Skip to main content

China | Child trafficker Yu Huaying appeals death sentence

High-profile human trafficker Yu Huaying appealed for leniency in sentencing for the abduction of 11 children in the 1990s, as she pleaded guilty during her 2nd trial for the crime held by the High People's Court of Guizhou province on Tuesday.

Yu, her defense lawyer and prosecutors expressed their opinions on the facts of the case and sentencing, she also gave a final statement to the court. The court will issue its verdict at a later date.

The 2nd trial followed Yu's appeal against the death sentence handed down by the Guiyang Intermediate People's Court, Guizhou province, in September. Yu, from Yunnan province, was found guilty of abducting and selling 11 children from Chongqing and Guizhou between 1993 and 1996, and her actions constituted the crime of child abduction, according to the Guiyang court.

She carried out the abductions with a man surnamed Gong, who died during the course of the case. 2 other individuals, surnamed Wang and Yang, who participated in the abductions, have been dealt with in separate cases, the court stated.

Despite Yu confessing to her crimes after being arrested, the court imposed the death penalty on her, deprived her of political rights for life, and confiscated all her personal assets. This sentence was justified due to the large number of children abducted, and the offenses were deemed extremely serious, having a significant negative impact on society, the Guiyang court said.

During the appeal trial, Yu did not contest the facts found in the first instance that she abducted 11 children, and she pleaded guilty in court. However, she only appealed what she said was an excessive sentence.

Yu's defense lawyer argued that she had confessed and believed the sentence was too harsh, suggesting a lighter punishment.

However, the procurators argued that the sentencing in the first instance was appropriate, with clear facts, sufficient evidence and lawful procedures. Therefore, Yu's reasons for appeal could not be justified. Procurators recommended the court reject the appeal and uphold the original judgment.

Yu had previously been sentenced to eight years in prison by the Dayao County People's Court in Yunnan province for abducting and trafficking two children in 2004, though she used a false name "Zhang Yun". She was released in 2009 after her sentence was commuted.

Her husband, Wang Jiawen, a Chongqing native, has recently been captured by police, according to ThePaper.cn, a Shanghai-based news outlet. Wang also participated in the abduction of the two children in 2004. After being captured, he used the false name "Wang Wei "and served 8 years in prison.

Yu's case gained public attention in June last year when 33-year-old Yang Niuhua reported to the police in Guiyang that she had been abducted as a child. She was kidnapped by Yu in Guizhou and sold in Hebei province in 1995 for 3,500 yuan ($480).

Yang had been searching for her original family over the years and shared her story on the short-video platform Duoyin, where she was noticed by possible family members in April 2021. One month later, she had a successful DNA match and was reunited with her family.

In June last year, Yang provided clues about her abduction to Guiyang police, leading to Yu's capture in Chongqing. Yu was prosecuted in February, and the Guiyang court heard her case in July.

Source: chinadaily.com.cn, Staff, November 29, 2023

China's court holds 2nd trial over death sentences handed down to woman convicted of trafficking 11 children in 1990s


A court in China on Tuesday launched the 2nd trial of an appeal by a woman sentenced to death for trafficking 11 children. She had already been sentenced to death by authorities on September 12 for child trafficking, which dates back to the 1990s, but appealed against what she said was an excessive sentence.

The prosecutor of the Guizhou Provincial People's Procuratorate who participated in the 2nd instance believed that the facts are clear. The first trial's evidence is substantial and sufficient and legitimate trial procedures were followed, said the court, noting the 1st trial's judgment was accurate and the sentencing appropriate.

The defendant's grounds of appeal cannot be established, said the prosecutor, recommending rejecting the appeal and maintaining the original judgment. The court adjourned the case after more than 2 hours of trial and announced that the verdict would be announced at a later date.

Yu Huaying, a native of Southwest China's Yunan Province, was found to have sought illicit benefits by abducting and trafficking the children from Chongqing and Guizhou to North China's Hebei Province between 1993 and 1996. Yu's behavior constituted the crime of child abduction and was sentenced to death by the Guiyang Intermediate People's Court on September 12.

