Skip to main content

Florida executes James Barnes

Brevard County death row inmate James Barnes — who confessed to killing his estranged wife in 1997, court records show — was executed today for the brutal 1988 murder of another woman, Patricia “Patsy” Miller, inside her Melbourne condominium.

Barnes, 61, was pronounced dead by lethal injection at 6:13 p.m. at Florida State Prison in rural Bradford County, northwest of Starke.

"The execution took place without incident," Kayla McLaughlin, spokesperson for the Department of Corrections, said during a press conference.

Before his execution, about 20 witnesses gathered inside a white-walled rectangular execution-chamber viewing room, seated in gray padded chairs facing a large glass window.

At 6 p.m., the curtain behind the window slowly opened and Barnes could be seen lying on a gurney inside the chamber, covered by a white sheet. His left arm was exposed with IV tubes and a brown strap attached.

At 6:01 p.m., Barnes declined to give a final statement, and the execution process began. Three suited execution team members wearing earpieces observed him from a few feet away. At 6:12 p.m., a physician emerged to check his vital signs.

James Barnes woke up at 5:30 a.m., said Kayla McLaughlin, spokesperson for the Florida Department of Corrections.

He did not request a last meal. Barnes also did not have any visitors or meet with any spiritual advisors, McLaughlin told journalists at a short news conference across the street from the prison.

Per prison policy, prisoners are entitled to a last meal. The last meal must cost no more than $40 and must be purchased locally.

"A violent and ruthless criminal"


In May 2006, Barnes pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in the homicide of Miller, a 41-year-old nurse. He was sentenced to death in December 2007. He was also convicted of two counts of sexual battery, armed burglary and arson in the case.

According to Barnes' sentencing order, he entered her condo through a bedroom window and repeatedly raped her, strangled her with her bathrobe belt, killed her by striking her head with a hammer, and set her bed on fire with her body on it to eliminate evidence. 

Barnes confessed to Miller's murder while he was behind bars — he had been sentenced to life in prison for killing his wife, Linda, 44, in her home just outside West Melbourne. He strangled her, then placed her body in a bedroom closet, his sentencing order said.

Andrew Miller, the brother of Barnes' victim, Patricia Miller, spoke at a news conference after the execution. He praised the work of Melbourne police detectives for sticking with the 1988 case and not giving up over the years.

Miller said his family sees similarities between his sister and Barnes' other victim, his estranged wife, Linda.

"The commonality between these two women? They were both hard-working professionals. They were someone's daughter. They were someone's sister. They were someone's mother," Miller said.

"No one should live in fear within the safety of their own home. We do. My family does," he said.

“James Barnes was a violent and ruthless criminal,” Melbourne Police Chief David Gillespie said in a Thursday email. 

“And, while today's execution ensures he will never harm another individual again, let us not forget the victims and the torture they had endured. My heart goes out to the victims and their families,” Gillespie said. 

"My Muslim brother"


While serving a life sentence for his wife’s murder, Barnes mailed a letter in October 2005 to Assistant State Attorney Michael Hunt in Viera saying a fellow inmate — who he described as “my Muslim brother” — had convinced him to “confess an unresolved matter” that happened in 1988 in Melbourne.

Specifically, Barnes offered in the letter to grant a jailhouse interview to law enforcement. During that interview, which was videotaped by a Melbourne police detective three weeks later, Barnes described how he had brutalized and killed Miller at her home in the River Oaks Condominiums before setting her bed ablaze with her body in it, his sentencing order said.

Seven years earlier, in 1998, advances in DNA testing had linked Barnes to the homicide, his sentencing order said. But he had refused to speak with Brevard County Sheriff’s Office investigators about the matter.

In his October 2005 letter written from the Columbia Correctional Institution in Lake City, Barnes noted that it was Ramadan, the Islamic holy month, which he described as “a time of purification.”

Barnes confessed to Miller’s homicide and provided a detailed narrative of his crimes in a pair of December 2005 follow-up letters to Hunt.

“Contrary to popular opinion, I’m not looking to go to death row. As you can tell from the video, I like fresh air and sunshine and being healthy. I plan on living another 40+ years,” Barnes wrote on Dec. 7, 2005.

Barnes was interviewed from prison for an episode of “On Death Row,” a 2012 United Kingdom television miniseries by German filmmaker Werner Herzog.

During that episode, Barnes said he fatally shot and buried Chester Wetmore, a teenager who was last seen leaving his Bradenton home in May 1986. Barnes also said he was involved in a crime regarding Brenda Joyce Fletcher, whose body was discovered in April 1991 in a water-filled drainage ditch near an Interstate 95 on-ramp at State Road 520 west of Cocoa.

Investigators did not file charges in either case, both of which remain unresolved. During the “On Death Row" episode, Herzog voiced doubts regarding Barnes' alleged confessions.

"I was suspicious of Barnes using me as an instrument either to procrastinate or speed up his execution by opening new cases against him," Herzog said during the episode.

