Skip to main content

Mother of Bali Nine ringleader makes plea

Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran
The mother of the Bali Nine ringleader Myuran Sukumaran has asked the Indonesian president to give her son a "second chance".

The Indonesian Supreme Court this month rejected Sukumaran's final appeal against his death sentence for his part in the 2005 plot to smuggle more than eight kilograms of heroin from Bali to Australia.

Sukumaran was the last of the Bali Nine with an appeal pending, and like fellow member Andrew Chan, must now rely on clemency from Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono if he is to avoid a firing squad.

"President please, please give my son a second chance," Rajini Sukumaran told SBS's Dateline.

Reporter Mark Davis who conducted the interview, which was aired last night, followed Ms Sukumaran as she travelled to Bali to see her son for the first time since his appeal was rejected.

Ms Sukumaran said she hopes he will get a second chance.

"He has done a lot of good things in the prison to help a lot of people inside, and I'd ask the president to give him a second chance," she told Dateline.

Ms Sukumaran said she felt shocked when her son's appeal was denied.

"Myuran's doing well in the prison and we thought everything was going to be alright.

"I feel like something has been taken off me. I feel really lost. I don't know what to think anymore."

Sukumaran's sister Brintha said she doesn't think Australians understand what her brother is facing.

"I think because of the way it's been played out in the media, it's almost like, just a story, an ongoing story and it's never really going to end because something's always happening," she told Dateline.

"I don't think they realise that it might actually end one day, and that will be him being executed."

Source: AAP, July 18, 2011


Online petition to spare Bali Aussies from death

A SOCIAL media campaign has been launched in a last-ditch effort to win clemency for the two remaining Bali Nine members on death row.

Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran are due to face the firing squad unless Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono agrees that their death sentences for leading a heroin smuggling plot in 2005 should be set aside.

A group of Melbourne lawyers is spearheading an online push to place pressure on the Indonesian government, hoping to gather enough signatures on a petition through viral email, Facebook and Twitter.

Co-organiser John Riordan said the mercy campaign aimed to win worldwide attention in the next year, while Chan and Sukumaran wait for their clemency bid to be decided.

"We want to reach out to as many Australians and people around the world to show their support, put their name on the petition, and help bring to the President's attention that these two men have rehabilitated and they deserve to be shown mercy," Mr Riordan said.

"A lot of things are stacked up against us."

Dr Yudhoyono has dealt an early blow to the Australians' chances, saying last month that he rejected almost every foreign request for clemency "for the sake of justice".

The death penalty was revived as a politically hot topic after an Indonesian maid was executed in Saudi Arabia, sparking outrage among her countrymen.

Source: The Australian, July 18, 2011



Myuran Sukumaran from Mercy Campaign on Vimeo.


Andrew Chan from Mercy Campaign on Vimeo.

Bali Nine campaign could backfire: Kontras

A respected Indonesian human rights group has criticised a public campaign in Australia which aims to pressure President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono into sparing the lives of the two remaining Bali Nine members on death row.

Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran must now rely on clemency from Dr Yudhoyono if they are to escape the firing squad for their part in a 2005 plot to smuggle more than 8kg of heroin from Bali to Australia.

Their bid for clemency has now become the subject of a public campaign launched by a group of Melbourne lawyers who hope to use social media to gather signatures for an online petition to put pressure on Dr Yudhoyono.

But the Jakarta-based Commission for Missing Persons and Victims of Violence, otherwise known as Kontras, has urged the lawyers to drop the online campaign.

A spokesman for the organisation, which campaigns against the death penalty, said on Tuesday that a low-key approach through diplomatic channels had a much greater chance of success.

"It may disturb the pool which is calm now," the spokesman, Papang, said on Tuesday in reference to the online push for clemency.

"The effort should be done diplomatically with SBY's officials, using the example of how the president himself wants Indonesian workers (in the Middle East) also protected from the death penalty."

Dr Yudhoyono recently accused Saudi Arabia of breaking the "norms and manners" of international relations when it beheaded an Indonesian maid for murder.

The execution sparked outrage in Indonesia and prompted the president to order the payment of $503,000 in "blood money" to a Saudi family so it would agree to spare another maid from execution.

Darsem binti Dawud Tawar, who has now returned to Indonesia, had been convicted by a Riyadh court in 2009 and sentenced to death for murdering a relative of her Yemeni employer in Saudi Arabia. She claimed she acted in self-defence, after he allegedly tried to rape her.

Kontras warned that attempts to apply public pressure on Dr Yudhoyono to grant clemency to Chan and Sukumaran were likely to backfire.

"People will be saying that this issue was raised and funded by foreign people and Indonesia is being controlled by a foreign power," Papang said.

"The best way for now would be to adopt a diplomatic approach and focus efforts on trying to reduce the sentence."

Lawyers for Chan and Sukumaran have said they were likely to apply to the president for clemency but are yet to do so.

They have also urged for a diplomatic approach.

Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd raised the issue of clemency for Australians facing death or serving long sentences in Indonesian jails during a visit to Jakarta earlier this month.

Source: AAP, July 19, 2011

Related articles:
Jul 09, 2011
Myuran Sukumaran (left) Andrew Chan (right). Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd has used his visit to Indonesia to raise the issue of 2 members of the Bali Nine who have lost their final appeals against the death penalty. ...
May 20, 2011
"It's like bad luck to say anything," Myuran Sukumaran said yesterday, adding he was hopeful of a good outcome and happy Rush had been spared. But as for planning big events, like a wedding, he said: "It is very ...
Jul 09, 2011
Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran have both had their appeals rejected in the past month. The pair now face the firing squad unless Indonesia's president, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, grants clemency. ...
Sep 21, 2010
BALI Nine ringleaders Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran (left) will appear in court as their final appeals against the death penalty begin. It is expected the pair will tell judges of their regret and their rehabilitation ...

