Skip to main content

Death by incarceration is enough: Opinion

Jennifer Herron is the daughter of Maurine Hunsaker, who was murdered by Utah death row inmate Ralph Menzies.

I am the oldest daughter born to Maurine Hunsaker, who was murdered by Ralph Menzies in 1986. She was 17 years old at the time of my birth. She was on welfare and barely getting by having one child before me, and for that and other reasons I was placed for adoption.

Unlike my older brother, I don’t recall meeting my birth mother, but it is possible that I did. My grandmother was a friend of the family that adopted me, which is how the adoption was arranged.

I was nine when the murder happened. I did not understand why at the time, but my adopted mom made me watch the news coverage. That memory still stands out in my mind today, and I can honestly say that I have lived with the consequences of this murder for nearly 40 years.

Seven years after the murder, I learned that Maurine Hunsaker was my birth mother. My adoptive parents had my aunt save every news clipping and anything that had to do with her. All of these materials were eventually given to me.

Shortly after I learned of her identity, I met and developed relationships with Maurine’s other children, my half-brothers and half-sister. I am so grateful, because it was through getting to know them that I got to know something of my birth mother, beyond the pain and difficulty of knowing her only through such news clippings.

Not only did the heinous murder take away my birth mother and any chance I had of knowing her personally, but it also robbed me of a relationship with my birth father, whom I only recently met through a DNA test. These losses have been a constant presence in my life, affecting me in ways that are impossible to fully describe.

Being denied the chance to ever meet my parents left me with a feeling of emptiness and loneliness that has never truly gone away. It has impacted my ability to form deep connections with others, and at times, made me question my own sense of self. The latent trauma of my mother’s murder has also contributed to lifelong, ongoing struggles with anxiety and depression.
My views are also informed by my belief that executing Mr. Menzies will only create more victims. His family will feel pain and loss, just as my family and I have.
Over the years, I’ve wrestled with complex emotions surrounding this case. There was a time when I felt intense hatred towards Mr. Menzies. Through personal growth and introspection, I’ve come to realize that I don’t hate Mr. Menzies as a person; I hate the actions he took that caused so much pain and suffering.

I stand before you today opposed to the death penalty. While I recognize the severity of the crime that was committed, I do not believe that justice will be served by taking another life. I have experienced firsthand the consequences of a life being taken, and I cannot support a system that perpetuates this cycle of violence. Having lived with this tragedy every day for decades, I am exhausted by the constant reminders, the media attention and the uncertainty. No murder victim’s family should have to endure this.

My views are also informed by my belief that executing Mr. Menzies will only create more victims. His family will feel pain and loss, just as my family and I have. I don’t believe that justice can truly be served after so many years, and I would rather see the resources and energy being spent on this execution directed towards more productive and healing purposes.

As a society, we must hold ourselves to a higher standard. Particularly with regard to Mr. Menzies’ physical and mental conditions, I feel that executing him will reflect poorly on us as a society. He is no longer a threat to anyone, especially from a wheelchair while tethered to an oxygen tank. I would rather live in a society that values compassion and rehabilitation over retribution — especially for the least among us.

I believe that true closure may be difficult to achieve for anyone who has experienced such loss. I hope that by sharing my story and my views, I can contribute to a system that focuses on healing, rather than violence. Perhaps when this chapter finally ends, I can continue to heal and find my own way to live with the pain that has shaped my life.

Ultimately, I’m not seeking revenge or retribution. I want to find a way to move forward from this tragedy without more violence, and without creating more family members of someone killed by unnecessary violence.

Clemency means mercy. The clemency process should not be a retrial, but an evaluation of whether mercy is warranted. This is why I urge the Utah Board of Pardons and Parole to commute Ralph Menzies’ sentence of execution by firing squad to a sentence of death by incarceration.

Source: deseret.com, Jennifer Herron, August 15, 2025




"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted."
— Oscar Wilde


Comments

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

William Thompson Faces Execution in Florida Amid Dementia, Terminal Illness Concerns

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed an exe­cu­tion war­rant for 74-year-old pris­on­er William ​“Bill” Thompson less than 24 hours after he was released from the hos­pi­tal to the hos­pice wing of the prison. After his attor­neys raised seri­ous con­cerns about his men­tal com­pe­ten­cy and dete­ri­o­rat­ing phys­i­cal health, Gov. DeSantis agreed to tem­porar­i­ly stay the exe­cu­tion so Mr. Thompson’s com­pe­ten­cy can be eval­u­at­ed on October 1. If he is found com­pe­tent, his exe­cu­tion remains sched­uled for October 13.