The case aroused widespread public attention in June 2022 after police in Guiyang, capital of Guizhou, received a report from a woman who had been abducted 27 years earlier. Yang Niuhua, 33, was snatched by Yu in Guizhou and sold to Hebei in 1995 for 3,500 yuan ($480).

Over the years, Yang, a native of Guizhou, never stopped searching for her family. In April 2021, thanks to a video she posted on the social media platform Douyin, the Chinese version of TikTok, she had a successful DNA match and reunited with her family a month later.

In June 2022, after she returned to her hometown, Yang went to Guiyang police to provide clues about her abduction. Yu was soon captured in Chongqing.

Yang said she would seek 7.9 million yuan in compensation from Yu, not only for herself, but also for her parents who died early because of her abduction. "I hope she can receive the most severe punishment."

A mother, Luo Xingzhen, whose 2 children were abducted by Yu in 1996, has spent more than two decades repairing shoes at a stall where her children were abducted, waiting for them to come back home. "I don't dare leave this place, in case my children come to me and I can see them immediately," Luo said. "The pain the traffickers have caused me is unspeakable, and the break in my family can never be repaired."

In 2000, Yu was arrested by police in Handan, Hebei, and served a 2-month detention in relation to child abduction offenses, according to media reports.

In 2004, she was captured by authorities again for abducting children in Yunnan. At that time, she was using a fake identity, and was sentenced under the false ID to 8 years in prison for child abduction, read the report.

Considering the large number of children Yu abducted and the fact that her offenses were extremely serious and had a great negative effect on society, the court said that it decided to impose the death penalty on her. It also stripped Yu of her political rights for life and ordered that all her personal assets be confiscated.

The court said that Yu carried out the abductions with a man surnamed Gong, who died during the course of the case. Two other people, surnamed Wang and Yang who participated in the abductions, have been dealt with in separate cases, the court noted.

China's criminal law has been amended many times for the crime of child trafficking. The statutory punishment for the crime of child trafficking has been strengthened, so has the effort to crack down on related crimes, Tong Lihua, director of a Beijing-based legal aid organization for teenagers, told the Global Times.

The Chinese government has always severely cracked down on the crime of child trafficking, and has launched many special operations to rescue abducted women and children. In 2021, the number of child trafficking cases nationwide dropped by 88.3 percent compared with 2013.

In addition, the government has been improving laws and regulations on the protection of the rights and interests of women and children, including increasing the penalties for those who buy children from traffickers, so as to fundamentally prevent the occurrence of such crimes.

Hidden behind the market of child trafficking is a huge network of human trafficking. To put an end to the crime, it is necessary to completely cut off entire chain of trafficking, including increasing punishment for each link in the chain and establishing a rapid response mechanism to missing children, experts remarked.

Source: globaltimes.cn, Staff, November 29, 2023


_____________________________________________________________________











Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Israel builds execution chamber for Palestinians convicted of murder

In March, the Knesset approved legislation that calls for the execution of Palestinians convicted by a military court of killing Israelis Israeli authorities are preparing a prison wing—replete with an execution chamber—designated specifically for Palestinian prisoners convicted of murder, Israel’s i24NEWS channel reported Tuesday. The move comes after the Knesset (Israel’s parliament) approved legislation in March that calls for the execution of Palestinian prisoners convicted by a military court of murdering Israelis.

Florida executes William Frances Silvia

Florida executed its 13th death row prisoner of the year Tuesday evening amid the state’s aggressive use of the death penalty championed by Governor Ron DeSantis. William Frances Silvia, 61, who was convicted of fatally shooting his estranged wife and injuring his mother-in-law in 2006, was pronounced dead at 6:11 p.m. after receiving the lethal three-drug injection at Florida State Prison.  At 6 p.m. Tuesday, Silvia was already strapped to a gurney with an IV in his arm when the curtain to the death chamber went up.  He remained relatively motionless with his eyes and mouth open throughout most of the execution while a priest sat at his feet and prayed.