Fletcher remains listed as an unsolved homicide on the Brevard County Sheriff's Office website, while Wetmore remains listed as a missing person on the Manatee County Sheriff's Office website.

"Manatee County Sheriff’s Office detectives spoke to Werner Herzog about the alleged confession. They reviewed the confession video and found that Barnes was extremely manipulative and was possibly using this confession as a tactic to stay his execution — Herzog agreed," MCSO spokesperson Randy Warren said in a Thursday email.

"Lengthy follow into this information was completed, but there was no information discovered to even confirm Barnes knew Wetmore. Barnes also refused to speak with our detectives about the case," Warren said.

"After a thorough investigation, we have no reason to connect Barnes with the Missing person case of Chester Wetmore," he said. 

Similarly, in a Thursday email, Brevard County Sheriff Wayne Ivey said an investigation of Barnes’ allegations found no evidence linking him to having any contact with Fletcher prior to her death. 

“A review of the evidence recovered from the scene found no evidence linking Barnes to the victim or the scene itself. The information provided by Barnes consisted of publicly available information and there is no credible information that gives validity to his claims,” Ivey said.

“His self-serving, baseless confessions gave false hope to two families that their cases might come to a successful conclusion — knowing the information he provided was publicly available or could not be corroborated. This is yet another example of his narcissism for self-gratification,” he said.

Catholic bishops opposed execution of Barnes


The Florida Conference of Catholic Bishops, which opposes capital punishment, scheduled a series of prayer vigils Thursday across the Sunshine State.

In addition, Tallahassee Citizens Against the Death Penalty conducted a vigil in front of the governor’s mansion at 6 p.m. in Tallahassee. 

The organization will conduct a service of remembrance at noon Friday at the State Capitol rotunda.


Floridians on Death Row


As of Thursday, there were 292 inmates on Florida’s death row, Department of Corrections records show.

No executions had occurred in Florida since August 2019, when Gary Bowles of Duval County was put to death, before the pace increased this year under DeSantis’ watch, DOC records show.

Executions in 2023 include Donald Dillbeck from Leon County in February, Louis Gaskin from Flagler County in April, Darryl Barwick from Bay County in May, and Duane Owen from Palm Beach County in June.

Barnes becomes the fifth Florida death row inmate executed within the past six months. DeSantis signed his death warrant on June 22.

Barnes becomes the 104th person executed in Florida since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976, Department of Corrections records show. 

This was Florida's fifth execution in the past six months under Gov. Ron DeSantis, a 2024 Republican presidential candidate. 

Florida State Prison has a capacity of 1,460 inmates.

Source: Florida Today, Rick Neale, August 3, 2023


_____________________________________________________________________




_____________________________________________________________________


FOLLOW US ON:












HELP US KEEP THIS BLOG UP & RUNNING!



"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted."


— Oscar Wilde

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Death penalty options expanded in proposed Arizona bills

PHOENIX — Arizona lawmakers advanced proposals on Feb. 19, 2026, that would expand execution options for death row inmates to include firing squads and lethal gas, amid ongoing challenges with lethal injection and concerns over carrying out capital sentences. The measures, sponsored by Sen. Kevin Payne, R-Peoria, cleared a Senate committee with a party-line vote. They aim to give condemned inmates more choices while mandating firing squad executions for those convicted of murdering law enforcement officers. Senate Concurrent Resolution 1049 proposes a constitutional amendment that Arizona voters would decide in November. If approved, it would allow defendants sentenced to death to select from three methods: firing squad, lethal injection (intravenous administration of lethal substances) or lethal gas. Lethal injection would remain the default if no choice is made.

Japan | High court rejects retrial appeal over 1992 Fukuoka child murder

The Fukuoka High Court rejected an appeal on Monday for a retrial for the 1992 murder of two 7-year-old girls in the city of Iizuka in Fukuoka Prefecture, for which a death row convict was executed. The defense plans to file a special appeal with the Supreme Court against the decision.  In what's known as the Iizuka incident, despite the assertion of his innocence, Michitoshi Kuma's death sentence became final in 2006 based on DNA test results and eyewitness accounts. He was executed at the age of 70 in 2008.  The defendant's side submitted in the second round of its retrial request a woman's testimony as new evidence. 

Florida | Governor DeSantis signs death warrant in 2008 murder case

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Governor Ron DeSantis has signed a death warrant for Michael L. King, setting an execution date of March 17, 2026, at 6 p.m. King was convicted and sentenced to death for the 2008 kidnapping, sexual battery and murder of Denise Amber Lee, a 21-year-old North Port mother. On January 17, 2008, Michael Lee King abducted 21-year-old Denise Amber Lee from her North Port home by forcing her into his green Chevrolet Camaro. He drove her around while she was bound, including to his cousin's house to borrow tools like a shovel.  King took her to his home, where he sexually battered her, then placed her in the backseat of his car. Later that evening, he drove to a remote area, shot her in the face, and buried her nude body in a shallow grave. Her remains were discovered two days later. During the crime, multiple 9-1-1 calls were made, but communication breakdowns between emergency dispatch centers delayed the response.  The case drew national attention and prompted w...

