Skip to main content

As U.S. Argued for Death Penalty, Bike Path Victims Gave Voice to Pain

The federal jury deciding on the punishment for Sayfullo Saipov, convicted last month of killing 8 people with a truck, has heard from more than 20 witnesses.

A little girl standing on her toes to place her palm on her deceased father’s image on a television screen. A mother who has left her son’s bedroom exactly as it was on Halloween 2017. A man married to a woman who lost her legs who clutches a pair of her socks in bed every night, yearning for the contact of her feet.

The federal jury deciding on a death penalty for Sayfullo Saipov, the man convicted last month of killing 8 people and injuring many others in a truck attack inspired by the Islamic State, has heard from more than 20 witnesses, including victims, relatives and bystanders. On Wednesday, the prosecution rested its case and Mr. Saipov’s lawyers began trying to save his life.

The jury, which has already convicted Mr. Saipov, began the trial’s separate punishment phase on Feb. 13. To make its case, the government has sought to show the severity of the crime’s impact on its victims and those close to them.

Most witnesses who have taken the stand in the United States District Court in Manhattan have described what their lives have been like since the day Mr. Saipov sped down a West Side bike path and killed their loved ones.

Mr. Saipov is the 1st defendant to face a federal death penalty trial during the administration of President Biden, who campaigned against the practice.

“He is not remorseful, and the evidence shows that he is dangerous even in prison,” said Amanda Houle, a federal prosecutor, during the government’s opening statement. “The United States is seeking the most severe penalty that the law provides: a sentence of death.”

Understand the Bike-Path Terror Trial


A high-profile case. Sayfullo Saipov was found guilty of driving a truck onto a Manhattan bike path and killing eight people on Halloween Day in 2017 — an attack that was the deadliest terrorist attack in New York City since Sept. 11 according to the authorities. Here is what to know:

How did the attack unfold? Prosecutors say that Mr. Saipov plowed a rented pickup truck down a bike path along the Hudson River, killing eight and injuring 11. The rampage ended when he smashed into a school bus, jumped out of the truck and ran down the highway shouting “God is great” in Arabic. A police officer shot him in the abdomen, bringing him down.

Who were the victims? Of the 8 fatalities, 6 were tourists, 5 from Argentina and 1 from Belgium. The other victims were a 23-year-old computer scientist from Manhattan and a 32-year-old financial worker from New Jersey.

What do we know about Mr. Saipov? Mr. Saipov is an Uzbek immigrant; he left his home country in 2010 after winning the U.S. visa lottery. He told the authorities after he was arrested that he was inspired to carry out the attack by Islamic State videos and that he had used a truck as a weapon in order to inflict maximum damage against civilians.

What was Mr. Saipov charged with? Mr. Saipov faced charges that include murder, attempted murder, providing material support to a foreign terrorist organization and violence and destruction of a motor vehicle. He was convicted of all counts on Jan. 26; a jury will now decide whether he should be executed or receive life imprisonment, for which a unanimous vote is required.

Why is the outcome of the trial significant? Mr. Saipov, who was charged during the Trump administration and pleaded not guilty, is the first person to face a death penalty trial during the administration of President Biden, who had campaigned against capital punishment. Mr. Saipov’s lawyers asked the Justice Department to reconsider, but Attorney General Merrick B. Garland denied their request.

On Tuesday, Kristen Wilkens, the first cousin of Mr. Drake, said she had lost a treasured confidant.

“He was my safe place and a place to keep secrets,” she said. “Every day that I go anywhere, there’s reminders of him and how the world just changed that day.”

Ana Evans, the widow of Hernan Mendoza, another victim, described to the jury through an interpreter the moment they met — and the difficulty of telling their 3 children that their father had died.

“Daddy. That’s daddy. I’m missing him,” Ms. Evans recalled her 3-year-old daughter saying as she saw her father’s image on the television screen.

Monica Missio, the mother of Mr. Cleves, described the difficulty she’s had reading his journal entries, many of which start with “I’m grateful to be alive.”

She said her son’s Halloween costume was still folded in his bedroom, as he had left it.

Aristide Melissas and his wife, Marion Van Reeth, two Belgians who survived the attack, sold their home because Ms. Van Reeth could not navigate it with her wheelchair. Mr. Melissas described his more than 20 months in rehabilitation, and how he still can’t work full time.

