Skip to main content

Bali 9 members ask Indonesia for "death penalty moratorium"

Andrew Chan, Myuran Sukumaran
Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran write an open letter calling for a moratorium on their executions as their last legal avenue for appeal was rejected

Drug traffickers Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran have received the official notice informing them of the Denpasar district court's rejection of their last legal recourse for appeal against their executions, with a letter delivered to Kerobokan prison on Thursday.

Just 1 hour earlier the 2 men released an open letter to the government of Indonesia begging for a moratorium on the death sentence.

The letter was delivered on Thursday morning by a court official, Mr Rudi, who showed the addressed envelope to media outside.

Earlier the 2 Australian men, sentenced to die for their part in the 2005 heroin smuggling attempt by a group known as the Bali 9, released a letter through evangelist Matius Arif Mirjara.

To government of Indonesia, we beg for moratorium so we can have chance to serve Indonesia and commit to bring more benefits on the rehabilitation process in prison. We believe in the Indonesian legal system that brings justice and humanity.

Mirjara said the 2 men are upset with the news, and are begging for a moratorium "because we believe that they bring more benefit if they have a chance to live in prison," he told media outside the prison.

"There is so much testimony about what they are doing inside. I also personally address the government to make special permissions to make special recommendations by the president for them to live.

The families of Chan and Sukumaran visited again on Thursday morning, but did not speak to media. On Wednesday the Denpasar district court rejected an application for the pair's cases to undergo a second judicial review. The controversial legal move divided the Indonesian legal system, with the constitutional court ruling prisoners could have more than one such appeal but the supreme court disagreeing.

The Indonesian lawyer for the pair, Todung Mulya Lubis, told Guardian Australia the rejection "can be considered violation of the constitutional court decision."

"[The] constitutional court decision is final and binding, and every court should adhere to that decision. I regret the rejection and reserve a right to take any possible legal recourse available," he said late Wednesday.

The Denpasar district court agreed to accept the application last Friday and spent most of this week deliberating before rejecting it.

Indonesia's minister of law and human rights said a new regulation to be issued in a few months' time would allow multiple judicial reviews but until then only 1 was permitted, including for Sukumaran and Chan.

Last week the attorney general, HM Prasetyo, said the so-called PK application and the pleas for clemency and talk of the men's rehabilitation contained in it did not constitute new evidence, but he would not interfere in the court process.

The Indonesian president, Joko Widodo, who rejected both clemency appeals, has vowed to take a hard line against drugs smugglers in Indonesia.

Last week Prasetyo said the 2 Australians would be among the next group of convicted people to be executed.

Planning of the executions did not pause while the application for another review was still active, but no time or place had been decided yet. Some embassies have been notified that their citizens will shortly be executed, but Prasetyo did not detail which ones.

The Australian embassy told Guardian Australia it would not comment on the case at this time.

Source: The Guardian, February 5, 2015

Report an error, an omission: deathpenaltynews@gmail.com

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Japan | High court rejects retrial appeal over 1992 Fukuoka child murder

The Fukuoka High Court rejected an appeal on Monday for a retrial for the 1992 murder of two 7-year-old girls in the city of Iizuka in Fukuoka Prefecture, for which a death row convict was executed. The defense plans to file a special appeal with the Supreme Court against the decision.  In what's known as the Iizuka incident, despite the assertion of his innocence, Michitoshi Kuma's death sentence became final in 2006 based on DNA test results and eyewitness accounts. He was executed at the age of 70 in 2008.  The defendant's side submitted in the second round of its retrial request a woman's testimony as new evidence. 

Oklahoma executes Kendrick Antonio Simpson

McALESTER, Okla. (DPN) — Oklahoma executed Kendrick Antonio Simpson on Thursday for the 2006 drive-by shooting deaths of two men following a dispute at an Oklahoma City nightclub, marking the state's first lethal injection of the year and the nation's third. Simpson, 45, was pronounced dead at 10:19 a.m. at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary after receiving a three-drug cocktail, prison officials said. He had been convicted of first-degree murder in the killings of Anthony Jones, 19, and Glen Palmer, 20, who were shot while sitting in a car outside the club. Simpson admitted to firing into the vehicle, later telling authorities he was "compelled by paranoia."

Oklahoma | Judge weighs Richard Glossip's second request for bond

Attorneys for former death row inmate Richard Glossip are again asking an Oklahoma County judge to release him on bond while he awaits a third trial in a high-profile murder case that has stretched nearly three decades. District Judge Natalie Mai heard arguments for and against Glossip’s release in her courtroom Thursday, Feb. 12. Glossip, 63, has been twice convicted and sentenced to death for the 1997 killing of Oklahoma City hotel owner Barry Van Treese. Prosecutors claim Glossip paid another employee, Justin Sneed, to kill Van Treese, and helped cover up the murder.

