Skip to main content

With execution just weeks away, Menzies’ attorneys appeal to the Utah Supreme Court

In what is being described as the “last big hurdle” before his Sept. 5 execution, attorneys for death row inmate Ralph Menzies argued before the Utah Supreme Court that the state should pause proceedings and give the 67-year-old convicted killer with dementia another review to see if he is competent.  

Menzies — sentenced to die by firing squad for the 1986 kidnapping and murder of 26-year-old Maurine Hunsaker — is running out of appeals. His death warrant has been signed, the Utah Board of Pardons and Parole recently denied him clemency and his execution is now almost two weeks away. 

But the state’s high court could still force the Utah Department of Corrections to pause proceedings and grant Menzies another evaluation to determine whether he’s competent. 

During a hearing on Thursday, Menzies’ attorneys made what could be their last case for sparing his life, while the Utah Attorney General’s Office argued they haven’t met the requirements for granting Menzies another competency review. 

For much of the last year, Menzies’ attorneys have claimed his dementia makes him incompetent to be executed — per state and federal law, an inmate must understand the state’s reasoning for pursuing the death penalty. In June, 3rd District Court Judge Matthew Bates ruled that Menzies, despite having dementia, is competent. 

His attorneys then submitted a petition for another competency evaluation, claiming that Menzies’ mental condition had deteriorated, fueled by a hypoxic event, which is when the brain doesn’t get enough oxygen. For someone with dementia, like Menzies, his attorneys say a hypoxic event can worsen the symptoms. 

Bates denied the petition, writing there wasn’t enough compelling evidence to grant Menzies another review. On Thursday, Menzies’ attorneys said Bates’ ruling was wrong, and that because of the pending appeal, the court should pause proceedings. 

Central to their arguments was the legal principle “prima facie,” which essentially means there is enough evidence before the court for a case to move forward. During the roughly two-hour hearing, Lindsey Layer, one of Menzies’ attorneys, said they’ve shown through expert evaluations that there is ample evidence to suggest Menzies meets the threshold outlined in state code to grant him another review. 

“He was unable to answer what he was charged with. That is new,” Layer said, referring to recent evaluations where experts asked Menzies if he understood the state’s reason for executing him. “He repeated the same thing, over and over again.” 

And, the nature of dementia means Menzies’ cognitive abilities will continue to decline. 

“He is only getting worse. That is the only trajectory of his illness, to get worse over time until it is ultimately fatal,” she said. 

Attorneys for the state, however, told the supreme court justices that there isn’t enough evidence to grant another competency evaluation. State code sets a high bar, requiring allegations of a substantial change in circumstances — and those allegations “must raise a significant question” about the inmate’s competency.

Daniel Boyer with the Utah Attorney General’s Office argued Menzies’ attorneys have not satisfied those requirements. 

“There needs to be a greater level of specificity” to Menzies’ claims, Boyer said, adding that some of the allegations of decline happened before Bates made his initial ruling in June — before the request for another evaluation. 

“Here, the alleged events that demonstrated a significant decline occurred months before we even had oral arguments on the first petition,” Boyer said.

The five members of the Utah Supreme Court — which on Thursday included 2nd District Judge Ronald Russel sitting in place of Justice John Pearce, who was recused — pressed attorneys on both sides during the hearing. 

The court took the matter under advisement. It’s unclear when they will rule, although prior rulings have been issued roughly a week after arguments. 

Matt Hunsaker, Maurine’s son who has been a spokesperson for the family, told reporters after the hearing that this is the “last big hurdle” in the decadeslong case. 

“If he’s not executed on Sept. 5, they’re not going to execute him,” said Hunsaker. “I’ll give up.” 

Source: utahnewsdispatch.com, Kyle Dunphey, August 21, 2025




"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted."
— Oscar Wilde


Comments

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Alabama executes Jeremy Williams

Tennessee and Oklahoma have put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men in one day. Tennessee and Oklahoma put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other Thursday, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men by lethal injection in one day for the first time since 2010. The Tennessee man was executed for killing a maid at a motel in 1985, and the Oklahoma man for killing his girlfriend in 2003. In Alabama, a man was put to death Thursday evening for killing a 5-year-old girl he had paid her mother to abuse.

Tennessee executes Darrell Hines

The state has spent millions of dollars over decades to execute a seriously ill man who was already incarcerated. The state of Tennessee executed death row inmate Darrell Hines Thursday morning, according to an advocacy group.  No formal announcement of the execution has been issued by state leaders yet. The execution was slated for 10 a.m. Thursday at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville. [DPN update] Hines was pronounced dead at 10:43 a.m. CDT. His last meal was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, corn, fries, biscuits, a chicken sandwich, chocolate chip cake, and sweet tea.

