Skip to main content

Arizona | Feds bring charges against alleged Tucson carjacker, including 2 eligible for death penalty

Justice Dep't prosecutors rebuffed Pima County Attorney's Office as they pursued 5-count indictment

A Mexican man accused in a fatal carjacking was indicted on five counts by a federal grand jury Wednesday, including two that could result in life in prison or the death penalty. The case is at the center of a clash between the Pima County Attorney's Office and federal prosecutors.

The federal charges of attempted carjacking resulting in death and use of a firearm during a crime of violence resulting in death are the most serious federal charges against Julio Cesar Aguirre, 42, who was in the country without authorization when he allegedly shot and killed a 69-year-old-man during an attempted carjacking on June 30.

They carry a maximum penalty of life in prison or death, said a spokesperson with the U.S. Attorney Office for Arizona on Wednesday.

Aguirre was arrested by Tucson police and taken to a nearby hospital for treatment from his injuries, including a police dog bite. However, as Pima County officials began to build a first-degree murder case against him, federal officials took Aguirre into custody and moved him to a facility in Pinal County. 

Earlier this month, Trump administration officials announced lesser charges against Aguirre, but refused to give his location to the Pima County Attorney's Office and limited their access to him.

Pima County Laura Conover said this move "gutted" her own case against Aguirre. On Tuesday, she said federal prosecutors were obstructing the case against Aguirre. She did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the new federal charges on Wednesday evening.

Aguirre allegedly shot Ricky E. Miller Sr. on June 30 while attempting to steal a Toyota Tundra, part of a string of crimes reported that day.

On July 3, days before Conover went public with her criticism, the U.S. Attorney's Office for Arizona said they were filing charges against Aguirre, including attempted carjacking, use and discharge of a firearm during a crime of violence, and being an "alien in possession of a firearm."

In a prepared statement earlier in July, federal officials said Aguirre is a Mexican citizen and has been illegally present in the United States. He has been arrested more than 10 times from 2007 to 2013 for "immigration-related crimes," and was last removed from the country in 2013 under a court order.

As part of their earlier statement, federal officials said Aguirre's prosecution was part of Operation Take Back America, a Trump initiative which  "marshals the full resources" of Justice Department to "repel the invasion of illegal immigration, achieve the total elimination of cartels" and "protect our communities from the perpetrators of violent crime."

Conover has sought to end criminal punishment, and said her office "will not seek draconian punishments like the death penalty and juvenile life without parole."

Last December, Conover argued the death penalty is unnecessary, and criticized how the previous Trump administration pursued federal executions in its waning days.

Esther J. Winne, the executive assistant U.S. Attorney for Arizona, told the Tucson Sentinel three weeks ago federal prosecutors had "a significant federal interest in this matter," adding Conover's comments "mischaracterize the situation."

"However, we have no intent to engage in an exchange with the county attorney via the media," Winne said on July 10. 

Winne did not respond to a request for comment from the Sentinel on Tuesday, though federal officials were likely pursuing stiffer charges against Aguirre in the interim.

Federal officials would not provide information to the Sentinel about where he is being held.

Aguirre is likely in custody with the U.S. Marshals' Service, but was not listed in a database for federal prisoners, nor ICE. A request for comment from Aguirre's attorney, a federal public defender assigned to his case, was not returned.

Conover said Tuesday that her office secured a grand jury indictment against Aguirre for first-degree murder on July 25, and the local grand jury charged Aguirre with 12 counts— including first-degree murder, attempt to commit armed robbery, burglary, possession of a deadly weapon by a prohibited possessor, and multiple counts of aggravated assault.

Regardless of their limited access, her office "will continue to exhaust all legal options to move the case forward for all of the victims involved," Conover said Tuesday, before learning of the new federal charges. "We will continue to do everything possible to work this prosecution normally, despite the obstruction faced."

"The focus in this case should be on the senseless loss of the victim and the pain that loss creates for his family and friends," said United States Attorney Timothy Courchaine. "Our criminal laws exist to protect our community, and the United States has an obligation to enforce those laws." 

"The alleged series of crimes in the indictment, starting with illegal immigration, escalating to prohibited possession of a firearm, and culminating in the death of an innocent individual, is why the United States Attorney’s Office takes this matter so seriously," Courchaine said.

"This indictment represents a meaningful step toward accountability and justice for the victim, their loved ones, and all those affected by the tragic events in early July," said FBI Phoenix Special Agent in Charge Heith Janke.

"The allegations in this case involve a senseless act of violence that claimed an innocent life and deeply impacted our community. Carjacking resulting in death is a serious federal offense. The FBI, in partnership with the Tucson Police Department and the U.S. Attorney’s Office, remains dedicated to pursuing justice and ensuring public safety."

Source: tucsonsentinel.com, Paul Ingram, July 30, 2025




"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted."
— Oscar Wilde


Comments

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Alabama executes Jeremy Williams

Tennessee and Oklahoma have put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men in one day. Tennessee and Oklahoma put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other Thursday, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men by lethal injection in one day for the first time since 2010. The Tennessee man was executed for killing a maid at a motel in 1985, and the Oklahoma man for killing his girlfriend in 2003. In Alabama, a man was put to death Thursday evening for killing a 5-year-old girl he had paid her mother to abuse.

