Skip to main content

Japan | Kyoto Anime arsonist who killed 36 people says he accepts death sentence

Shinji Aoba, the arsonist found guilty of killing 36 people in an attack on a Kyoto Animation Co. studio in 2019, made clear he is appealing the Jan. 25 death sentence simply to buy time to speak out more about the horrific crime.

He stated, “I seriously accept the verdict.”

It marked the first time Aoba, 45, agreed to meet with a reporter from The Asahi Shimbun.

The interview was held Jan. 26 at Osaka Detention House.

Aoba, who was badly burned in the fire he set, appeared sitting in a wheelchair and looked the reporter in the eye when answering questions.

Excerpts of the 20-minute interview follow:

Question: A day after the verdict (in Kyoto District Court), what are your feelings right now?

Aoba: I hold responsibility for what I did. I seriously accept the verdict.

Q: What were your emotions the moment you heard the death sentence being read in court?

A: Because I am human, I felt a shock when the ultimate penalty was read out. I solemnly accept it.

Q: Do you intend to appeal the verdict and continue the court case?

A: I intend to appeal because I would not be able to speak out if I did not continue (with the court case).

Q: What do you want to speak out about?

A: As the person who caused this incident, I tried to speak as much as possible during the (district court) proceedings. But there are a few more things that I want to leave behind as lessons for others.

Q: Why did you agree to this interview when you never consented in the past?

A: Since I have been given the death sentence, I questioned whether I should go on living while concealing something. I intend to speak out more in the future.

Q: What did you feel through the interaction with the bereaved family members?

A: I must seriously accept that (each victim) had their own separate lives. Each one was acknowledged by those around them and were doing their best to get on with their lives. What hit me most directly was that each (victim) had their own “face.”

Q: During the court session, you also spoke about your own past life. Why?

A: I now feel that it was nothing but an excuse. I also question whether I should have spoken about what I went through in the past, given how old I am now.

Q: What are your thoughts about the relationship between society and the crime you committed?

A: A person such as me might appear in society and cause a similar crime if, in the end, their limit to bear difficulties is exceeded. I think there is nothing that can be done.

Q: There were doctors who treated you so you could appear in court. What do you feel about that?

A: (After about 10 seconds of silence) I want to refrain from answering that right now. I can only say “thank you” to those who supported me. I only have words of gratitude.

-:-:-:-

After the ruling, Kyoto Animation Co. released a statement that said, “There is not the slightest change in the chagrin we feel. When we think about the bitter disappointment held by those employees who died, our souls feel nothing but pain.”

The father of a man killed in the arson attack said he accepted as “words from his soul” the comment by Aoba about accepting the death sentence seriously.

The father attended a number of the court sessions. He said he initially felt Aoba’s criticisms directed at Kyoto Animation showed he harbored no feelings of remorse and that his self-centered arguments were too strong.

But when told Aoba wanted to appeal in order to speak out more, the father said, “There are words that only he can express and it would be significant if (by speaking out) he created a deterrence so that the next crime was not committed.”

Source: asahi.com, K. Toda, January 27, 2024

_____________________________________________________________________










SUPPORT DEATH PENALTY NEWS





Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Tennessee Supreme Court denies stay for death row inmate Christa Pike

(TNND) — As Tennessee prepares for a Sept. 30 execution, the Tennessee Supreme Court has denied death row inmate Christa Gail Pike’s request to stop it. The court rejected Pike’s challenge to the state’s lethal-injection protocol, finding that her thrombocytosis diagnosis, a condition involving elevated blood platelets, did not show the execution would violate the Eighth Amendment ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

Tennessee Woman Christa Pike Survives Lethal Injection, Ends Up in Hospital; Governor Halts Executions

Tennessee unable to carry out the execution by lethal injection of Christa Gail Pike Tennessee officials were unable to put Christa Gail Pike to death for a 1995 murder Wednesday, media witnesses said, after the lethal injection was halted for hours as courts considered a last-minute appeal of what would have been the state's 1st execution of a woman in at least 200 years.  Pike, 50, had been scheduled for execution for a killing she committed at age 18 after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned an appeals court ruling that stopped the lethal injection just an hour before it was to start. Officials then attempted to go ahead with it as planned. 

