Skip to main content

Japan | Trial ruling date for man accused of 1966 murder set for September

Iwao Hakamada, who in a rare example is being retried over a 1966 murder case, will be given a verdict on Sept. 26, the Shizuoka District Court said Wednesday, which could see him finally acquitted more than five decades after he was sentenced to death by the same court.

In the last trial session, prosecutors again sought the death penalty for the 88-year-old, saying there is enough evidence to show that Hakamata is the perpetrator, while defense lawyers argued that he is not guilty.

Hideyo Ogawa, one of Hakamata's defense lawyers, said in a news conference after the trial that he talked about how prison life has changed Iwao Hakamata, who is believed to be suffering from Ganser syndrome, a rare dissociative disorder commonly seen in prisoners, and how he is no longer interested in what's happening around him.

Hideko Hakamata, 91, Iwao Hakamata's older sister, who has been spearheading the campaign to exonerate her brother, was also given an opportunity to speak during the trial.

"I'm relieved" that the trial is over, she said during a news conference, adding that she plans to let her brother know what happened when she gets home. The defendant was not present at the court on Wednesday due to his health conditions.

In the morning session, prosecutors read out a statement from one of the family members of the victims, expressing hope that the truth would be unveiled through the trial.

The Hakamata case has been in the spotlight ever since a retrial was granted. Hakamata had been on death row for over 30 years before being released after his plea for a retrial was granted in 2014.

The focus of the case is on bloodstains on five pieces of clothing, said to have been worn by the perpetrator when the murder was committed, that were found in a miso barrel. Prosecutors have described the bloodstains as dark red, but the defense team has claimed the evidence was planted, since the clothes would have been discolored if they had been in a miso barrel for more than a year.

The case concerns the fatal stabbings of an executive of a miso-maker in Shizuoka Prefecture, his wife and their teenage children at their home on June 30, 1966, before the house was set on fire. Some ¥80,000 in cash was also stolen from the home.

Police arrested Hakamata, who was an employee of the miso-maker, on Aug. 18 of that year, after investigators found traces of gasoline and blood that weren’t his on his pajamas.

Hakamata had denied the charges, but after 20 days of detention and questioning, he admitted to killing the family. Lawyers claim he confessed to the crime due to exhaustion from the interrogation, which lasted for an average of 12 hours each day. Japan’s legal system does not allow lawyers to be present during interrogations.


Despite his initial confession, Hakamata later recanted and pleaded not guilty in the first trial hearing in November 1966, and has since maintained that stance.

Iwao Hakamada and his sister Hideko
A new twist in the case came in August 1967 — more than a year after the murders — when investigators uncovered the five bloodstained clothes in the miso barrel.

Hakamata said that the clothes were not his, but the Shizuoka District Court sentenced him to death in 1968. During a Tokyo High Court trial that took place following an appeal, lawyers questioned why the items of clothing, one of which was too small for Hakamata, were not found earlier, but the court dismissed those complaints, and his death row sentence was finalized in 1980.

When a conviction is finalized, the only way for the person to be exonerated is for a court to grant a retrial — the last resort for those who were wrongfully convicted.

But because a retrial essentially means the district, high and supreme courts handed down rulings based on faulty or insufficient facts, the bar for a retrial is very high.

After his conviction, Hakamata twice sought retrials, with the first request denied by the local, high and supreme courts. But in 2014, the Shizuoka District Court greenlighted his second request — a major breakthrough in the case — allowing him to be released after nearly 50 years in detention and more than 30 years in prison on death row.

The situation was complicated by a subsequent split decision by higher courts. After prosecutors appealed the 2014 decision, the Tokyo High Court denied the retrial request in 2018, while the Supreme Court sent the case back to the high court for further deliberation in 2020.

It was not until March 2023 that the Tokyo High Court granted a retrial, giving Hakamato a glimmer of hope that he could finally be acquitted. The Shizuoka District Court has been deliberating the case since October.

Source: japantimes.co.jp, Staff, May 22, 2024

_____________________________________________________________________








"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted."

— Oscar Wilde



Most viewed (Last 7 days)

'No Warning': The Death Penalty In Japan

Stakes for wrongful convictions are high in Japan, where the death penalty has broad public support despite criticism over how it is carried out. Tokyo: Capital punishment in Japan is under scrutiny again after the world's longest-serving death row prisoner, Iwao Hakamada, was awarded $1.4 million in compensation this week following his acquittal last year in a retrial. Stakes for wrongful convictions are high in Japan, where the death penalty has broad public support despite international criticism over how it is carried out.

Execution date set for prisoner transferred to Oklahoma to face death penalty

An inmate who was transferred to Oklahoma last month to face the death penalty now has an execution date. George John Hanson, also known as John Fitzgerald Hanson, is scheduled to die on June 12 for the 1999 murder of 77-year-old Mary Bowles.  The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals on Tuesday set the execution date. The state’s Pardon and Parole Board has a tentative date of May 7 for Hanson’s clemency hearing, executive director Tom Bates said.

