Skip to main content

Saudi Arabia | The third and largest mass execution massacre during the reign of King Salman and his son

12 March، 2022 -- Today, March 12, 2022, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia carried out the largest massacre of mass executions during the reign of King Salman bin Abdulaziz: 81 people, including 7 Yemenis and one Syrian.

Although the victims were not tried collectively as part of a joint lawsuit, the Saudi Ministry of Interior filed general accusations against them in a statement it published, stating that: "They embraced the misguided thought, deviant methods and beliefs with external loyalties and hostile parties, and pledged allegiance to them for corruption and misguidance, so they committed terrorist acts, such as killing, violating sanctities, and targeting places of worship, and government headquarters."

The European Saudi Organization for Human Rights believes that this massacre is a flagrant violation of international laws and it is a complete torpedo of the allegations made by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in his interview with The Atlantic a few days ago, in which he said that Saudi Arabia got rid of the death penalty, except for the category of those involved in the murders.


ESOHR documented some of the cases of these victims, but it has not been able to monitor the rest due to the lack of transparency in dealing with execution cases, threats, and intimidation of families and civil society. The documentation of several cases confirmed that the charges did not include any serious charges, and some of them related to participation in demonstrations demanding justice and human rights. 



Public beheading in Saudi Arabia (Warning: Graphic Content)



The Ministry of Interior claimed in a statement that:" the defendants were prosecuted before a competent court, were empowered with the guarantees, and all the rights guaranteed to them by the regulations in the Kingdom.” ESOHR had documented flagrant violations of fair trial standards, including denial of access to a lawyer, exposure to torture, and denial from communicating with the outside world. 

In addition, the United Nations, through its various mechanisms, had contacted the Saudi government about the cases of some of those who were executed, including Asaad Shuber and Muhammad al-Shakhouri, and confirmed that their trials involved several violations, including torture and the lack of adequate self-defense.

ESOHR believes that the third mass massacre during the reign of King Salman bin Abdulaziz is a continuation of the bloodshed that characterized this era, far from official attempts to whitewash the image of the government. The organization stresses that the mass execution confirmed that this punishment is strictly subject to the political decision, and there is no possibility of holding the tormentors and violators accountable.

The organization considers that this massacre reinforces the lack of any seriousness or confidence in official promises, and it also raises concerns for the lives and safety of individuals who are still facing the death penalty, including minors, especially since this massacre, in which 81 people were killed, was preceded by two massacres in 2016 that affected 47 people And in 2019, it affected 37 people.

Source: esohr.org, Staff, March 12, 2022

Mass execution of 81 men in Saudi Arabia


Saudi Arabia today announced that it had killed 81 men in a mass execution. This is the largest mass execution in the country's modern history. It comes a week after comments by Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman were published in The Atlantic, promising to modernise the Kingdom's criminal justice system.

Reprieve Deputy Director Soraya Bauwens commented:

“The world should know by now that when Mohammed Bin Salman promises reform, bloodshed is bound to follow. Just last week the Crown Prince told journalists he plans to modernise Saudi Arabia’s criminal justice system, only to order the largest mass execution in the country’s history.

There are prisoners of conscience on Saudi death row, and others arrested as children or charged with non-violent crimes. We fear for every one of them following this brutal display of impunity.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is due to visit Saudi Arabia soon, to beg for Saudi oil to replace Russian gas. We cannot show our revulsion for Putin’s atrocities by rewarding those of the Crown Prince. Johnson must speak up and condemn these killings. “

Ali Adubusi, Director of the European Saudi Organisation for Human Rights, commented:

"We have details on some of the cases, and according to official documents, not a drop of blood is found in the charges of many of these men. 

These executions are the opposite of justice. Some of these men were tortured, most trials were carried out in secret. 

This horrific massacre took place days after Mohammed bin Salman had declared that executions would be limited. It is the third such mass killing in the seven year reign of King Salman and his son."

47 men were executed on January 2, 2016, and a mass execution of 37 prisoners was carried out on 23 April 2019, including six who were children at the time of their alleged offences.

Source: Reprieve, Staff, March 13, 2022


🚩 | Report an error, an omission, a typo; suggest a story or a new angle to an existing story; submit a piece, a comment; recommend a resource; contact the webmaster, contact us: deathpenaltynews@gmail.com.


Opposed to Capital Punishment? Help us keep this blog up and running! DONATE!



"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted." -- Oscar Wilde

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Alabama executes Jeremy Williams

Tennessee and Oklahoma have put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men in one day. Tennessee and Oklahoma put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other Thursday, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men by lethal injection in one day for the first time since 2010. The Tennessee man was executed for killing a maid at a motel in 1985, and the Oklahoma man for killing his girlfriend in 2003. In Alabama, a man was put to death Thursday evening for killing a 5-year-old girl he had paid her mother to abuse.