Florida | He executed death row prisoners. Then they came back to haunt him

Dunnellon, Florida—Every night, one of the men Ron McAndrew killed would sit at the foot of his bed and stare, blankly, into his tortured soul. He knew they were coming. He’d shift over in his sheets to make room. “They never said anything,” McAndrew recalls, his aged voice straining from the weight of the memory. “They just sat there and looked at me.” But their eyes would talk. They would ask, "How could you do such a thing?’” says McAndrew. “You always claimed to be a good person. And now you’re killing people.”

Tennessee | Governor permits Christa Pike execution: 'I am upholding the sentence'

Gov. Bill Lee does not plan to stop Christa Pike's execution. Pike, 50, is scheduled to be killed by lethal injection 10 a.m. Sept. 30 at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville. “After deliberate consideration of Christa Gail Pike’s request for clemency, and after a thorough review of the case, I am upholding the sentence of the State of Tennessee and do not plan to intervene," Lee said in a statement released Sept. 28. Pike's attorneys lamented the news.

Philippines | President Marcos Grants Absolute Pardon to Mary Jane Veloso

President Marcos Confirms Decision to Grant Absolute Pardon to Mary Jane Veloso  President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has signed an absolute pardon for Mary Jane Veloso after more than a decade.  On Friday (September 25, 2026), the President confirmed the decision during a visit to Guiuan, Eastern Samar.  According to him, the pardon was officially signed the previous day, marking a major development in the case.  

Florida executes Curtis Beasley

A 77-year-old man convicted of killing a woman with a hammer has become the 16th person executed this year in Florida  A 77-year-old Florida man was put to death Tuesday for his conviction in a deadly hammer attack on a woman decades ago, becoming the 16th person executed to date this year in the nation’s busiest death chamber.  Curtis Wilkie Beasley was pronounced dead at 6:12 p.m. following a lethal injection at Florida State Prison near Starke. He was convicted of 1st-degree murder, robbery, and grand theft auto in the 1995 hammer attack on Carolyn Monfort at her home south of Orlando. 

William Thompson Faces Execution in Florida Amid Dementia, Terminal Illness Concerns

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed an exe­cu­tion war­rant for 74-year-old pris­on­er William ​“Bill” Thompson less than 24 hours after he was released from the hos­pi­tal to the hos­pice wing of the prison. After his attor­neys raised seri­ous con­cerns about his men­tal com­pe­ten­cy and dete­ri­o­rat­ing phys­i­cal health, Gov. DeSantis agreed to tem­porar­i­ly stay the exe­cu­tion so Mr. Thompson’s com­pe­ten­cy can be eval­u­at­ed on October 1. If he is found com­pe­tent, his exe­cu­tion remains sched­uled for October 13.

Texas executes Ker’Sean Ramey

Texas executes man for a triple killing, days after other man convicted in case was put to death  A man was executed Wednesday evening in Texas for a triple killing committed during an attempted robbery at a rural home, 1 week after the other man convicted in the case was put to death.  Ker’Sean Ramey, 41, was pronounced dead at 6:34 p.m. CDT following a lethal injection at the state penitentiary in Huntsville. He was the 6th person executed this year in Texas, with 3 more lethal injections scheduled in the state over the next 2 months. 

Singapore | Ministry of Home Affairs refutes claims that death penalty was discussed during visit by Israel's security ministry

The Ministry of Home Affairs says discussions with the Israeli government involved the sharing of best practices in emergency response, crime prevention, and forensics. Issues relating to the death penalty “were never part of the meeting and were not discussed."  SINGAPORE: The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on Friday (Sep 11) refuted claims by an Israeli media outlet that the death penalty was discussed during a visit by an Israeli delegation in May. The Haaretz newspaper reported on Sep 7 that a delegation comprising representatives from the Israel Prison Service and National Security Ministry made a “secret visit” to Singapore that month.

DNA evidence doesn’t match man who spent decades on death row, Utah prosecutors say

Douglas Stewart Carter, 71, was sentenced to death in 1985 after a jury found him guilty of murdering Eva Olesen Prosecutors are dropping their plan to seek the death penalty in an upcoming retrial of a Utah man who spent decades on death row for a 1985 killing in which newly analyzed DNA evidence did not match him. Douglas Stewart Carter, 71, was sentenced to death in 1985 after a jury found him guilty of murdering Eva Olesen, the aunt of a former Provo police chief. The state Supreme Court last year ordered a new trial, citing misconduct by investigators. Carter remains in custody and maintains his innocence.