USA | Federal death penalty possible for Mexican cartel boss behind 1985 DEA agent killing

Rafael Caro Quintero, extradited from Mexico in 2022, appeared in Brooklyn court as feds weigh capital charges for the torture and murder of Agent Enrique Camarena NEW YORK — The death penalty is on the table for notorious drug lord Rafael Caro Quintero, the so-called “narco of narcos” who orchestrated the torture and murder of a DEA agent in 1985, according to federal prosecutors. “It is a possibility. The decision has not yet been made, but it is going through the process,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Saritha Komatireddy said in Brooklyn Federal Court Wednesday.

Inside Florida's Death Row: A dark cloud over the Sunshine State

Florida's death penalty system has faced numerous criticisms and controversies over the years - from execution methods to the treatment of Death Row inmates The Sunshine State remains steadfast in its enforcement of capital punishment, upholding a complex system that has developed since its reinstatement in 1976. Florida's contemporary death penalty era kicked off in 1972 following the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in Furman v. Georgia , which temporarily put a stop to executions across the country. Swiftly amending its laws, Florida saw the Supreme Court affirm the constitutionality of the death penalty in 1976's Gregg v. Georgia case.

Louisiana's First Nitrogen Execution Reflects Broader Method Shift

Facing imminent execution by lethal gas earlier this week, Jessie Hoffman Jr. — a Louisiana man convicted of abducting, raping and murdering a 28-year-old woman in 1996 — went to court with a request: Please allow me to be shot instead. In a petition filed with the U.S. Supreme Court on March 16 seeking a stay of his execution by nitrogen hypoxia, a protocol that had yet to be tested in the state, Hoffman requested execution by firing squad as an alternative.

A second South Carolina death row inmate chooses execution by firing squad

Columbia, S.C. — A South Carolina death row inmate on Friday chose execution by firing squad, just five weeks after the state carried out its first death by bullets. Mikal Mahdi, who pleaded guilty to murder for killing a police officer in 2004, is scheduled to be executed April 11. Mahdi, 41, had the choice of dying by firing squad, lethal injection or the electric chair. He will be the first inmate to be executed in the state since Brad Sigmon chose to be shot to death on March 7. A doctor pronounced Sigmon dead less than three minutes after three bullets tore into his heart.

Bangladesh | Botswana Woman Executed for Drug Trafficking

Dhaka, Bangladesh – Lesedi Molapisi, a Botswana national convicted of drug trafficking, was executed in Bangladesh on Friday, 21 March 2025. The 31-year-old was hanged at Dhaka Central Jail after exhausting all legal avenues to appeal her death sentence. Molapisi was arrested in January 2023 upon arrival at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport in Dhaka, where customs officials discovered 3.1 kilograms of heroin hidden in her luggage. Following a trial under Bangladesh’s Narcotics Control Act, she was sentenced to death in May 2024. Her execution was initially delayed due to political unrest in the country but was carried out last week.

564 People On Death Row In India, Highest Since The Turn Of The Century

In 90% of of all death penalty sentences in 2024, trial courts imposed sentences in the absence of adequate information about the accused, finds a recent report Bengaluru: Following the uproar and the widespread protests after the August 2024 rape and murder of a medical professional in Kolkata’s RG Kar hospital, there were demands for death penalty for the accused. The state government passed the Aparajita Woman and Child (West Bengal Criminal Laws Amendment) Bill 2024 (awaiting presidential assent) which included mandatory death sentence for rape which results in death of the victim or if the victim is left in a vegetative state, despite such a mandatory sentence being unconstitutional.

South Carolina | Spiritual adviser of condemned inmate: 'We're more than the worst thing we've done'

(RNS) — When 67-year-old Brad Sigmon was put to death on March 7 in South Carolina for the murder of his then-girlfriend's parents, it was the first time in 15 years that an execution in the United States had been carried out by a firing squad. United Methodist minister Hillary Taylor, Sigmon's spiritual adviser since 2020, said the multifaceted, months long effort to save Sigmon's life, and to provide emotional and spiritual support for his legal team, and the aftermath of his execution has been a "whirlwind" said Taylor, the director of South Carolinians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty.

Arizona | The cruelty of isolation: There’s nothing ‘humane’ about how we treat the condemned

On March 19, I served as a witness to the execution of a man named Aaron Gunches, Arizona’s first since 2022. During his time on death row, he begged for death and was ultimately granted what is likely more appropriately described as an emotionless state-assisted suicide. This experience has profoundly impacted me, leading to deep reflection on the nature of death, humanity, and the role we play in our final moments. When someone is in the end stages of life, we talk about hospice care, comfort, care, easing suffering and humane death. We strive for a “good death” — a peaceful transition. I’ve seen good ones, and I’ve seen bad, unplanned ones.