Skip to main content

Japan | Tokyo prosecutors decide not to appeal Iwao Hakamata retrial decision

A 1966 murder case, over which former pro-boxer Iwao Hakamata was sentenced to death, will be reopened after Tokyo prosecutors on Monday decided against appealing last week’s Tokyo High Court decision to order a retrial.

The case will now be sent to the Shizuoka District Court, with a high possibility that Hakamata will be exonerated.

The news triggered a wave of joy among his supporters, defense team and, most of all, his elder sister, who has been by Hakamata’s side since he was first arrested soon after the incident.

“I’m relieved,” said Hideko Hakamata, 90, in a news conference held by the defense team that she attended online. She said she told Iwao, 87, that he could have peace of mind since there will be a retrial.

Lawyer Katsuhiko Nishijima, who heads the defense team, said he will do his best to prove Hakamata’s innocence when the case reopens.

Hiroshi Yamamoto of the Tokyo Public Prosecutors Office said in a statement that although there were unacceptable points in the ruling, they did not have enough reasons to appeal.

In ordering the retrial, the Tokyo High Court said there was reasonable doubt that 5 pieces of clothing found in a miso barrel believed to be worn by the perpetrator — the key evidence in the case — had, in fact, been worn by the murderer.

The ruling said that bloodstains on the clothing should have changed color if they had been in the miso barrel for more than a year, which makes it unlikely that Hakamata placed them inside the barrel before he was arrested.

The ruling went on to point out the possibility that a third person other than Hakamata planted the clothing, with a “high likelihood that it might be one of the investigators.”

For the past week, Hakamata’s supporters had been rallying support in hopes that prosecutors would give up appealing the case. Nearly 40,000 people signed an online petition urging prosecutors not to appeal the retrial decision.

The Hakamata case has become a symbolic example of possible wrongful conviction. The Japan Federation of Bar Associations has offered support, saying the case lacks concrete evidence other than Hakamata’s initial confessions. According to the association, four death row cases have been changed to not guilty verdicts following a retrial.

The case is centered on the fatal stabbings of an executive of a miso-maker in Shizuoka Prefecture, his wife and their teenage children at their home before the house was set on fire on June 30, 1966. Some ¥80,000 in cash was also stolen from the home.

Police arrested Hakamata, who was an employee of the miso-maker, on Aug. 18 of that year, after investigators found traces of gasoline and blood that didn’t belong to him on his pajamas.

Despite his initial confession, Hakamata later recanted and pleaded not guilty in the first trial hearing in November 1966 and has since maintained that stance.

A new twist in the case came in August 1967, when investigators uncovered the 5 bloodstained clothes in a miso barrel.

Hakamata has claimed that the clothes were not his, but the Shizuoka District Court sentenced him to death in 1968. During the Tokyo High Court trial, lawyers questioned why the items of clothing, one of which was too small for Hakamata, were not found earlier, but the court rejected those claims and his death row sentence was finalized in 1980.

After his conviction, Hakamata twice sought retrials, with the first request denied by the local, high and supreme courts. But in 2014, the Shizuoka District Court greenlighted his second request — a major breakthrough in the case — allowing him to be released after nearly 50 years in detention and more than 30 years in prison on death row.

But what made the case more complicated was a subsequent split decision by higher courts. After prosecutors appealed the 2014 decision, the Tokyo High Court denied the retrial request in 2018, while the Supreme Court sent the case back to the high court for further deliberation in 2020.

Initially pronounced and written as Hakamada, the official spelling of his last name was changed to Hakamata in 2021 after a family request.

Source: japantimes.co.jp, Staff, March 20, 2023

_____________________________________________________________________




_____________________________________________________________________


FOLLOW US ON:


TELEGRAM


TWITTER







HELP US KEEP THIS BLOG UP & RUNNING!



"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted."


— Oscar Wilde

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Alabama Set To Carry Out Execution This Week

Alabama is preparing to execute Jeremy Williams, who pled guilty to the 2021 rape and murder of five-year-old Kamarie Holland.  The execution is scheduled for Thursday (August 13) at the Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, Alabama.  Williams, who is 41, requested the death penalty and waived his right to appeal, making this the first execution in Alabama this year.

Alabama executes Jeremy Williams

Tennessee and Oklahoma have put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men in one day. Tennessee and Oklahoma put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other Thursday, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men by lethal injection in one day for the first time since 2010. The Tennessee man was executed for killing a maid at a motel in 1985, and the Oklahoma man for killing his girlfriend in 2003. In Alabama, a man was put to death Thursday evening for killing a 5-year-old girl he had paid her mother to abuse.

