family described her as caring and fun-loving.

"The tragic truth is Yingying is gone," prosecutor Eugene Miller said during closing arguments earlier Monday. "There is only one person responsible — and he sits right there."

Christensen twisted and pulled at a rubber band at a nearby defense table as Miller spoke. Zhang's father sat on a front bench several feet away, listening to a Chinese interpretation of proceedings through a headset.

Miller said Christensen abducted a stranger who was "an object for him to fulfill his dark desire — to kill for the sake of killing."

When Zhang still lived in China, Christensen had already decided he would kill "a petite woman who could easily be disposed of," Miller said, adding that Zhang was "the ideal victim" to Christensen.

Christensen, posing as an undercover officer, lured Zhang into his car when she was running late to sign an apartment lease on June 9, 2017, Miller said. He told jurors the muscular Christensen likely forced the 5-foot-4 Zhang into a 6-foot-long duffel bag he bought online days before to carry her up to his apartment in Urbana, Champaign's sister city 140 miles (225 kilometers) southwest of Chicago, where he raped and killed her. Miller suggested Christensen then carried Zhang's remains out of the apartment in the same bag.

The defense ended the trial as they began it, repeating the admission that their client, in fact, killed Zhang. The admission took the suspense out of the jury deliberation, and made a guilty verdict all but certain. Legal experts say the risky strategy could also be a basis for an appeal by Christensen.

"It's Brendt's fault," Elisabeth Pollock, an attorney for Christensen, said about Zhang's death. She added that he was "someone who lost control ... who battled these dark thoughts." She said he lost that battle and that Zhang died as a result.

Pollock said prosecutors were, in some instances, asking jurors to infer things that can't be known from the existing evidence — including what Christensen did to Zhang before killing her.

When she added, "We are here because the government wants to take his life," prosecutors objected and the judge stopped her. Judge Shadid told jurors they were not yet in the penalty phase of the trial and the only issue now was the defendant's guilt or innocence.

Jurors heard evidence that Christensen boasted he killed 12 others before killing Zhang, starting when the Stevens Point, Wisconsin, native was 19 and still living in Wisconsin. He began his studies in Champaign at the university's prestigious doctoral program in physics in 2013.

Miller referred to Christensen's serial killer claim during opening statements but not in his closing, which lasted more than an hour. The FBI said it could not rule out that Christensen killed 12 others. But Pollock, who addressed jurors for less than 15 minutes, told jurors Monday there was no evidence that Christensen killed before.

Prosecutors said Zhang was in the wrong place at the wrong time and that Christensen, who had fantasized about killing, was determined to take someone's life that day and had cruised around in his car looking for a victim. They said he had approached a different young woman earlier posing as an officer, but she refused to get in the car.

Christensen and his girlfriend, Terra Bullis, attended a vigil for Zhang on June 29, during which Bullis wore an FBI wire and recorded him giving details about how he killed Zhang. As they were leaving the night of the vigil, Bullis said she'd rather not call a ride-sharing service, telling Christensen: "My version of safer is walking at night with a serial killer." He responded: "Yeah. That's me."

Source: The Associated Press, Michael Tarm, June 25, 2019


⚑ | Report an error, an omission, a typo; suggest a story or a new angle to an existing story; submit a piece, a comment; recommend a resource; contact the webmaster, contact us: deathpenaltynews@gmail.com.


Opposed to Capital Punishment? Help us keep this blog up and running! DONATE!



"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted." -- Oscar Wilde

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

'No Warning': The Death Penalty In Japan

Stakes for wrongful convictions are high in Japan, where the death penalty has broad public support despite criticism over how it is carried out. Tokyo: Capital punishment in Japan is under scrutiny again after the world's longest-serving death row prisoner, Iwao Hakamada, was awarded $1.4 million in compensation this week following his acquittal last year in a retrial. Stakes for wrongful convictions are high in Japan, where the death penalty has broad public support despite international criticism over how it is carried out.

Louisiana's First Nitrogen Execution Reflects Broader Method Shift

Facing imminent execution by lethal gas earlier this week, Jessie Hoffman Jr. — a Louisiana man convicted of abducting, raping and murdering a 28-year-old woman in 1996 — went to court with a request: Please allow me to be shot instead. In a petition filed with the U.S. Supreme Court on March 16 seeking a stay of his execution by nitrogen hypoxia, a protocol that had yet to be tested in the state, Hoffman requested execution by firing squad as an alternative.

