FEATURED POST

In the crosshairs of conscience: John Kitzhaber's death penalty reckoning

Image
To cope with his dread, John Kitzhaber opened his leather-bound journal and began to write.
It was a little past 9 on the morning of Nov. 22, 2011. Gary Haugen had dropped his appeals. A Marion County judge had signed the murderer's death warrant, leaving Kitzhaber, a former emergency room doctor, to decide Haugen's fate. The 49-year-old would soon die by lethal injection if the governor didn't intervene.
Kitzhaber was exhausted, having been unable to sleep the night before, but he needed to call the families of Haugen's victims.
"I know my decision will delay the closure they need and deserve," he wrote.
The son of University of Oregon English professors, Kitzhaber began writing each day in his journal in the early 1970s. The practice helped him organize his thoughts and, on that particular morning, gather his courage.
Kitzhaber first dialed the widow of David Polin, an inmate Haugen beat and stabbed to death in 2003 while already serving a life sentence fo…

‘Inhumane treatment’ prompts Uganda to ban maids from working in Saudi Arabia

Uganda is banning housemaids from traveling to work in Saudi Arabia after complaints of poor working conditions and mistreatment. A deal between the two nations had been signed in the summer of 2015 to send university graduates to the kingdom to work.

The Ugandan government said it had received complaints from workers of being inhumanely treated by their employers in the oil-rich Gulf nation, according to the Ministry of Gender, Labor and Social Welfare, as cited by Reuters.

The ban also comes in the wake of reports on social media that Ugandans in the kingdom had been tortured and imprisoned.

In July, the government of the African nation signed a deal with Saudi Arabia that would entitle domestic workers to an eight-hour working day, a return air ticket, decent accommodation, identity cards on arrival, health insurance and a monthly minimum wage of $200, Human Rights Watch reported.

Ugandan officials state that around 500 housemaids from the country had traveled to Saudi Arabia to work. However, an immigration official at Entebbe Airport, near the capital Kampala, told Reuters that around 100 Ugandans were leaving on a daily basis to find work in Saudi Arabia, given the high unemployment rate at home.

The Ugandan authorities say the ban will remain in place until working conditions are “deemed fitting.” Indonesia, Ethiopia and the Philippines have also banned migrants from traveling to Saudi Arabia until they could be assured the workers were given basic labor rights.

The Gulf kingdom has been slammed by human rights organizations for its treatment of foreign domestic workers, largely from Asia and Africa.

“Saudi Arabia's restrictive kafala (visa-sponsorship) system, which ties migrant workers’ legal residency to their employers, grants employers’ excessive power over workers and facilitates abuse,” a report by Human Rights Watch stated in November.

In October, Kasthury (Kasturi) Munirathnam, an Indian woman in her 50s, reportedly had her hand chopped off by her employers after she complained about her working conditions and asked to be paid money she was owed so that she could return home.

“He chopped off her hand when she tried to escape from the house through the balcony. Some neighbors and others took her to hospital,” her sister Vijayakumari said.

This is not the first human rights violation to have taken place in Saudi Arabia. In September, a Saudi diplomat in New Delhi who was accused of holding two Nepalese women as sex slaves and gang-raping them, claimed diplomatic immunity and filed a report against local police for invading his private property.

Source: Reuters, January 23, 2016

- Report an error, an omission: deathpenaltynews@gmail.com - Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

Most Viewed (Last 7 Days)

Convicted killer from infamous “Texas 7” prison escape gets execution date

Malaysian court sentences Australian grandmother to death by hanging

Nebraska seeks July 10 date for state's 1st execution since 1997

Post Mortem – the execution of Edward Earl Johnson

Ohio: Lawyers seek review of death sentence for 23-year-old Clayton man

Texas man on death row for decapitating 3 kids loses appeal

Amnesty International Once Again Highlights Shocking Justice System in Iran

Maria Exposto: Can she avoid execution?

In the crosshairs of conscience: John Kitzhaber's death penalty reckoning

Ohio man with execution set for July 18 blames killing on ‘homosexual panic’