Tennessee executes Darrell Hines

The state has spent millions of dollars over decades to execute a seriously ill man who was already incarcerated. The state of Tennessee executed death row inmate Darrell Hines Thursday morning, according to an advocacy group.  No formal announcement of the execution has been issued by state leaders yet. The execution was slated for 10 a.m. Thursday at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville. [DPN update] Hines was pronounced dead at 10:43 a.m. CDT. His last meal was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, corn, fries, biscuits, a chicken sandwich, chocolate chip cake, and sweet tea.

Alabama Set To Carry Out Execution This Week

Alabama is preparing to execute Jeremy Williams, who pled guilty to the 2021 rape and murder of five-year-old Kamarie Holland.  The execution is scheduled for Thursday (August 13) at the Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, Alabama.  Williams, who is 41, requested the death penalty and waived his right to appeal, making this the first execution in Alabama this year.

Oklahoma executes Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez

Oklahoma has carried out 1 of 3 executions set for the same day in the United States in another sign of the resurgence of the death penalty in the country.  Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez was pronounced dead at 10:13 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 13, at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester.  He was put to death by lethal injection for the murder of his common-law wife in 2003 at their Oklahoma City home. He admitted to police he shot her twice during an argument.  Cuesta-Rodriguez, 70, did not fight for his life, stunning his attorneys in July when he told the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board that he didn't want clemency. "It's time for me to pay for what I did," he said. 

Tennessee set to execute Anthony Darrell Hines

Barring any last-minute interventions, the Tennessee Department of Correction will execute Anthony Darrell Hines by lethal injection at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville Thursday morning. This week, two courts had the opportunity to halt the execution: the federal court in Middle Tennessee and the U.S. Supreme Court. Gov. Bill Lee announced Tuesday he personally would not prevent the execution. “After deliberate consideration of Anthony Darrell Hines’ request for clemency, and after a thorough review of the case, I am upholding the sentence of the State of Tennessee and do not plan to intervene,” he said in a written statement. The U.S. Supreme Court has not granted a stay or reprieve.

Tennessee | The doctor who helps put prisoners to death

Dr. Mark Fowler assisted in the failed execution of a Tennessee prisoner. Physicians are meant to heal patients—why is he working in the death chamber? Mark Fowler, a physician with 25 years’ experience, stepped beneath the bright lights and approached the middle-aged man lying on a gurney. Around him, people in medical gowns prepared needles and sterile tubing. It had all the appearances of a hospital setting. Fowler had been called in to help establish an IV line through which the 57-year-old man, Tony Carruthers, would be injected with pharmaceutical drugs. The team had struggled to find a vein, so Fowler was summoned to set a central line—an intravenous catheter inserted into the major vein below the collarbone.

Iran’s War on Women: Executions, Floggings, and the Politics of Fear

The Iranian regime is increasingly using death sentences, corporal punishment, and judicial persecution against women—not only to silence dissent but also to intimidate a society demanding change. The Iranian regime has long viewed women as central to the country’s struggle for freedom—and therefore as central targets of repression. The nationwide uprising of 2022 fundamentally altered the political landscape, demonstrating that Iranian women were no longer merely participants in protest movements but among their principal organizers and symbols. Since then, the authorities have steadily intensified their campaign against women, expanding the use of executions, imprisonment, corporal punishment, and judicial intimidation.

The 'Black Widow' shakes Iran: 10 death sentences for a serial killer who killed 12 men

Kolthum Akbari, an Iranian woman widely dubbed the “Black Widow,” was convicted of serial murders of elderly men she married, often temporarily. Official accounts generally center on 11 murders (plus one attempted murder), though Akbari herself gave varying figures and investigations suggested she had many more marriages.  The sentencing occurred primarily in September 2025 in Mazandaran Province, with ongoing reporting and updates into 2026. The 56- to 59-year-old killer confessed to killing at least 11 elderly men after temporarily or officially marrying them; Iranian authorities have linked her to additional marriages and possible further victims.

Arizona prosecutors seek death penalty a second time for 2 inmates

County Attorney Brad Miller said Aug. 6 that the nature of the attack and both men's past criminal records meet the strict legal bar required for execution under Arizona law. FLORENCE, Ariz. - Pinal County prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against two inmates accused of violently killing a fellow prisoner behind bars, officials announced Thursday. Pinal County Attorney Brad Miller filed a Notice of Intent to Seek the Death Penalty against Pete Van Winkle and Tracy Hampton in connection with the fatal attack on Kenneth Thompson. 

Iran | Executions in Tabriz, Zanjan, Qazvin

Iranian authorities executed at least three prisoners, including two Turks, identified as Amrollah Dousti, Hojjat Khayat, and Yousef Bagheri, in Tabriz and Zanjan Central Prisons. Dousti and Khayat were executed on drug-related charges, while Bagheri was executed for “premeditated murder.” According to information received by the Hengaw Organization for Human Rights, Dousti, 40, from Bandar Abbas and a father of two, and Khayat, 51, from Tabriz and a father of three, were executed in Tabriz Central Prison on Sunday, August 9, 2026.