Skip to main content

Florida executes Oba Chandler

Oba Chandler
STARKE -- More than two decades after tossing an Ohio mother and her two daughters overboard from his boat to their horrific deaths, Oba Chandler finally paid the ultimate price.

The 65-year-old convicted triple murderer was put to death by lethal injection late this afternoon at Florida State Prison in Starke.

He died as he has spent the last 17 years in prison -- alone. Chandler had never had a visitor during his time on death row. And that didn't change today.

Hal Rogers, husband and father of the victims, sat in the front row of the small viewing room outside the death chamber. On either side of him sat relatives and prosecutors who tried the case and sent Chandler to death row. Of the 32 witnesses, only his attorney in the death-appeals process, Baya Harrison, was there to support him.

A couple of feet in front of Rogers, Chandler lay on a gurney, his arms strapped down and a sheet covering nearly his entire body. Only his face and massive arms were uncovered.

"Inmate Chandler, do you have any last statement you'd like to make," the team warden in the room asked him.

Without opening his eyes or looking at anyone, Chandler said simply, "No."

The drugs to end his life began flowing at 4:08. He was pronounced dead 17 minutes later.

Though Chandler had nothing to say to witnesses before he was executed, he did leave a written statement behind.

"Oba Chandler last statement. You are killing a innocent man today."

It is not known how long before the execution that the note was penned.

Earlier in the day, between 10 and 11 a.m., Chandler, the smooth-talking con man who lured three tourists onto his boat and then killed them more than two decades ago, ate his final meal.

Chandler could have requested a final meal valued at $40, but instead requested two salami sandwiches and one peanut butter sandwich -- all on white bread, and ate both of his salami sandwiches but only half of his peanut butter sandwich. He asked for grape jelly on the sandwich.

Chandler did not drink the unsweetened iced tea he requested, but opted for coffee instead.

He took a shower and dressed in suit pants and a white shirt for the execution.

Gretl Plessinger, spokeswoman for the Department of Corrections, said that Chandler was "compliant" and was "doing what he's told."

Chandler, a former aluminum contractor who lived in Tampa at the time of the crimes, had been on death row since 1994 for the slayings of Joan Rogers and her teenage daughters, Michelle and Christe. The bodies of the three Ohio residents were found in the waters of Tampa Bay on June 4, 1989.

They were naked from the waist down. Their hands had been tied behind their backs and their ankles were bound. Duct tape was placed across their mouths, and another piece of rope attached to a concrete block hung from their necks.

They were thrown into the water alive, one by one, after prosecutors believe they were raped.

"One victim was first; two watched," Pinellas-Pasco Circuit Court Judge Susan Schaeffer said at Chandler's sentencing hearing on Nov. 4, 1994. "Imagine the fear.

"One victim was second; one watched. Imagine the horror," Schaeffer continued. "Finally, the last victim, who had seen the other two disappear over the side, was lifted up and thrown overboard. Imagine the terror."

But Valerie Troxell, Chandler's daughter who lives in Ohio, said in a telephone interview after the execution that "they executed an innocent man and I don't think anybody cares."

Jo Ann Steffey, a former neighbor of Chandler's who helped tip police to a handwriting sample that aided his conviction, however, was relieved.

"I'm glad it's over. I'm glad he's gone," she said by phone. "He was just so evil. He needed to be gone."

Evelyn Calloway served on the jury from Orange County in 1994 that convicted Chandler and then recommended he die for his crimes.

She said by telephone from her Orlando home she was feeling numb.

"I had a part in a verdict where a man's life was taken," she said. "But it wasn't right what he did and he had to pay the price. We did what we had to do."

Hal Rogers did not speak to the media after the execution, but a niece of Joan's did.

"The journey has been difficult for all of us involved," said Mandi Scarlett. "Now is the time for peace."

Chandler became the 267th person to be executed by the state of Florida since 1924. He was the 71st person since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976; no executions were carried out between 1964 and 1976.

He was the second man to die this year.

Source: Tampa Bay Online, November 15, 2011

Comments

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Death penalty options expanded in proposed Arizona bills

PHOENIX — Arizona lawmakers advanced proposals on Feb. 19, 2026, that would expand execution options for death row inmates to include firing squads and lethal gas, amid ongoing challenges with lethal injection and concerns over carrying out capital sentences. The measures, sponsored by Sen. Kevin Payne, R-Peoria, cleared a Senate committee with a party-line vote. They aim to give condemned inmates more choices while mandating firing squad executions for those convicted of murdering law enforcement officers. Senate Concurrent Resolution 1049 proposes a constitutional amendment that Arizona voters would decide in November. If approved, it would allow defendants sentenced to death to select from three methods: firing squad, lethal injection (intravenous administration of lethal substances) or lethal gas. Lethal injection would remain the default if no choice is made.

Japan | High court rejects retrial appeal over 1992 Fukuoka child murder

The Fukuoka High Court rejected an appeal on Monday for a retrial for the 1992 murder of two 7-year-old girls in the city of Iizuka in Fukuoka Prefecture, for which a death row convict was executed. The defense plans to file a special appeal with the Supreme Court against the decision.  In what's known as the Iizuka incident, despite the assertion of his innocence, Michitoshi Kuma's death sentence became final in 2006 based on DNA test results and eyewitness accounts. He was executed at the age of 70 in 2008.  The defendant's side submitted in the second round of its retrial request a woman's testimony as new evidence. 