A second South Carolina death row inmate chooses execution by firing squad

Columbia, S.C. — A South Carolina death row inmate on Friday chose execution by firing squad, just five weeks after the state carried out its first death by bullets. Mikal Mahdi, who pleaded guilty to murder for killing a police officer in 2004, is scheduled to be executed April 11. Mahdi, 41, had the choice of dying by firing squad, lethal injection or the electric chair. He will be the first inmate to be executed in the state since Brad Sigmon chose to be shot to death on March 7. A doctor pronounced Sigmon dead less than three minutes after three bullets tore into his heart.

USA | Federal death penalty possible for Mexican cartel boss behind 1985 DEA agent killing

Rafael Caro Quintero, extradited from Mexico in 2022, appeared in Brooklyn court as feds weigh capital charges for the torture and murder of Agent Enrique Camarena NEW YORK — The death penalty is on the table for notorious drug lord Rafael Caro Quintero, the so-called “narco of narcos” who orchestrated the torture and murder of a DEA agent in 1985, according to federal prosecutors. “It is a possibility. The decision has not yet been made, but it is going through the process,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Saritha Komatireddy said in Brooklyn Federal Court Wednesday.

South Carolina | Spiritual adviser of condemned inmate: 'We're more than the worst thing we've done'

(RNS) — When 67-year-old Brad Sigmon was put to death on March 7 in South Carolina for the murder of his then-girlfriend's parents, it was the first time in 15 years that an execution in the United States had been carried out by a firing squad. United Methodist minister Hillary Taylor, Sigmon's spiritual adviser since 2020, said the multifaceted, months long effort to save Sigmon's life, and to provide emotional and spiritual support for his legal team, and the aftermath of his execution has been a "whirlwind" said Taylor, the director of South Carolinians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty.

Execution date set for prisoner transferred to Oklahoma to face death penalty

An inmate who was transferred to Oklahoma last month to face the death penalty now has an execution date. George John Hanson, also known as John Fitzgerald Hanson, is scheduled to die on June 12 for the 1999 murder of 77-year-old Mary Bowles.  The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals on Tuesday set the execution date. The state’s Pardon and Parole Board has a tentative date of May 7 for Hanson’s clemency hearing, executive director Tom Bates said.

Inside Florida's Death Row: A dark cloud over the Sunshine State

Florida's death penalty system has faced numerous criticisms and controversies over the years - from execution methods to the treatment of Death Row inmates The Sunshine State remains steadfast in its enforcement of capital punishment, upholding a complex system that has developed since its reinstatement in 1976. Florida's contemporary death penalty era kicked off in 1972 following the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in Furman v. Georgia , which temporarily put a stop to executions across the country. Swiftly amending its laws, Florida saw the Supreme Court affirm the constitutionality of the death penalty in 1976's Gregg v. Georgia case.

Bangladesh | Botswana Woman Executed for Drug Trafficking

Dhaka, Bangladesh – Lesedi Molapisi, a Botswana national convicted of drug trafficking, was executed in Bangladesh on Friday, 21 March 2025. The 31-year-old was hanged at Dhaka Central Jail after exhausting all legal avenues to appeal her death sentence. Molapisi was arrested in January 2023 upon arrival at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport in Dhaka, where customs officials discovered 3.1 kilograms of heroin hidden in her luggage. Following a trial under Bangladesh’s Narcotics Control Act, she was sentenced to death in May 2024. Her execution was initially delayed due to political unrest in the country but was carried out last week.

Oklahoma executes Wendell Grissom

Grissom used some of his last words on Earth to apologize to everyone he hurt and said that he prays they can find forgiveness for their own sake. As for his execution, he said it was a mercy. Oklahoma executed Wendell Arden Grissom on Thursday for the murder of 23-year-old Amber Matthews in front of her best friend’s two young daughters in 2005.  Grissom, 56, was executed by lethal injection at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester and pronounced dead at 10:13 a.m. local time, becoming the first inmate to be put to death by the state in 2025 and the ninth in the United States this year. 

564 People On Death Row In India, Highest Since The Turn Of The Century

In 90% of of all death penalty sentences in 2024, trial courts imposed sentences in the absence of adequate information about the accused, finds a recent report Bengaluru: Following the uproar and the widespread protests after the August 2024 rape and murder of a medical professional in Kolkata’s RG Kar hospital, there were demands for death penalty for the accused. The state government passed the Aparajita Woman and Child (West Bengal Criminal Laws Amendment) Bill 2024 (awaiting presidential assent) which included mandatory death sentence for rape which results in death of the victim or if the victim is left in a vegetative state, despite such a mandatory sentence being unconstitutional.