“I thought of ending my life,” Mr. Melissas testified. “Every time I go in bed, I’m seeking for the feet of my wife,” he said, adding that he holds the socks she wore the night before the attack, “the last night she still had her feet.”

Maria Alejandra Sosa, the widow of Alejandro Pagnucco, described how each night she and her 2 daughters kiss the urn containing his ashes.

A ‘Dangerous’ Prisoner


2 guards from the Federal Bureau of Prisons described Mr. Saipov’s behavior behind bars in New York.

“He is still threatening to eliminate people in prison, threatening to slit the throats of correction officers,” Ms. Houle said during her opening statement.

Rosa Proto, a former officer at the Metropolitan Correctional Center, a now-closed lockup in Manhattan, told jurors how Mr. Saipov in 2019 had covered a surveillance camera in his cell.

Ms. Proto recalled Mr. Saipov saying an officer on the night shift had been “an animal,” and that he wouldn’t uncover the camera until the officer’s “head is chopped off.”

Another officer, Josephine Dones, described how Mr. Saipov had once pressed an alert button inside his cell inside Brooklyn’s Metropolitan Detention Center around 3 a.m.

He was upset by the behavior of a guard and he threatened officers, saying: “I’m going to cut off heads,” Ms. Dones recalled. He kicked and punched the door, and cracked the cell window.

“If this man could crack the window, I don’t know what else he could do,” she said.

On Wednesday, defense attorneys called on Chris Synsvoll, a lawyer for the Bureau of Prisons, who described the Florence, Colo., prison complex where Mr. Saipov could live out his life — locked in a small cell for 23 hours a day with a concrete bed, a concrete desk, a concrete stool and a sliver of a window.

As a new arrival, Mr. Saipov would get 2 monitored 15-minute calls a month, 3 showers a week and no interaction with other inmates. Meals would be served through a sliding cell-door panel. Only after a year of good behavior could he receive additional privileges, Mr. Synsvoll testified, which could include extra phone calls and showers.

ADX Florence is the country’s highest-security prison and is considered the toughest. Zacarias Moussaoui, the 9/11 conspirator, is held there along with Ramzi Ahmed Yousef, the 1993 World Trade Center bombing mastermind.

What’s Next?


Mr. Saipov’s relatives were present in the courtroom Wednesday, though they were not slated to testify until Thursday. The group of at least five, including Mr. Saipov’s father, sat quietly during the testimony, listening through an interpreter.

They sat separately from the victims’ families, who did not interact with them. Mr. Saipov at one point turned his head to look in their direction.

In addition, an expert on Islamic State propaganda will describe why Mr. Saipov, who traveled to the U.S. alone, fit the profile of a person who could be influenced by its message.

The parties have told the judge that the case could run into March. The government will then have the opportunity to make a rebuttal.

“In the end of this case you will be asked to make that momentous, unique, individual, moral choice the judge has described to you,” David Stern, a lawyer for Mr. Saipov, said during his opening statement. He said the jury would not be like Mr. Saipov: “We will show a civilized sense of justice.”

Source: nytimes.com, Staff, February 23, 2023


_____________________________________________________________________




_____________________________________________________________________


FOLLOW US ON:


TELEGRAM


TWITTER







HELP US KEEP THIS BLOG UP & RUNNING!



"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted."


— Oscar Wilde

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Alabama executes Jeremy Williams

Tennessee and Oklahoma have put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men in one day. Tennessee and Oklahoma put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other Thursday, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men by lethal injection in one day for the first time since 2010. The Tennessee man was executed for killing a maid at a motel in 1985, and the Oklahoma man for killing his girlfriend in 2003. In Alabama, a man was put to death Thursday evening for killing a 5-year-old girl he had paid her mother to abuse.

Tennessee executes Darrell Hines

The state has spent millions of dollars over decades to execute a seriously ill man who was already incarcerated. The state of Tennessee executed death row inmate Darrell Hines Thursday morning, according to an advocacy group.  No formal announcement of the execution has been issued by state leaders yet. The execution was slated for 10 a.m. Thursday at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville. [DPN update] Hines was pronounced dead at 10:43 a.m. CDT. His last meal was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, corn, fries, biscuits, a chicken sandwich, chocolate chip cake, and sweet tea.

