Skip to main content

Japan | New evidence released in case of Japan's current longest-serving death row inmate

Prosecutors have released a set of new evidence in connection with a 1966 murder-robbery and arson case, including materials that they had previously denied existed, after repeated appeals for a retrial filed by Japan's current longest-serving death row prisoner.

Nobuo Oda, 76, was sentenced to death for murder-robbery and other charges over the Maruyo Musen case, in which a worker was found dead after an electric appliance store was set alight and burned down, and another worker was found seriously injured on a nearby street in the city of Fukuoka on Dec. 5, 1966. Oda has filed repeated retrial requests since 1973.

In the 7th retrial appeal filed with the Fukuoka District Court, the Fukuoka District Public Prosecutors Office disclosed 57 pieces of evidence that they had never before submitted to the court. The items include tape-recorded "confessions" during interrogations of a then 17-year-old boy suspected to be an accomplice in the now 56-year-old case, and other materials that prosecutors had previously denied existed during briefings for Oda's defense counsel during the retrial request process.

"Our (evidence) checks were not thorough enough," the prosecutors' office told the Mainichi Shimbun, denying that they had intentionally concealed anything.

According to Oda's defense counsel, this is the 1st time that the prosecutors have released a large volume of evidence related to the case. "It's a big achievement," the legal team said, though they suspect that there is other evidence that has yet to be submitted by prosecutors.

The 17-year-old had been indicted along with Oda, who was 20 at the time of the incident, on charges of beating the 2 workers with hammers, stealing some 220,000 yen (approx. $1,630 at the current rate) in cash, and setting the store on fire by kicking down a stove, killing 1 of them. While Oda has admitted to robbery, he has denied starting the fire with a stove. He is currently a prisoner in the Fukuoka Detention House.

According to Oda's attorneys, discussions on the need to disclose evidence started in around 2020, in response to the seventh retrial request filed with the Fukuoka District Court in 2013. In March 2022, the district court issued a written advisory to prosecutors to release evidence on the stove thought to have caused the deadly fire. The stove was a key item in the court decision finalizing Oda's death sentence.

In response, the prosecutors disclosed the 57 pieces of new evidence over several occasions between January 2021 and September 2022. They included the boy's recorded "confessions" and his deposition, statements by a firefighter who fought the blaze, an expert opinion stating that there were no bloodstains on Oda's clothes, as well as negatives of photos of an expert opinion on the stove issued at the request of investigators, and their notes.

In the 1966 murder-robbery case, the 17-year-old turned himself in at a police station in Yamaguchi Prefecture on Dec. 10 that year, and was transferred to Fukuoka Prefectural Police's Hakata Police Station, then to the Fukuoka Family Court on Dec. 22. He was subsequently sent back to prosecutors and was indicted on murder-robbery and other charges. He was later sentenced to 13 years in prison.

The tape of the boy's testimony was apparently recorded at Hakata Police Station on Dec. 20, 1966, before he was referred to the family court. In the recording, the boy "confessed" to his involvement in the crime, but prosecutors had heretofore said that the recording "does not exist." According to prosecutors, the tape turned up in a fresh examination of the case materials.

The prosecutors' office told the Mainichi Shimbun, "In light of the court's advisory, we disclosed the evidence after examining the need to do so and its relation to the points at issue, as well as whether it infringes upon privacy, among other harmful effects." Regarding their earlier denial that the evidence even existed, the office said, "While there were no issues with evidence storage, our checks were not thorough enough. We didn't hide it on purpose." The office declined to comment on how they had stored the evidence.

According to the defense lawyers, Oda told them that his testimony was recorded during questioning. The attorneys believe that the recording, like in the 17-year-old's case, still exists and plan to demand that prosecutors release it as further evidence.

Prosecutors, meanwhile, commented, "We believe we have given a complete response, after thoroughly checking the materials as advised by the court. We will consider our future action adequately in accordance with requests by the court and the defense team."

Source: The Mainichi, Staff, February 23, 2023

_____________________________________________________________________




_____________________________________________________________________


FOLLOW US ON:


TELEGRAM


TWITTER







HELP US KEEP THIS BLOG UP & RUNNING!



"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted."


— Oscar Wilde

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Alabama executes Jeremy Williams

Tennessee and Oklahoma have put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men in one day. Tennessee and Oklahoma put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other Thursday, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men by lethal injection in one day for the first time since 2010. The Tennessee man was executed for killing a maid at a motel in 1985, and the Oklahoma man for killing his girlfriend in 2003. In Alabama, a man was put to death Thursday evening for killing a 5-year-old girl he had paid her mother to abuse.