Alabama Set To Carry Out Execution This Week

Alabama is preparing to execute Jeremy Williams, who pled guilty to the 2021 rape and murder of five-year-old Kamarie Holland.  The execution is scheduled for Thursday (August 13) at the Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, Alabama.  Williams, who is 41, requested the death penalty and waived his right to appeal, making this the first execution in Alabama this year.

Oklahoma executes Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez

Oklahoma has carried out 1 of 3 executions set for the same day in the United States in another sign of the resurgence of the death penalty in the country.  Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez was pronounced dead at 10:13 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 13, at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester.  He was put to death by lethal injection for the murder of his common-law wife in 2003 at their Oklahoma City home. He admitted to police he shot her twice during an argument.  Cuesta-Rodriguez, 70, did not fight for his life, stunning his attorneys in July when he told the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board that he didn't want clemency. "It's time for me to pay for what I did," he said. 

Tennessee set to execute Anthony Darrell Hines

Barring any last-minute interventions, the Tennessee Department of Correction will execute Anthony Darrell Hines by lethal injection at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville Thursday morning. This week, two courts had the opportunity to halt the execution: the federal court in Middle Tennessee and the U.S. Supreme Court. Gov. Bill Lee announced Tuesday he personally would not prevent the execution. “After deliberate consideration of Anthony Darrell Hines’ request for clemency, and after a thorough review of the case, I am upholding the sentence of the State of Tennessee and do not plan to intervene,” he said in a written statement. The U.S. Supreme Court has not granted a stay or reprieve.

Tennessee | The doctor who helps put prisoners to death

Dr. Mark Fowler assisted in the failed execution of a Tennessee prisoner. Physicians are meant to heal patients—why is he working in the death chamber? Mark Fowler, a physician with 25 years’ experience, stepped beneath the bright lights and approached the middle-aged man lying on a gurney. Around him, people in medical gowns prepared needles and sterile tubing. It had all the appearances of a hospital setting. Fowler had been called in to help establish an IV line through which the 57-year-old man, Tony Carruthers, would be injected with pharmaceutical drugs. The team had struggled to find a vein, so Fowler was summoned to set a central line—an intravenous catheter inserted into the major vein below the collarbone.

Iran’s War on Women: Executions, Floggings, and the Politics of Fear

The Iranian regime is increasingly using death sentences, corporal punishment, and judicial persecution against women—not only to silence dissent but also to intimidate a society demanding change. The Iranian regime has long viewed women as central to the country’s struggle for freedom—and therefore as central targets of repression. The nationwide uprising of 2022 fundamentally altered the political landscape, demonstrating that Iranian women were no longer merely participants in protest movements but among their principal organizers and symbols. Since then, the authorities have steadily intensified their campaign against women, expanding the use of executions, imprisonment, corporal punishment, and judicial intimidation.

The 'Black Widow' shakes Iran: 10 death sentences for a serial killer who killed 12 men

Kolthum Akbari, an Iranian woman widely dubbed the “Black Widow,” was convicted of serial murders of elderly men she married, often temporarily. Official accounts generally center on 11 murders (plus one attempted murder), though Akbari herself gave varying figures and investigations suggested she had many more marriages.  The sentencing occurred primarily in September 2025 in Mazandaran Province, with ongoing reporting and updates into 2026. The 56- to 59-year-old killer confessed to killing at least 11 elderly men after temporarily or officially marrying them; Iranian authorities have linked her to additional marriages and possible further victims.

Arizona prosecutors seek death penalty a second time for 2 inmates

County Attorney Brad Miller said Aug. 6 that the nature of the attack and both men's past criminal records meet the strict legal bar required for execution under Arizona law. FLORENCE, Ariz. - Pinal County prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against two inmates accused of violently killing a fellow prisoner behind bars, officials announced Thursday. Pinal County Attorney Brad Miller filed a Notice of Intent to Seek the Death Penalty against Pete Van Winkle and Tracy Hampton in connection with the fatal attack on Kenneth Thompson. 

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine issues three death penalty reprieves

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) – Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine issued execution reprieves for three death row inmates on Friday. In a statement, DeWine said he issued reprieves for Keith LaMar, Scott Group, and Davel Chinn, all of whom were set to be executed early next year. LaMar was scheduled to be executed on Jan. 13, 2027. He was convicted of aggravated murder for the deaths of five inmates during a 1993 riot at the Southern Ohio Correctional Institution in Lucasville. He received the death penalty for four of the killings. His new execution date is Jan. 13, 2030. Watch the latest NBC4 headlines in the video player above.