FEATURED POST

Communist Vietnam's secret death penalty conveyor belt: How country trails only China and Iran for 'astonishing' number of executions

Image
Prisoners are dragged from their cells at 4am without warning to be given a lethal injection Vietnam's use of the death penalty has been thrust into the spotlight after a real estate tycoon was on Thursday sentenced to be executed in one of the biggest corruption cases in the country's history. Truong My Lan, a businesswoman who chaired a sprawling company that developed luxury apartments, hotels, offices and shopping malls, was arrested in 2022.

I Spent More Than Six Years as an Innocent Woman on Death Row

Sabrina Butler
I was 18 when I was convicted of murdering my baby and sentenced to death, and 25 when I was finally found innocent.

I was 17 and living in Columbus, Mississippi, in 1989. One night, I went to check on my beautiful 9-month-old son, Walter. He wasn’t breathing. I scooped him up and frantically rushed to the neighbor next door, who could not help me. I ran downstairs where another girl took my baby, started CPR, and advised me what to do. I performed CPR all the way to the hospital. The CPR left bruises on his chest. At the hospital, the doctors said they had done all they could.

The next morning, I went down to the police station as I had been asked to do. When I got there, a detective yelled at me, “You know you killed your baby. You stepped on him with your feet and smashed him on the floor. You killed him.”

I was alone with no lawyer or parent with me. I told him I tried to save my baby. He wrote down what I said and threw it in the garbage. He yelled at me for three hours. No matter what I said, he screamed over and over that I had killed my baby. I was terrified. I was put in jail and not allowed to attend Walter’s funeral.

When I was 18, I was convicted of murdering my baby and sentenced to death. As a death row prisoner, I was alone in my cell for 23 hours a day. It was a good thing: if the other women could have gotten near me, they would have killed me because they thought I deserved to die.


Source: TIME, May 30, 2014

Most Viewed (Last 7 Days)

Missouri executes Brian Dorsey

Communist Vietnam's secret death penalty conveyor belt: How country trails only China and Iran for 'astonishing' number of executions

Why witnesses could only see part of the process when Missouri executed Brian Dorsey

Another Young Man Executed in Iran as Death Penalty Cases Rise

Japan | Death-row inmates' lawsuit targeting same-day notifications of executions dismissed

India | Efforts on to raise money to save man facing death penalty in Saudi Arabia

Missouri | Condemned inmate could face ‘surgery without anesthesia’ if good vein is elusive, lawyers say

Ending death penalty in Taiwan