Oklahoma executes Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez

Oklahoma has carried out 1 of 3 executions set for the same day in the United States in another sign of the resurgence of the death penalty in the country.  Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez was pronounced dead at 10:13 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 13, at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester.  He was put to death by lethal injection for the murder of his common-law wife in 2003 at their Oklahoma City home. He admitted to police he shot her twice during an argument.  Cuesta-Rodriguez, 70, did not fight for his life, stunning his attorneys in July when he told the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board that he didn't want clemency. "It's time for me to pay for what I did," he said. 

Tennessee set to execute Anthony Darrell Hines

Barring any last-minute interventions, the Tennessee Department of Correction will execute Anthony Darrell Hines by lethal injection at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville Thursday morning. This week, two courts had the opportunity to halt the execution: the federal court in Middle Tennessee and the U.S. Supreme Court. Gov. Bill Lee announced Tuesday he personally would not prevent the execution. “After deliberate consideration of Anthony Darrell Hines’ request for clemency, and after a thorough review of the case, I am upholding the sentence of the State of Tennessee and do not plan to intervene,” he said in a written statement. The U.S. Supreme Court has not granted a stay or reprieve.

Tennessee | The doctor who helps put prisoners to death

Dr. Mark Fowler assisted in the failed execution of a Tennessee prisoner. Physicians are meant to heal patients—why is he working in the death chamber? Mark Fowler, a physician with 25 years’ experience, stepped beneath the bright lights and approached the middle-aged man lying on a gurney. Around him, people in medical gowns prepared needles and sterile tubing. It had all the appearances of a hospital setting. Fowler had been called in to help establish an IV line through which the 57-year-old man, Tony Carruthers, would be injected with pharmaceutical drugs. The team had struggled to find a vein, so Fowler was summoned to set a central line—an intravenous catheter inserted into the major vein below the collarbone.

Alabama Set To Carry Out Execution This Week

Alabama is preparing to execute Jeremy Williams, who pled guilty to the 2021 rape and murder of five-year-old Kamarie Holland.  The execution is scheduled for Thursday (August 13) at the Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, Alabama.  Williams, who is 41, requested the death penalty and waived his right to appeal, making this the first execution in Alabama this year.

The 'Black Widow' shakes Iran: 10 death sentences for a serial killer who killed 12 men

Kolthum Akbari, an Iranian woman widely dubbed the “Black Widow,” was convicted of serial murders of elderly men she married, often temporarily. Official accounts generally center on 11 murders (plus one attempted murder), though Akbari herself gave varying figures and investigations suggested she had many more marriages.  The sentencing occurred primarily in September 2025 in Mazandaran Province, with ongoing reporting and updates into 2026. The 56- to 59-year-old killer confessed to killing at least 11 elderly men after temporarily or officially marrying them; Iranian authorities have linked her to additional marriages and possible further victims.

Israel builds execution chamber for Palestinians convicted of murder

In March, the Knesset approved legislation that calls for the execution of Palestinians convicted by a military court of killing Israelis Israeli authorities are preparing a prison wing—replete with an execution chamber—designated specifically for Palestinian prisoners convicted of murder, Israel’s i24NEWS channel reported Tuesday. The move comes after the Knesset (Israel’s parliament) approved legislation in March that calls for the execution of Palestinian prisoners convicted by a military court of murdering Israelis.

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine issues three death penalty reprieves

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) – Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine issued execution reprieves for three death row inmates on Friday. In a statement, DeWine said he issued reprieves for Keith LaMar, Scott Group, and Davel Chinn, all of whom were set to be executed early next year. LaMar was scheduled to be executed on Jan. 13, 2027. He was convicted of aggravated murder for the deaths of five inmates during a 1993 riot at the Southern Ohio Correctional Institution in Lucasville. He received the death penalty for four of the killings. His new execution date is Jan. 13, 2030. Watch the latest NBC4 headlines in the video player above.

Arizona prosecutors seek death penalty a second time for 2 inmates

County Attorney Brad Miller said Aug. 6 that the nature of the attack and both men's past criminal records meet the strict legal bar required for execution under Arizona law. FLORENCE, Ariz. - Pinal County prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against two inmates accused of violently killing a fellow prisoner behind bars, officials announced Thursday. Pinal County Attorney Brad Miller filed a Notice of Intent to Seek the Death Penalty against Pete Van Winkle and Tracy Hampton in connection with the fatal attack on Kenneth Thompson.