FEATURED POST

U.S. | I'm a Death Row Pastor. They're Just Ordinary Folks

Image
In the early 1970s I was a North Carolinian, white boy from the South attending Union Theological Seminary in New York City, and working in East Harlem as part of a program. In my senior year, I visited men at the Bronx House of Detention. I had never been in a prison or jail, but people in East Harlem were dealing with these places and the police all the time. This experience truly turned my life around.

Texas | Former death row inmate graduates from TWU with master's degree

A North Texas man has earned his Master's degree, a feat made extra special when you consider he was once on death row for a murder he did not commit.

His exoneration offered him a 2nd chance.

Ryan Matthews, the new owner of a master's degree in business analytics from Texas Woman's University, had to overcome the obstacle of a lifetime to get here.

He was convicted of murder in Louisiana and spent years on death row for the killing of a convenience store clerk.

"It was 5 on death row, it was 7 1/2 years total," Matthews said.

Matthews was arrested in 1997 when he was just 17 years old.

"All I could do was hope and pray that one day the truth would come out," he said.

DNA evidence led to his exoneration in 2004.

Matthews says he formed a strong bond with the advocates who fought to have his case reviewed and ultimately overturned.

He shared with us a collection of photos that chronicle his journey.

"I always kept hope, but it wasn’t a guarantee that I would be free. So all I could do was hope and I prepared, like I said while I was in there, I read and did certain things so that one day, when I’m out, I wouldn’t be so far behind. That’s the biggest misconception. Just because you’re innocent, that doesn’t mean you’re coming home," he said.

Through it all, getting an education was a priority.

"When I came home that was my whole goal. My mother, she always taught education, get your education and that stuck with me," Matthews recalled.

He started with his GED, soon afterward, college and a bachelor's degree. Now he's a proud Master's degree recipient.

His proudest supporters: his mom, his sister, niece and 4 children.

"I thank God every day just for waking up, to be out. The small things, to be able to go places on my own accord. Being able to work, being able to provide. Small things like seeing my son graduate," Matthews explained.

Matthews has several job interviews lined up in the finance and investment banking fields. He says the past is behind him and now, he's focused on the future.

"It’s hard to do it for myself because I know I’m not finished, you know, it’s just a stepping stone," he said.

Source: Fox News, Staff, December 15, 2023


_____________________________________________________________________











Most Viewed (Last 7 Days)

20 Minutes to Death: Witness to the Last Execution in France

Alabama SC approves second nitrogen gas execution

Utah requests execution of death row inmate

Arkansas Supreme Court Decision Allows New DNA Testing in Case of the ​“West Memphis Three,” Convicted of Killing Three Children in 1993

U.S. | I'm a Death Row Pastor. They're Just Ordinary Folks

North Texas jury sentences killer to death penalty for shooting Burleson woman, cop

Iraq executes 11 people convicted of terrorism crimes

Alabama approves second nitrogen hypoxia execution