Skip to main content

Idaho death row inmate Thomas Creech reflects on failed execution

"When they mapped my veins a couple nights before and seen exactly where my veins were at – I watched them map it – I thought, 'man I'm gone,'" Creech told KTVB.

BOISE, Idaho — Three and a half months ago, Thomas Eugene Creech narrowly escaped death inside the execution chamber at the Idaho Maximum Security Institution.

"When they mapped my veins a couple nights before and seen exactly where my veins were at – I watched them map it – I thought, 'man I'm gone,'" Creech said. 

Idaho's longest-serving death row inmate was supposed to be executed in February after a death warrant was signed. But, after eight attempts, an Idaho Department of Correction medical team was unable to establish an IV line to carry out the lethal injection. 

Creech and his wife recently reached out to KTVB's Morgan Romero. He wanted to finally share why he believes he dodged the state-sponsored execution and what it was like. 

The 73-year-old also said he wants people to see he's a changed man. 

Around 10 a.m. on Feb. 28, Creech expected to take his final breath. After being in prison a half century, Creech said he "fully believed I was gonna die," and had "convinced myself that was it."

"They came in to the death cell and handcuffed me and strapped me to the board. The execution team, they call it the strap down team, they put me on the gurney and wheeled me in through the execution room," Creech said. "Then once they had me in there, they started adjusting my hands and legs to strap me down, and then the warden told them to go ahead and proceed with the execution. I looked over to the right and saw my wife sitting there and she had the most devastating, horrible, terrorized look on her face that I had ever seen in my life. It made me sick to my stomach, it was horrible."

Creech's wife, Leanne, was crying while sitting next to his priest. 

His son, who Creech said looked man, also was there.

"They started in my right arm, up by my elbow and that was the first place that they poked me," Creech said. "I could feel it. It was like a sting. The part that hurt was when they moved the needle around trying to get the vein to accept it. Then they kept it moving down my arms and feet several times."

Creech remembers a total of 10 attempts, but the Idaho Department of Correction said it tried – and failed – eight times to establish an IV line where they would inject pentobarbital into Creech's veins. 

"I don't know if it was wishful thinking or I actually saw, but I thought I saw angels standing on each side of my bed," Creech said. "I think I started crying. I pointed up to the sky and told my wife I was sorry."

Creech told KTVB his veins collapsed, meaning the veins' walls squeezed shut, preventing blood from flowing through. 

Just under an hour later, at 10:58 a.m., IDOC leaders announced they were halting the execution. 

"What they encountered in some instances was an access issue, but in others where they could establish access, they were unable – it was a vein quality issue that made them not confident in their ability to administer chemicals through the IV site once established," IDOC Director Josh Tewalt said in a news conference. 

IDOC Director Josh Tewalt addresses the media after the planned execution of Thomas Eugene Creech was called off, Feb. 28, 2024, in Kuna, Idaho.

"My thought was, 'wow, this is a divine intervention.' Only thing I could think of, otherwise I'd be dead," Creech said. "I believe it was god almighty that had his hand in it that stopped it. I don't want to believe anything else."

Thomas Creech
IDOC's medical team, escort team and incident command staff trained for and rehearsed his execution multiple times. 

Creech said they never practiced on him. 

The Idaho Department of Correction requires medical team members taking part in an execution to place IV catheters and establish drips in at least two volunteers within the year leading up to execution. 

In the two days prior to the execution, they also have to take part in at least four training sessions and two rehearsals. 

"When I was in the death house for 30 days before execution, every two to three days they would take me down to medical and practice doing the execution," Creech said. "They would come get me out of the room I was in, take me to medical and when I was in medical, they'd go back and forth into the room and have somebody act like they were me."

The medical staff even mapped out his veins in the days leading up to the execution, but Creech said IDOC knew it was a challenge to get needles in his veins, and he had surgery on an aneurysm. 

"They've known this forever, even when they did blood draws on me for diabetes and stuff, they had a hard time accessing the veins," Creech said. "My attorneys warned them about this, but apparently didn't take it to heart."

Since the failed execution, which was to be Idaho's first execution in 12 years, Creech said his health deteriorated. 

"Some days I'm not even sure if I'm gonna live until the next day," Creech said. "I have chest pain all the time … I continue to have nightmares. One of the dreams I have is I wake up and I'm back on that table again and they're standing around me putting needles in again. Then the other one that really terrorizes me is I go into that room and it's my wife on that table – not me, she's on the table – and they're trying to put drugs in her arms and I'm trying to break the window out to get to her. And then I wake up."

Creech's death warrant expired that night, and a new warrant has not been issued. 

"Living with the death penalty is the worst part of having the death penalty," Creech said. "If they execute you, it's over with. There's not more hurting. But when you're under the death penalty not knowing from one day to the next if you're going to get a death warrant or not, it's really bad. It plays on your mind every day. Like I said, I'm no saint, but I feel bad. As bad as a person can possibly feel."

Creech and KTVB's Morgan Romero talked about the murders he committed back in the 1970s, the ones that first landed him in prison and got him his first death sentence in Idaho. 


He explained why he killed a fellow inmate, 22-year-old David Dale Jensen, in 1981 and the remorse he said he feels over it now. 

Source: ktvb.com, Morgan Romero, June 13, 2024

_____________________________________________________________________








"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted."