Iran | Teenage Protester Saleh Mohammadi Sentenced to Public Hanging

Iran Human Rights (IHRNGO); 12 February 2026: Saleh Mohammadi, a teenage protester and wrestler, has been sentenced to qisas (retribution-in-kind) for the murder of a policeman during the 8 January protest in Qom. The court rejected Saleh’s testimony that his confessions were obtained under torture, and ordered for his execution to be carried out publicly at the scene of the alleged crime.  On 4 February, IHRNGO issued a warning that, given the authorities’ systematic use of lethal force, reliance on torture-tainted confessions, disregard for due process and history of hasty and secret executions, detainees faced an escalating risk of mass death sentences, executions and extrajudicial killings.

Israel | Netanyahu pushes to water down terrorist death penalty bill over fear of global fallout

Prime minister presses Itamar Ben-Gvir to amend proposed law mandating execution for terrorists, citing international and legal concerns as security agencies and opposition lawmakers push back. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has asked National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir to soften a proposed bill mandating the death penalty for terrorists, citing concerns over potential international fallout, officials familiar with the matter told ynet on Saturday.  Netanyahu’s aides approached Ben-Gvir, who opposes changes to the legislation, arguing that Israel cannot enact a death penalty law harsher than the standard applied in the United States. Sources said the prime minister and coalition leaders would not allow the bill to pass in its current form.

Florida | Governor DeSantis signs death warrant in 2008 murder case

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Governor Ron DeSantis has signed a death warrant for Michael L. King, setting an execution date of March 17, 2026, at 6 p.m. King was convicted and sentenced to death for the 2008 kidnapping, sexual battery and murder of Denise Amber Lee, a 21-year-old North Port mother. On January 17, 2008, Michael Lee King abducted 21-year-old Denise Amber Lee from her North Port home by forcing her into his green Chevrolet Camaro. He drove her around while she was bound, including to his cousin's house to borrow tools like a shovel.  King took her to his home, where he sexually battered her, then placed her in the backseat of his car. Later that evening, he drove to a remote area, shot her in the face, and buried her nude body in a shallow grave. Her remains were discovered two days later. During the crime, multiple 9-1-1 calls were made, but communication breakdowns between emergency dispatch centers delayed the response.  The case drew national attention and prompted w...

Singapore executes 33-year-old Malaysian drug trafficker

Lingkesvaran was sentenced to death in 2018.  A Malaysian man convicted of trafficking a significant quantity of heroin was executed in Singapore on Feb. 11, 2026, according to an official statement issued by the Singapore authorities.  Lingkesvaran Rajendaren, 33, had been found guilty of trafficking not less than 52.77 grammes of diamorphine, also known as pure heroin.  Singapore law mandates the death penalty for cases involving more than 15 grams of the drug.  The authorities said the amount involved was enough to sustain the addiction of approximately 630 abusers for a week, highlighting the harm caused by large-scale drug trafficking.

Somalia Executes Two Al-Shabaab Convicts Over Deadly Mogadishu Attacks

MOGADISHU, Feb 16, 2026 – The Somali federal government on Monday executed two men convicted of orchestrating a series of deadly assassinations and bombings in the capital, judicial officials confirmed. The executions, carried out by a firing squad following sentences handed down by the Armed Forces Court, took place early Monday morning in Mogadishu. The two individuals were identified as Hassan Ali Iftin Buule (known as Gacmey) and Hassan Ali Ibrahim Mohamed Ahmed (known by the aliases Baari, Biibaaye, and Sa’ad). Both had been found guilty of participating in terror attacks that resulted in the death and injury of numerous Somali civilians.

Idaho death row inmate convicted of two separate rapes and murders dies in hospital

Idaho – Erick Hall, a long-time death row inmate convicted of the rapes and murders of two women in separate incidents in the Boise area, has died at the age of 54. The Idaho Department of Correction (IDOC) announced on February 10, 2026, that Hall passed away from natural causes at approximately 9:58 p.m. on February 9, 2026, while receiving care at a local hospital in the Boise region. Hall had been serving two death sentences for first-degree murder convictions stemming from crimes committed in the early 2000s. He was housed at the Idaho Maximum Security Institution (IMSI) in Kuna, where Idaho's death row is located. The first conviction came in October 2004 for the kidnapping, rape, and murder of 38-year-old Lynn Henneman. Henneman, a flight attendant, disappeared in October 2000 after leaving a Boise restaurant. Her body was later discovered, and the case went cold for several years until DNA evidence linked Hall to the crime.  A jury sentenced him to death following a trial t...

Iraq executes a former senior officer under Saddam for the 1980 killing of a Shiite cleric

BAGHDAD (AP) — Iraq announced on Monday that a high-level security officer during the rule of Saddam Hussein has been hanged for his involvement in the 1980 killing of a prominent Shiite cleric. The National Security Service said that Saadoun Sabri al-Qaisi, who held the rank of major general under Saddam and was arrested last year, was convicted of “grave crimes against humanity,” including the killing of prominent Iraqi Shiite cleric Mohammed Baqir al-Sadr, members of the al-Hakim family, and other civilians.