Skip to main content

'I want to get married': an interview with the Japan 'Twitter killer' sentenced to death

Takahiro Shiraishi, 30, was handed the death penalty on Dec. 15 over a 2017 serial murder case in the Kanagawa prefecture city of Zama. The bodies of nine men and women were found in his apartment, and he was tried for robbery, forcible sexual intercourse and murder, among other crimes.

On the morning of Dec. 16, Shiraishi spoke with a Mainichi Shimbun reporter in a face-to-face meeting at the Tachikawa Detention House in the Tokyo suburban city of Tachikawa, where he is being held. 

The following interview is a transcript of their conversation.

Kazuki Mogami: Good morning.

Takahiro Shiraishi: Good morning.

KM: How does it feel the morning after the ruling?

TS: (Smiling) It's no different than normal.

KM: In that moment they handed down the sentence, how did you feel?

TS: (Stretches back, his eyes closed) Well, to be honest, I wasn't thinking anything. I'd thought I might feel something. But to some strange extent, I didn't sweat, and my heart wasn't pounding or anything. I already knew full well what was coming.

KM: You're calm about it.

TS: My feelings haven't changed.

KM: Have you spoken with your lawyers?

TS: No, they've not come. I think they'll be here this week, but they'll probably say we should appeal; if they do I'm going to say I'm withdrawing.

KM: Your thinking on not appealing hasn't changed?

TS: It hasn't.

KM: After the ruling, your lawyers said they would decide what to do after discussions with you.

TS: If I am consulted, I plan to say, "I won't appeal."

KM: You're alright not fighting it?

TS: (Smiling) It's the way it is now. I mean, it's not like I don't have any thoughts about it. But you know, it's been about two years now since the ban on my receiving visitors was lifted. But there's this thing you call "anniversary journalism" in your line of business, right? At those times, I get loads of people here. Apart from those landmark dates, almost no one comes to see me. So, extending that (the period he can be visited for would be prolonged if he appeals) seems pointless. So, now I want to meet a normal girl.

KM: What do you mean?

TS: I want to get married, is what I'm saying. If I do, she could see me even when I go to the Tokyo Detention House (where death row inmates are kept).

KM: People on death row can also see their families, too.

TS: Right. I want to look for someone who'll marry me while I'm in prison. Several people have come in the last two years, but nothing has led to marriage. I get these kinds of fan letters sometimes too, but there aren't many women who would become the kind of person to come and see me here. Also, I've read these letters so closely now, that I know which ones are sent as part of a plan by the weekly magazines and other places. (Laughs)

KM: What are these plans?

TS: You could say it's like the weekly magazines are trying to reel me in; the letters I get from those kinds of women generally come with paper and an envelope to write back to them with, and a postage stamp.

KM: But you don't send letters back.

TS: Right. If they got published in (weekly magazine) Bunshun, wouldn't it be embarrassing? Like I'd been used. So, if a letter or note by me ever does make it out into the wild, know that it's fake.

KM: Why do you want to get married while in prison?

TS: I was thinking it'd be good to have someone who supports me. She'd be able to come and see me here, and bring me things.

KM: Do you feel lonely?

TS: No, I don't feel anything like that now, but in case I did get lonely...

KM: Is there a woman with whom you're talking about getting married or meeting here at the moment?

TS: There is. There are two, actually, but they're connected to journalists. They've told me things like, "I looked you up online and I wasn't sure how I could meet you, so I got in touch with weekly magazines and freelance writers." What do you think? It almost sounds like a setup. (Laughs)

KM: If you're going to file a marriage application within the appeals window, there's not a lot of time, is there?

TS: Yeah, so I think it's not going to come together. None of the conversations I'm having with people are going anywhere certain anyway. So, I want to put the time I do have left to use finding a girl.

KM: Am I the last journalist you're talking to?

TS: Yeah, because a girl might be coming to see me.

KM: In the more than a year that you and I have had these exchanges, I've felt like your ability to imagine other people's pain, to empathize with them, is minimal.

TS: I might have told you this before, but the police officer who interrogated me said the same thing. He was like, "If you'd been a surgeon or a rescue worker, maybe you'd have been a big success." So I think it's like a gift. I had that kind of gift.

KM: You mean you accept that?

TS: Yeah. You (the interviewer) are busy, right, so I'm not saying you have to, but if you do come here to see me, if I've come to the conclusion it seems like there's no girl coming to see me, then on that day we'll meet. But you don't have to. What I mean is, today might be the last time. Thank you for everything. Take care of your health, don't catch corona, and keep on working hard and living your life.

Source: mainichi.jp, Staff, December 18, 2020. Click here to read the Japanese version.


🚩 | Report an error, an omission, a typo; suggest a story or a new angle to an existing story; submit a piece, a comment; recommend a resource; contact the webmaster, contact us: deathpenaltynews@gmail.com.


Opposed to Capital Punishment? Help us keep this blog up and running! DONATE!