— Oscar Wilde



Most viewed (Last 7 days)

William Thompson Faces Execution in Florida Amid Dementia, Terminal Illness Concerns

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed an exe­cu­tion war­rant for 74-year-old pris­on­er William ​“Bill” Thompson less than 24 hours after he was released from the hos­pi­tal to the hos­pice wing of the prison. After his attor­neys raised seri­ous con­cerns about his men­tal com­pe­ten­cy and dete­ri­o­rat­ing phys­i­cal health, Gov. DeSantis agreed to tem­porar­i­ly stay the exe­cu­tion so Mr. Thompson’s com­pe­ten­cy can be eval­u­at­ed on October 1. If he is found com­pe­tent, his exe­cu­tion remains sched­uled for October 13.

Texas executes Ker’Sean Ramey

Texas executes man for a triple killing, days after other man convicted in case was put to death  A man was executed Wednesday evening in Texas for a triple killing committed during an attempted robbery at a rural home, 1 week after the other man convicted in the case was put to death.  Ker’Sean Ramey, 41, was pronounced dead at 6:34 p.m. CDT following a lethal injection at the state penitentiary in Huntsville. He was the 6th person executed this year in Texas, with 3 more lethal injections scheduled in the state over the next 2 months. 

Texas House chairman wants child rapists eligible for death penalty

AUSTIN (Nexstar) — Under current Supreme Court precedent, states cannot execute someone for raping a child if the victim survives. That’s not stopping State Rep. Jeff Leach, R-McKinney. “We’re going to have a debate in this building behind me about the death penalty being on the table for any Texan who rapes a child,” Leach, the chair of the Texas House Committee on Judiciary & Civil Jurisprudence, said. Leach made the comments while hosting a news conference supporting his client, abuse survivor Cindy Clemishire.

Israel | Ben Gvir discusses death penalty for Neveh Tzuf terrorist hours before Yom Kippur

National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir raised the possibility of applying the death penalty to the Neveh Tzuf terrorist during a security meeting with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Two hours before the start of Yom Kippur on Sunday, National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir raised the possibility of applying the death penalty to the terrorist responsible for the attack in Neveh Tzuf during a security meeting with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Netanyahu had reportedly convened the meeting in response to the security situation in the West Bank following the Sunday terror attack.

Tennessee Supreme Court denies stay for death row inmate Christa Pike

(TNND) — As Tennessee prepares for a Sept. 30 execution, the Tennessee Supreme Court has denied death row inmate Christa Gail Pike’s request to stop it. The court rejected Pike’s challenge to the state’s lethal-injection protocol, finding that her thrombocytosis diagnosis, a condition involving elevated blood platelets, did not show the execution would violate the Eighth Amendment ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

Texas set to execute second man convicted in 2005 South Texas triple murder

Ker’Sean Olajuwa Ramey is scheduled to die Wednesday, one week after the state executed his co-defendant for the same killings. Texas is scheduled to execute a man on Wednesday for the 2005 shooting deaths of three people during a botched robbery in a small South Texas town, just one week after the state put his co-defendant to death for the same crime. Ker’Sean Olajuwa Ramey, 41, is scheduled to die by lethal injection Wednesday evening at the state penitentiary in Huntsville.

Philippines | President Marcos Grants Absolute Pardon to Mary Jane Veloso

President Marcos Confirms Decision to Grant Absolute Pardon to Mary Jane Veloso  President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has signed an absolute pardon for Mary Jane Veloso after more than a decade.  On Friday (September 25, 2026), the President confirmed the decision during a visit to Guiuan, Eastern Samar.  According to him, the pardon was officially signed the previous day, marking a major development in the case.  

Florida | Tomasz Kosowski found guilty of murder after representing himself in death penalty case

Tomasz Kosowski sat each day alone at the defense table, wearing orange jail garb and rubber sandals with socks. In a rare and largely unprecedented move for a death penalty case, Kosowski represented himself, waiving his right to a jury trial and allowing a judge in Pinellas County, Florida, to decide his fate. Prosecutors presented the state’s case over six days, laying out for the judge how the former plastic surgeon accosted Steven Cozzi in the bathroom of his law office on a Tuesday morning, and Cozzi was never seen again.

Singapore | Ministry of Home Affairs refutes claims that death penalty was discussed during visit by Israel's security ministry

The Ministry of Home Affairs says discussions with the Israeli government involved the sharing of best practices in emergency response, crime prevention, and forensics. Issues relating to the death penalty “were never part of the meeting and were not discussed."  SINGAPORE: The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on Friday (Sep 11) refuted claims by an Israeli media outlet that the death penalty was discussed during a visit by an Israeli delegation in May. The Haaretz newspaper reported on Sep 7 that a delegation comprising representatives from the Israel Prison Service and National Security Ministry made a “secret visit” to Singapore that month.

Tennessee | Christa Pike Requests Clemency Ahead of September 30 Execution Date; Experts’ Amicus Brief Points to ​‘Substantial Risk’ of Re-traumatization

Lawyers for Christa Pike, the only woman on Tennessee’s death row, filed a 226-page clemen­cy peti­tion with Governor Bill Lee, ask­ing him to com­mute her death sen­tence to life in prison with­out the pos­si­bil­i­ty of parole ahead of her September 30 exe­cu­tion date. Ms. Pike’s clemen­cy peti­tion out­lines the case her team has built over decades of appeals: her actions at 18 years old can­not be sep­a­rat­ed from a child­hood marked by repeat­ed rape, sex­u­al abuse, and neglect that went unad­dressed by the adults and state sys­tems meant to pro­tect her. Once incar­cer­at­ed, Ms. Pike was diag­nosed with bipo­lar dis­or­der and post-trau­mat­ic stress disorder.