_________________________
Use the tags below or the search engine at the top of this page to find updates, older or related articles on this Website.

Comments

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Alabama executes Jeremy Williams

Tennessee and Oklahoma have put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men in one day. Tennessee and Oklahoma put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other Thursday, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men by lethal injection in one day for the first time since 2010. The Tennessee man was executed for killing a maid at a motel in 1985, and the Oklahoma man for killing his girlfriend in 2003. In Alabama, a man was put to death Thursday evening for killing a 5-year-old girl he had paid her mother to abuse.

Tennessee executes Darrell Hines

The state has spent millions of dollars over decades to execute a seriously ill man who was already incarcerated. The state of Tennessee executed death row inmate Darrell Hines Thursday morning, according to an advocacy group.  No formal announcement of the execution has been issued by state leaders yet. The execution was slated for 10 a.m. Thursday at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville. [DPN update] Hines was pronounced dead at 10:43 a.m. CDT. His last meal was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, corn, fries, biscuits, a chicken sandwich, chocolate chip cake, and sweet tea.

Oklahoma executes Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez

Oklahoma has carried out 1 of 3 executions set for the same day in the United States in another sign of the resurgence of the death penalty in the country.  Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez was pronounced dead at 10:13 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 13, at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester.  He was put to death by lethal injection for the murder of his common-law wife in 2003 at their Oklahoma City home. He admitted to police he shot her twice during an argument.  Cuesta-Rodriguez, 70, did not fight for his life, stunning his attorneys in July when he told the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board that he didn't want clemency. "It's time for me to pay for what I did," he said. 

Tennessee set to execute Anthony Darrell Hines

Barring any last-minute interventions, the Tennessee Department of Correction will execute Anthony Darrell Hines by lethal injection at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville Thursday morning. This week, two courts had the opportunity to halt the execution: the federal court in Middle Tennessee and the U.S. Supreme Court. Gov. Bill Lee announced Tuesday he personally would not prevent the execution. “After deliberate consideration of Anthony Darrell Hines’ request for clemency, and after a thorough review of the case, I am upholding the sentence of the State of Tennessee and do not plan to intervene,” he said in a written statement. The U.S. Supreme Court has not granted a stay or reprieve.

Tennessee | The doctor who helps put prisoners to death

Dr. Mark Fowler assisted in the failed execution of a Tennessee prisoner. Physicians are meant to heal patients—why is he working in the death chamber? Mark Fowler, a physician with 25 years’ experience, stepped beneath the bright lights and approached the middle-aged man lying on a gurney. Around him, people in medical gowns prepared needles and sterile tubing. It had all the appearances of a hospital setting. Fowler had been called in to help establish an IV line through which the 57-year-old man, Tony Carruthers, would be injected with pharmaceutical drugs. The team had struggled to find a vein, so Fowler was summoned to set a central line—an intravenous catheter inserted into the major vein below the collarbone.

Alabama Set To Carry Out Execution This Week

Alabama is preparing to execute Jeremy Williams, who pled guilty to the 2021 rape and murder of five-year-old Kamarie Holland.  The execution is scheduled for Thursday (August 13) at the Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, Alabama.  Williams, who is 41, requested the death penalty and waived his right to appeal, making this the first execution in Alabama this year.

The 'Black Widow' shakes Iran: 10 death sentences for a serial killer who killed 12 men

Kolthum Akbari, an Iranian woman widely dubbed the “Black Widow,” was convicted of serial murders of elderly men she married, often temporarily. Official accounts generally center on 11 murders (plus one attempted murder), though Akbari herself gave varying figures and investigations suggested she had many more marriages.  The sentencing occurred primarily in September 2025 in Mazandaran Province, with ongoing reporting and updates into 2026. The 56- to 59-year-old killer confessed to killing at least 11 elderly men after temporarily or officially marrying them; Iranian authorities have linked her to additional marriages and possible further victims.

Israel builds execution chamber for Palestinians convicted of murder

In March, the Knesset approved legislation that calls for the execution of Palestinians convicted by a military court of killing Israelis Israeli authorities are preparing a prison wing—replete with an execution chamber—designated specifically for Palestinian prisoners convicted of murder, Israel’s i24NEWS channel reported Tuesday. The move comes after the Knesset (Israel’s parliament) approved legislation in March that calls for the execution of Palestinian prisoners convicted by a military court of murdering Israelis.

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine issues three death penalty reprieves

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) – Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine issued execution reprieves for three death row inmates on Friday. In a statement, DeWine said he issued reprieves for Keith LaMar, Scott Group, and Davel Chinn, all of whom were set to be executed early next year. LaMar was scheduled to be executed on Jan. 13, 2027. He was convicted of aggravated murder for the deaths of five inmates during a 1993 riot at the Southern Ohio Correctional Institution in Lucasville. He received the death penalty for four of the killings. His new execution date is Jan. 13, 2030. Watch the latest NBC4 headlines in the video player above.

Arizona prosecutors seek death penalty a second time for 2 inmates

County Attorney Brad Miller said Aug. 6 that the nature of the attack and both men's past criminal records meet the strict legal bar required for execution under Arizona law. FLORENCE, Ariz. - Pinal County prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against two inmates accused of violently killing a fellow prisoner behind bars, officials announced Thursday. Pinal County Attorney Brad Miller filed a Notice of Intent to Seek the Death Penalty against Pete Van Winkle and Tracy Hampton in connection with the fatal attack on Kenneth Thompson.