Alabama executes Jeremy Williams

Tennessee and Oklahoma have put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men in one day. Tennessee and Oklahoma put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other Thursday, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men by lethal injection in one day for the first time since 2010. The Tennessee man was executed for killing a maid at a motel in 1985, and the Oklahoma man for killing his girlfriend in 2003. In Alabama, a man was put to death Thursday evening for killing a 5-year-old girl he had paid her mother to abuse.

Tennessee | The doctor who helps put prisoners to death

Dr. Mark Fowler assisted in the failed execution of a Tennessee prisoner. Physicians are meant to heal patients—why is he working in the death chamber? Mark Fowler, a physician with 25 years’ experience, stepped beneath the bright lights and approached the middle-aged man lying on a gurney. Around him, people in medical gowns prepared needles and sterile tubing. It had all the appearances of a hospital setting. Fowler had been called in to help establish an IV line through which the 57-year-old man, Tony Carruthers, would be injected with pharmaceutical drugs. The team had struggled to find a vein, so Fowler was summoned to set a central line—an intravenous catheter inserted into the major vein below the collarbone.

Spared execution eight times, oldest inmate in US dies at 101 after 76 years behind bars

Francis Clifford Smith was given his last meal eight times. But after being spared execution each time, he went on to be regarded as the longest-serving prisoner in the US before dying in June at 101 years old. Convicted of murder in 1950 when he was 25, he always maintained his innocence, those who knew him told the BBC. Andrius Banevicius, the public information officer for Connecticut's Department of Correction, recounted how Smith used to feed the birds while in Osborn Prison, earning him the nickname The Birdman of Osborn.

Cartoons about Capital Punishment

  More cartoons about capital punishment HERE

Alabama is trying a death penalty bait-and-switch

For a decade, Alabama death row inmate Jeffrey Lee has been clear that he does not want to be executed by lethal injection . But that is what awaits him on September 17 . He faces that prospect because the state has been enjoined from using nitrogen hypoxia , the alternative execution method he preferred, to put him to death. Having failed to show that its nitrogen hypoxia protocol is constitutionally acceptable, Alabama wants a do-over to force Lee to die by lethal injection as a result of its own failure. It should not get one. Alabama should only be able to put Lee to death if it can fix nitrogen hypoxia’s constitutional defects.

Oklahoma executes Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez

Oklahoma has carried out 1 of 3 executions set for the same day in the United States in another sign of the resurgence of the death penalty in the country.  Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez was pronounced dead at 10:13 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 13, at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester.  He was put to death by lethal injection for the murder of his common-law wife in 2003 at their Oklahoma City home. He admitted to police he shot her twice during an argument.  Cuesta-Rodriguez, 70, did not fight for his life, stunning his attorneys in July when he told the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board that he didn't want clemency. "It's time for me to pay for what I did," he said. 

Tennessee executes Darrell Hines

The state has spent millions of dollars over decades to execute a seriously ill man who was already incarcerated. The state of Tennessee executed death row inmate Darrell Hines Thursday morning, according to an advocacy group.  No formal announcement of the execution has been issued by state leaders yet. The execution was slated for 10 a.m. Thursday at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville. [DPN update] Hines was pronounced dead at 10:43 a.m. CDT. His last meal was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, corn, fries, biscuits, a chicken sandwich, chocolate chip cake, and sweet tea.

The 'Black Widow' shakes Iran: 10 death sentences for a serial killer who killed 12 men

Kolthum Akbari, an Iranian woman widely dubbed the “Black Widow,” was convicted of serial murders of elderly men she married, often temporarily. Official accounts generally center on 11 murders (plus one attempted murder), though Akbari herself gave varying figures and investigations suggested she had many more marriages.  The sentencing occurred primarily in September 2025 in Mazandaran Province, with ongoing reporting and updates into 2026. The 56- to 59-year-old killer confessed to killing at least 11 elderly men after temporarily or officially marrying them; Iranian authorities have linked her to additional marriages and possible further victims.