Tennessee Supreme Court denies stay for death row inmate Christa Pike

(TNND) — As Tennessee prepares for a Sept. 30 execution, the Tennessee Supreme Court has denied death row inmate Christa Gail Pike’s request to stop it. The court rejected Pike’s challenge to the state’s lethal-injection protocol, finding that her thrombocytosis diagnosis, a condition involving elevated blood platelets, did not show the execution would violate the Eighth Amendment ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

Texas executes Ker’Sean Ramey

Texas executes man for a triple killing, days after other man convicted in case was put to death  A man was executed Wednesday evening in Texas for a triple killing committed during an attempted robbery at a rural home, 1 week after the other man convicted in the case was put to death.  Ker’Sean Ramey, 41, was pronounced dead at 6:34 p.m. CDT following a lethal injection at the state penitentiary in Huntsville. He was the 6th person executed this year in Texas, with 3 more lethal injections scheduled in the state over the next 2 months. 

Florida | He executed death row prisoners. Then they came back to haunt him

Dunnellon, Florida—Every night, one of the men Ron McAndrew killed would sit at the foot of his bed and stare, blankly, into his tortured soul. He knew they were coming. He’d shift over in his sheets to make room. “They never said anything,” McAndrew recalls, his aged voice straining from the weight of the memory. “They just sat there and looked at me.” But their eyes would talk. They would ask, "How could you do such a thing?’” says McAndrew. “You always claimed to be a good person. And now you’re killing people.”

Philippines | President Marcos Grants Absolute Pardon to Mary Jane Veloso

President Marcos Confirms Decision to Grant Absolute Pardon to Mary Jane Veloso  President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has signed an absolute pardon for Mary Jane Veloso after more than a decade.  On Friday (September 25, 2026), the President confirmed the decision during a visit to Guiuan, Eastern Samar.  According to him, the pardon was officially signed the previous day, marking a major development in the case.  

DNA evidence doesn’t match man who spent decades on death row, Utah prosecutors say

Douglas Stewart Carter, 71, was sentenced to death in 1985 after a jury found him guilty of murdering Eva Olesen Prosecutors are dropping their plan to seek the death penalty in an upcoming retrial of a Utah man who spent decades on death row for a 1985 killing in which newly analyzed DNA evidence did not match him. Douglas Stewart Carter, 71, was sentenced to death in 1985 after a jury found him guilty of murdering Eva Olesen, the aunt of a former Provo police chief. The state Supreme Court last year ordered a new trial, citing misconduct by investigators. Carter remains in custody and maintains his innocence.

Florida | Tomasz Kosowski found guilty of murder after representing himself in death penalty case

Tomasz Kosowski sat each day alone at the defense table, wearing orange jail garb and rubber sandals with socks. In a rare and largely unprecedented move for a death penalty case, Kosowski represented himself, waiving his right to a jury trial and allowing a judge in Pinellas County, Florida, to decide his fate. Prosecutors presented the state’s case over six days, laying out for the judge how the former plastic surgeon accosted Steven Cozzi in the bathroom of his law office on a Tuesday morning, and Cozzi was never seen again.

Singapore | Ministry of Home Affairs refutes claims that death penalty was discussed during visit by Israel's security ministry

The Ministry of Home Affairs says discussions with the Israeli government involved the sharing of best practices in emergency response, crime prevention, and forensics. Issues relating to the death penalty “were never part of the meeting and were not discussed."  SINGAPORE: The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on Friday (Sep 11) refuted claims by an Israeli media outlet that the death penalty was discussed during a visit by an Israeli delegation in May. The Haaretz newspaper reported on Sep 7 that a delegation comprising representatives from the Israel Prison Service and National Security Ministry made a “secret visit” to Singapore that month.

Tennessee | Christa Pike Requests Clemency Ahead of September 30 Execution Date; Experts’ Amicus Brief Points to ​‘Substantial Risk’ of Re-traumatization

Lawyers for Christa Pike, the only woman on Tennessee’s death row, filed a 226-page clemen­cy peti­tion with Governor Bill Lee, ask­ing him to com­mute her death sen­tence to life in prison with­out the pos­si­bil­i­ty of parole ahead of her September 30 exe­cu­tion date. Ms. Pike’s clemen­cy peti­tion out­lines the case her team has built over decades of appeals: her actions at 18 years old can­not be sep­a­rat­ed from a child­hood marked by repeat­ed rape, sex­u­al abuse, and neglect that went unad­dressed by the adults and state sys­tems meant to pro­tect her. Once incar­cer­at­ed, Ms. Pike was diag­nosed with bipo­lar dis­or­der and post-trau­mat­ic stress disorder.

Tennessee | Governor permits Christa Pike execution: 'I am upholding the sentence'

Gov. Bill Lee does not plan to stop Christa Pike's execution. Pike, 50, is scheduled to be killed by lethal injection 10 a.m. Sept. 30 at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville. “After deliberate consideration of Christa Gail Pike’s request for clemency, and after a thorough review of the case, I am upholding the sentence of the State of Tennessee and do not plan to intervene," Lee said in a statement released Sept. 28. Pike's attorneys lamented the news.