Oklahoma executes Kendrick Antonio Simpson

McALESTER, Okla. (DPN) — Oklahoma executed Kendrick Antonio Simpson on Thursday for the 2006 drive-by shooting deaths of two men following a dispute at an Oklahoma City nightclub, marking the state's first lethal injection of the year and the nation's third. Simpson, 45, was pronounced dead at 10:19 a.m. at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary after receiving a three-drug cocktail, prison officials said. He had been convicted of first-degree murder in the killings of Anthony Jones, 19, and Glen Palmer, 20, who were shot while sitting in a car outside the club. Simpson admitted to firing into the vehicle, later telling authorities he was "compelled by paranoia."

Oklahoma | Judge weighs Richard Glossip's second request for bond

Attorneys for former death row inmate Richard Glossip are again asking an Oklahoma County judge to release him on bond while he awaits a third trial in a high-profile murder case that has stretched nearly three decades. District Judge Natalie Mai heard arguments for and against Glossip’s release in her courtroom Thursday, Feb. 12. Glossip, 63, has been twice convicted and sentenced to death for the 1997 killing of Oklahoma City hotel owner Barry Van Treese. Prosecutors claim Glossip paid another employee, Justin Sneed, to kill Van Treese, and helped cover up the murder.

Somalia Executes Two Al-Shabaab Convicts Over Deadly Mogadishu Attacks

MOGADISHU, Feb 16, 2026 – The Somali federal government on Monday executed two men convicted of orchestrating a series of deadly assassinations and bombings in the capital, judicial officials confirmed. The executions, carried out by a firing squad following sentences handed down by the Armed Forces Court, took place early Monday morning in Mogadishu. The two individuals were identified as Hassan Ali Iftin Buule (known as Gacmey) and Hassan Ali Ibrahim Mohamed Ahmed (known by the aliases Baari, Biibaaye, and Sa’ad). Both had been found guilty of participating in terror attacks that resulted in the death and injury of numerous Somali civilians.

Singapore executes 33-year-old Malaysian drug trafficker

Lingkesvaran was sentenced to death in 2018.  A Malaysian man convicted of trafficking a significant quantity of heroin was executed in Singapore on Feb. 11, 2026, according to an official statement issued by the Singapore authorities.  Lingkesvaran Rajendaren, 33, had been found guilty of trafficking not less than 52.77 grammes of diamorphine, also known as pure heroin.  Singapore law mandates the death penalty for cases involving more than 15 grams of the drug.  The authorities said the amount involved was enough to sustain the addiction of approximately 630 abusers for a week, highlighting the harm caused by large-scale drug trafficking.

Israel | Netanyahu pushes to water down terrorist death penalty bill over fear of global fallout

Prime minister presses Itamar Ben-Gvir to amend proposed law mandating execution for terrorists, citing international and legal concerns as security agencies and opposition lawmakers push back. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has asked National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir to soften a proposed bill mandating the death penalty for terrorists, citing concerns over potential international fallout, officials familiar with the matter told ynet on Saturday.  Netanyahu’s aides approached Ben-Gvir, who opposes changes to the legislation, arguing that Israel cannot enact a death penalty law harsher than the standard applied in the United States. Sources said the prime minister and coalition leaders would not allow the bill to pass in its current form.

Idaho death row inmate convicted of two separate rapes and murders dies in hospital

Idaho – Erick Hall, a long-time death row inmate convicted of the rapes and murders of two women in separate incidents in the Boise area, has died at the age of 54. The Idaho Department of Correction (IDOC) announced on February 10, 2026, that Hall passed away from natural causes at approximately 9:58 p.m. on February 9, 2026, while receiving care at a local hospital in the Boise region. Hall had been serving two death sentences for first-degree murder convictions stemming from crimes committed in the early 2000s. He was housed at the Idaho Maximum Security Institution (IMSI) in Kuna, where Idaho's death row is located. The first conviction came in October 2004 for the kidnapping, rape, and murder of 38-year-old Lynn Henneman. Henneman, a flight attendant, disappeared in October 2000 after leaving a Boise restaurant. Her body was later discovered, and the case went cold for several years until DNA evidence linked Hall to the crime.  A jury sentenced him to death following a trial t...

Utah | Lawmaker seeks to fast-track executions as inmates spend decades on death row

SALT LAKE CITY — Utah death row inmates routinely spend three decades or more awaiting execution, with some dying of natural causes before their sentences can be carried out. One Republican lawmaker says the system is broken and is pushing legislation to accelerate the appeals process. Rep. Candice Pierucci, R-Herriman, sponsor of  House Bill 495, told a House committee on Feb. 19, 2026, that prolonged delays undermine the death penalty's purpose and burden taxpayers with indefinite appeals. She cited the case of Ralph Menzies, who spent 36 years on death row before dying of natural causes last year after his scheduled firing squad execution was halted over competency concerns.