Florida | Governor DeSantis signs death warrant in 2008 murder case

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Governor Ron DeSantis has signed a death warrant for Michael L. King, setting an execution date of March 17, 2026, at 6 p.m. King was convicted and sentenced to death for the 2008 kidnapping, sexual battery and murder of Denise Amber Lee, a 21-year-old North Port mother. On January 17, 2008, Michael Lee King abducted 21-year-old Denise Amber Lee from her North Port home by forcing her into his green Chevrolet Camaro. He drove her around while she was bound, including to his cousin's house to borrow tools like a shovel.  King took her to his home, where he sexually battered her, then placed her in the backseat of his car. Later that evening, he drove to a remote area, shot her in the face, and buried her nude body in a shallow grave. Her remains were discovered two days later. During the crime, multiple 9-1-1 calls were made, but communication breakdowns between emergency dispatch centers delayed the response.  The case drew national attention and prompted w...

Oklahoma executes Kendrick Antonio Simpson

McALESTER, Okla. (DPN) — Oklahoma executed Kendrick Antonio Simpson on Thursday for the 2006 drive-by shooting deaths of two men following a dispute at an Oklahoma City nightclub, marking the state's first lethal injection of the year and the nation's third. Simpson, 45, was pronounced dead at 10:19 a.m. at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary after receiving a three-drug cocktail, prison officials said. He had been convicted of first-degree murder in the killings of Anthony Jones, 19, and Glen Palmer, 20, who were shot while sitting in a car outside the club. Simpson admitted to firing into the vehicle, later telling authorities he was "compelled by paranoia."

Oklahoma | Judge weighs Richard Glossip's second request for bond

Attorneys for former death row inmate Richard Glossip are again asking an Oklahoma County judge to release him on bond while he awaits a third trial in a high-profile murder case that has stretched nearly three decades. District Judge Natalie Mai heard arguments for and against Glossip’s release in her courtroom Thursday, Feb. 12. Glossip, 63, has been twice convicted and sentenced to death for the 1997 killing of Oklahoma City hotel owner Barry Van Treese. Prosecutors claim Glossip paid another employee, Justin Sneed, to kill Van Treese, and helped cover up the murder.

Somalia Executes Two Al-Shabaab Convicts Over Deadly Mogadishu Attacks

MOGADISHU, Feb 16, 2026 – The Somali federal government on Monday executed two men convicted of orchestrating a series of deadly assassinations and bombings in the capital, judicial officials confirmed. The executions, carried out by a firing squad following sentences handed down by the Armed Forces Court, took place early Monday morning in Mogadishu. The two individuals were identified as Hassan Ali Iftin Buule (known as Gacmey) and Hassan Ali Ibrahim Mohamed Ahmed (known by the aliases Baari, Biibaaye, and Sa’ad). Both had been found guilty of participating in terror attacks that resulted in the death and injury of numerous Somali civilians.

Singapore executes 33-year-old Malaysian drug trafficker

Lingkesvaran was sentenced to death in 2018.  A Malaysian man convicted of trafficking a significant quantity of heroin was executed in Singapore on Feb. 11, 2026, according to an official statement issued by the Singapore authorities.  Lingkesvaran Rajendaren, 33, had been found guilty of trafficking not less than 52.77 grammes of diamorphine, also known as pure heroin.  Singapore law mandates the death penalty for cases involving more than 15 grams of the drug.  The authorities said the amount involved was enough to sustain the addiction of approximately 630 abusers for a week, highlighting the harm caused by large-scale drug trafficking.

Israel | Netanyahu pushes to water down terrorist death penalty bill over fear of global fallout

Prime minister presses Itamar Ben-Gvir to amend proposed law mandating execution for terrorists, citing international and legal concerns as security agencies and opposition lawmakers push back. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has asked National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir to soften a proposed bill mandating the death penalty for terrorists, citing concerns over potential international fallout, officials familiar with the matter told ynet on Saturday.  Netanyahu’s aides approached Ben-Gvir, who opposes changes to the legislation, arguing that Israel cannot enact a death penalty law harsher than the standard applied in the United States. Sources said the prime minister and coalition leaders would not allow the bill to pass in its current form.

Idaho death row inmate convicted of two separate rapes and murders dies in hospital

Idaho – Erick Hall, a long-time death row inmate convicted of the rapes and murders of two women in separate incidents in the Boise area, has died at the age of 54. The Idaho Department of Correction (IDOC) announced on February 10, 2026, that Hall passed away from natural causes at approximately 9:58 p.m. on February 9, 2026, while receiving care at a local hospital in the Boise region. Hall had been serving two death sentences for first-degree murder convictions stemming from crimes committed in the early 2000s. He was housed at the Idaho Maximum Security Institution (IMSI) in Kuna, where Idaho's death row is located. The first conviction came in October 2004 for the kidnapping, rape, and murder of 38-year-old Lynn Henneman. Henneman, a flight attendant, disappeared in October 2000 after leaving a Boise restaurant. Her body was later discovered, and the case went cold for several years until DNA evidence linked Hall to the crime.  A jury sentenced him to death following a trial t...

Utah | Lawmaker seeks to fast-track executions as inmates spend decades on death row

SALT LAKE CITY — Utah death row inmates routinely spend three decades or more awaiting execution, with some dying of natural causes before their sentences can be carried out. One Republican lawmaker says the system is broken and is pushing legislation to accelerate the appeals process. Rep. Candice Pierucci, R-Herriman, sponsor of  House Bill 495, told a House committee on Feb. 19, 2026, that prolonged delays undermine the death penalty's purpose and burden taxpayers with indefinite appeals. She cited the case of Ralph Menzies, who spent 36 years on death row before dying of natural causes last year after his scheduled firing squad execution was halted over competency concerns.