Tennessee executes Darrell Hines

The state has spent millions of dollars over decades to execute a seriously ill man who was already incarcerated. The state of Tennessee executed death row inmate Darrell Hines Thursday morning, according to an advocacy group.  No formal announcement of the execution has been issued by state leaders yet. The execution was slated for 10 a.m. Thursday at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville. [DPN update] Hines was pronounced dead at 10:43 a.m. CDT. His last meal was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, corn, fries, biscuits, a chicken sandwich, chocolate chip cake, and sweet tea.

Alabama Set To Carry Out Execution This Week

Alabama is preparing to execute Jeremy Williams, who pled guilty to the 2021 rape and murder of five-year-old Kamarie Holland.  The execution is scheduled for Thursday (August 13) at the Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, Alabama.  Williams, who is 41, requested the death penalty and waived his right to appeal, making this the first execution in Alabama this year.

Oklahoma executes Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez

Oklahoma has carried out 1 of 3 executions set for the same day in the United States in another sign of the resurgence of the death penalty in the country.  Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez was pronounced dead at 10:13 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 13, at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester.  He was put to death by lethal injection for the murder of his common-law wife in 2003 at their Oklahoma City home. He admitted to police he shot her twice during an argument.  Cuesta-Rodriguez, 70, did not fight for his life, stunning his attorneys in July when he told the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board that he didn't want clemency. "It's time for me to pay for what I did," he said. 

Tennessee set to execute Anthony Darrell Hines

Barring any last-minute interventions, the Tennessee Department of Correction will execute Anthony Darrell Hines by lethal injection at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville Thursday morning. This week, two courts had the opportunity to halt the execution: the federal court in Middle Tennessee and the U.S. Supreme Court. Gov. Bill Lee announced Tuesday he personally would not prevent the execution. “After deliberate consideration of Anthony Darrell Hines’ request for clemency, and after a thorough review of the case, I am upholding the sentence of the State of Tennessee and do not plan to intervene,” he said in a written statement. The U.S. Supreme Court has not granted a stay or reprieve.

Tennessee | The doctor who helps put prisoners to death

Dr. Mark Fowler assisted in the failed execution of a Tennessee prisoner. Physicians are meant to heal patients—why is he working in the death chamber? Mark Fowler, a physician with 25 years’ experience, stepped beneath the bright lights and approached the middle-aged man lying on a gurney. Around him, people in medical gowns prepared needles and sterile tubing. It had all the appearances of a hospital setting. Fowler had been called in to help establish an IV line through which the 57-year-old man, Tony Carruthers, would be injected with pharmaceutical drugs. The team had struggled to find a vein, so Fowler was summoned to set a central line—an intravenous catheter inserted into the major vein below the collarbone.

Iran’s War on Women: Executions, Floggings, and the Politics of Fear

The Iranian regime is increasingly using death sentences, corporal punishment, and judicial persecution against women—not only to silence dissent but also to intimidate a society demanding change. The Iranian regime has long viewed women as central to the country’s struggle for freedom—and therefore as central targets of repression. The nationwide uprising of 2022 fundamentally altered the political landscape, demonstrating that Iranian women were no longer merely participants in protest movements but among their principal organizers and symbols. Since then, the authorities have steadily intensified their campaign against women, expanding the use of executions, imprisonment, corporal punishment, and judicial intimidation.

The 'Black Widow' shakes Iran: 10 death sentences for a serial killer who killed 12 men

Kolthum Akbari, an Iranian woman widely dubbed the “Black Widow,” was convicted of serial murders of elderly men she married, often temporarily. Official accounts generally center on 11 murders (plus one attempted murder), though Akbari herself gave varying figures and investigations suggested she had many more marriages.  The sentencing occurred primarily in September 2025 in Mazandaran Province, with ongoing reporting and updates into 2026. The 56- to 59-year-old killer confessed to killing at least 11 elderly men after temporarily or officially marrying them; Iranian authorities have linked her to additional marriages and possible further victims.

Arizona prosecutors seek death penalty a second time for 2 inmates

County Attorney Brad Miller said Aug. 6 that the nature of the attack and both men's past criminal records meet the strict legal bar required for execution under Arizona law. FLORENCE, Ariz. - Pinal County prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against two inmates accused of violently killing a fellow prisoner behind bars, officials announced Thursday. Pinal County Attorney Brad Miller filed a Notice of Intent to Seek the Death Penalty against Pete Van Winkle and Tracy Hampton in connection with the fatal attack on Kenneth Thompson. 

Iran | Executions in Tabriz, Zanjan, Qazvin

Iranian authorities executed at least three prisoners, including two Turks, identified as Amrollah Dousti, Hojjat Khayat, and Yousef Bagheri, in Tabriz and Zanjan Central Prisons. Dousti and Khayat were executed on drug-related charges, while Bagheri was executed for “premeditated murder.” According to information received by the Hengaw Organization for Human Rights, Dousti, 40, from Bandar Abbas and a father of two, and Khayat, 51, from Tabriz and a father of three, were executed in Tabriz Central Prison on Sunday, August 9, 2026.