Tennessee executes Darrell Hines

The state has spent millions of dollars over decades to execute a seriously ill man who was already incarcerated. The state of Tennessee executed death row inmate Darrell Hines Thursday morning, according to an advocacy group.  No formal announcement of the execution has been issued by state leaders yet. The execution was slated for 10 a.m. Thursday at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville. [DPN update] Hines was pronounced dead at 10:43 a.m. CDT. His last meal was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, corn, fries, biscuits, a chicken sandwich, chocolate chip cake, and sweet tea.

Alabama Set To Carry Out Execution This Week

Alabama is preparing to execute Jeremy Williams, who pled guilty to the 2021 rape and murder of five-year-old Kamarie Holland.  The execution is scheduled for Thursday (August 13) at the Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, Alabama.  Williams, who is 41, requested the death penalty and waived his right to appeal, making this the first execution in Alabama this year.

Oklahoma executes Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez

Oklahoma has carried out 1 of 3 executions set for the same day in the United States in another sign of the resurgence of the death penalty in the country.  Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez was pronounced dead at 10:13 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 13, at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester.  He was put to death by lethal injection for the murder of his common-law wife in 2003 at their Oklahoma City home. He admitted to police he shot her twice during an argument.  Cuesta-Rodriguez, 70, did not fight for his life, stunning his attorneys in July when he told the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board that he didn't want clemency. "It's time for me to pay for what I did," he said. 

Tennessee set to execute Anthony Darrell Hines

Barring any last-minute interventions, the Tennessee Department of Correction will execute Anthony Darrell Hines by lethal injection at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville Thursday morning. This week, two courts had the opportunity to halt the execution: the federal court in Middle Tennessee and the U.S. Supreme Court. Gov. Bill Lee announced Tuesday he personally would not prevent the execution. “After deliberate consideration of Anthony Darrell Hines’ request for clemency, and after a thorough review of the case, I am upholding the sentence of the State of Tennessee and do not plan to intervene,” he said in a written statement. The U.S. Supreme Court has not granted a stay or reprieve.

Tennessee | The doctor who helps put prisoners to death

Dr. Mark Fowler assisted in the failed execution of a Tennessee prisoner. Physicians are meant to heal patients—why is he working in the death chamber? Mark Fowler, a physician with 25 years’ experience, stepped beneath the bright lights and approached the middle-aged man lying on a gurney. Around him, people in medical gowns prepared needles and sterile tubing. It had all the appearances of a hospital setting. Fowler had been called in to help establish an IV line through which the 57-year-old man, Tony Carruthers, would be injected with pharmaceutical drugs. The team had struggled to find a vein, so Fowler was summoned to set a central line—an intravenous catheter inserted into the major vein below the collarbone.

Iran’s War on Women: Executions, Floggings, and the Politics of Fear

The Iranian regime is increasingly using death sentences, corporal punishment, and judicial persecution against women—not only to silence dissent but also to intimidate a society demanding change. The Iranian regime has long viewed women as central to the country’s struggle for freedom—and therefore as central targets of repression. The nationwide uprising of 2022 fundamentally altered the political landscape, demonstrating that Iranian women were no longer merely participants in protest movements but among their principal organizers and symbols. Since then, the authorities have steadily intensified their campaign against women, expanding the use of executions, imprisonment, corporal punishment, and judicial intimidation.

The 'Black Widow' shakes Iran: 10 death sentences for a serial killer who killed 12 men

Kolthum Akbari, an Iranian woman widely dubbed the “Black Widow,” was convicted of serial murders of elderly men she married, often temporarily. Official accounts generally center on 11 murders (plus one attempted murder), though Akbari herself gave varying figures and investigations suggested she had many more marriages.  The sentencing occurred primarily in September 2025 in Mazandaran Province, with ongoing reporting and updates into 2026. The 56- to 59-year-old killer confessed to killing at least 11 elderly men after temporarily or officially marrying them; Iranian authorities have linked her to additional marriages and possible further victims.

Arizona prosecutors seek death penalty a second time for 2 inmates

County Attorney Brad Miller said Aug. 6 that the nature of the attack and both men's past criminal records meet the strict legal bar required for execution under Arizona law. FLORENCE, Ariz. - Pinal County prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against two inmates accused of violently killing a fellow prisoner behind bars, officials announced Thursday. Pinal County Attorney Brad Miller filed a Notice of Intent to Seek the Death Penalty against Pete Van Winkle and Tracy Hampton in connection with the fatal attack on Kenneth Thompson. 

Iran | Executions in Tabriz, Zanjan, Qazvin

Iranian authorities executed at least three prisoners, including two Turks, identified as Amrollah Dousti, Hojjat Khayat, and Yousef Bagheri, in Tabriz and Zanjan Central Prisons. Dousti and Khayat were executed on drug-related charges, while Bagheri was executed for “premeditated murder.” According to information received by the Hengaw Organization for Human Rights, Dousti, 40, from Bandar Abbas and a father of two, and Khayat, 51, from Tabriz and a father of three, were executed in Tabriz Central Prison on Sunday, August 9, 2026.