Tennessee | The doctor who helps put prisoners to death

Dr. Mark Fowler assisted in the failed execution of a Tennessee prisoner. Physicians are meant to heal patients—why is he working in the death chamber? Mark Fowler, a physician with 25 years’ experience, stepped beneath the bright lights and approached the middle-aged man lying on a gurney. Around him, people in medical gowns prepared needles and sterile tubing. It had all the appearances of a hospital setting. Fowler had been called in to help establish an IV line through which the 57-year-old man, Tony Carruthers, would be injected with pharmaceutical drugs. The team had struggled to find a vein, so Fowler was summoned to set a central line—an intravenous catheter inserted into the major vein below the collarbone.

Tennessee executes Darrell Hines

The state has spent millions of dollars over decades to execute a seriously ill man who was already incarcerated. The state of Tennessee executed death row inmate Darrell Hines Thursday morning, according to an advocacy group.  No formal announcement of the execution has been issued by state leaders yet. The execution was slated for 10 a.m. Thursday at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville. [DPN update] Hines was pronounced dead at 10:43 a.m. CDT. His last meal was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, corn, fries, biscuits, a chicken sandwich, chocolate chip cake, and sweet tea.

The 'Black Widow' shakes Iran: 10 death sentences for a serial killer who killed 12 men

Kolthum Akbari, an Iranian woman widely dubbed the “Black Widow,” was convicted of serial murders of elderly men she married, often temporarily. Official accounts generally center on 11 murders (plus one attempted murder), though Akbari herself gave varying figures and investigations suggested she had many more marriages.  The sentencing occurred primarily in September 2025 in Mazandaran Province, with ongoing reporting and updates into 2026. The 56- to 59-year-old killer confessed to killing at least 11 elderly men after temporarily or officially marrying them; Iranian authorities have linked her to additional marriages and possible further victims.

Oklahoma executes Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez

Oklahoma has carried out 1 of 3 executions set for the same day in the United States in another sign of the resurgence of the death penalty in the country.  Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez was pronounced dead at 10:13 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 13, at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester.  He was put to death by lethal injection for the murder of his common-law wife in 2003 at their Oklahoma City home. He admitted to police he shot her twice during an argument.  Cuesta-Rodriguez, 70, did not fight for his life, stunning his attorneys in July when he told the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board that he didn't want clemency. "It's time for me to pay for what I did," he said. 

Tennessee set to execute Anthony Darrell Hines

Barring any last-minute interventions, the Tennessee Department of Correction will execute Anthony Darrell Hines by lethal injection at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville Thursday morning. This week, two courts had the opportunity to halt the execution: the federal court in Middle Tennessee and the U.S. Supreme Court. Gov. Bill Lee announced Tuesday he personally would not prevent the execution. “After deliberate consideration of Anthony Darrell Hines’ request for clemency, and after a thorough review of the case, I am upholding the sentence of the State of Tennessee and do not plan to intervene,” he said in a written statement. The U.S. Supreme Court has not granted a stay or reprieve.

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine issues three death penalty reprieves

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) – Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine issued execution reprieves for three death row inmates on Friday. In a statement, DeWine said he issued reprieves for Keith LaMar, Scott Group, and Davel Chinn, all of whom were set to be executed early next year. LaMar was scheduled to be executed on Jan. 13, 2027. He was convicted of aggravated murder for the deaths of five inmates during a 1993 riot at the Southern Ohio Correctional Institution in Lucasville. He received the death penalty for four of the killings. His new execution date is Jan. 13, 2030. Watch the latest NBC4 headlines in the video player above.

Arizona prosecutors seek death penalty a second time for 2 inmates

County Attorney Brad Miller said Aug. 6 that the nature of the attack and both men's past criminal records meet the strict legal bar required for execution under Arizona law. FLORENCE, Ariz. - Pinal County prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against two inmates accused of violently killing a fellow prisoner behind bars, officials announced Thursday. Pinal County Attorney Brad Miller filed a Notice of Intent to Seek the Death Penalty against Pete Van Winkle and Tracy Hampton in connection with the fatal attack on Kenneth Thompson. 

Iran’s War on Women: Executions, Floggings, and the Politics of Fear

The Iranian regime is increasingly using death sentences, corporal punishment, and judicial persecution against women—not only to silence dissent but also to intimidate a society demanding change. The Iranian regime has long viewed women as central to the country’s struggle for freedom—and therefore as central targets of repression. The nationwide uprising of 2022 fundamentally altered the political landscape, demonstrating that Iranian women were no longer merely participants in protest movements but among their principal organizers and symbols. Since then, the authorities have steadily intensified their campaign against women, expanding the use of executions, imprisonment, corporal punishment, and judicial intimidation.