"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted." -- Oscar Wilde

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Tennessee Woman Christa Pike Survives Lethal Injection, Ends Up in Hospital; Governor Halts Executions

Tennessee unable to carry out the execution by lethal injection of Christa Gail Pike Tennessee officials were unable to put Christa Gail Pike to death for a 1995 murder Wednesday, media witnesses said, after the lethal injection was halted for hours as courts considered a last-minute appeal of what would have been the state's 1st execution of a woman in at least 200 years.  Pike, 50, had been scheduled for execution for a killing she committed at age 18 after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned an appeals court ruling that stopped the lethal injection just an hour before it was to start. Officials then attempted to go ahead with it as planned. 

Florida | He executed death row prisoners. Then they came back to haunt him

Dunnellon, Florida—Every night, one of the men Ron McAndrew killed would sit at the foot of his bed and stare, blankly, into his tortured soul. He knew they were coming. He’d shift over in his sheets to make room. “They never said anything,” McAndrew recalls, his aged voice straining from the weight of the memory. “They just sat there and looked at me.” But their eyes would talk. They would ask, "How could you do such a thing?’” says McAndrew. “You always claimed to be a good person. And now you’re killing people.”

Tennessee | Governor permits Christa Pike execution: 'I am upholding the sentence'

Gov. Bill Lee does not plan to stop Christa Pike's execution. Pike, 50, is scheduled to be killed by lethal injection 10 a.m. Sept. 30 at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville. “After deliberate consideration of Christa Gail Pike’s request for clemency, and after a thorough review of the case, I am upholding the sentence of the State of Tennessee and do not plan to intervene," Lee said in a statement released Sept. 28. Pike's attorneys lamented the news.

Tennessee Supreme Court denies stay for death row inmate Christa Pike

(TNND) — As Tennessee prepares for a Sept. 30 execution, the Tennessee Supreme Court has denied death row inmate Christa Gail Pike’s request to stop it. The court rejected Pike’s challenge to the state’s lethal-injection protocol, finding that her thrombocytosis diagnosis, a condition involving elevated blood platelets, did not show the execution would violate the Eighth Amendment ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

Florida executes Curtis Beasley

A 77-year-old man convicted of killing a woman with a hammer has become the 16th person executed this year in Florida  A 77-year-old Florida man was put to death Tuesday for his conviction in a deadly hammer attack on a woman decades ago, becoming the 16th person executed to date this year in the nation’s busiest death chamber.  Curtis Wilkie Beasley was pronounced dead at 6:12 p.m. following a lethal injection at Florida State Prison near Starke. He was convicted of 1st-degree murder, robbery, and grand theft auto in the 1995 hammer attack on Carolyn Monfort at her home south of Orlando. 

William Thompson Faces Execution in Florida Amid Dementia, Terminal Illness Concerns

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed an exe­cu­tion war­rant for 74-year-old pris­on­er William ​“Bill” Thompson less than 24 hours after he was released from the hos­pi­tal to the hos­pice wing of the prison. After his attor­neys raised seri­ous con­cerns about his men­tal com­pe­ten­cy and dete­ri­o­rat­ing phys­i­cal health, Gov. DeSantis agreed to tem­porar­i­ly stay the exe­cu­tion so Mr. Thompson’s com­pe­ten­cy can be eval­u­at­ed on October 1. If he is found com­pe­tent, his exe­cu­tion remains sched­uled for October 13.

Singapore | Ministry of Home Affairs refutes claims that death penalty was discussed during visit by Israel's security ministry

The Ministry of Home Affairs says discussions with the Israeli government involved the sharing of best practices in emergency response, crime prevention, and forensics. Issues relating to the death penalty “were never part of the meeting and were not discussed."  SINGAPORE: The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on Friday (Sep 11) refuted claims by an Israeli media outlet that the death penalty was discussed during a visit by an Israeli delegation in May. The Haaretz newspaper reported on Sep 7 that a delegation comprising representatives from the Israel Prison Service and National Security Ministry made a “secret visit” to Singapore that month.

Philippines | President Marcos Grants Absolute Pardon to Mary Jane Veloso

President Marcos Confirms Decision to Grant Absolute Pardon to Mary Jane Veloso  President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has signed an absolute pardon for Mary Jane Veloso after more than a decade.  On Friday (September 25, 2026), the President confirmed the decision during a visit to Guiuan, Eastern Samar.  According to him, the pardon was officially signed the previous day, marking a major development in the case.  

Texas executes Ker’Sean Ramey

Texas executes man for a triple killing, days after other man convicted in case was put to death  A man was executed Wednesday evening in Texas for a triple killing committed during an attempted robbery at a rural home, 1 week after the other man convicted in the case was put to death.  Ker’Sean Ramey, 41, was pronounced dead at 6:34 p.m. CDT following a lethal injection at the state penitentiary in Huntsville. He was the 6th person executed this year in Texas, with 3 more lethal injections scheduled in the state over the next 2 months. 

Indiana plans to proceed with execution after botched Tennessee attempt

Indiana prison officials plan to proceed with Jeffrey Weisheit’s Nov. 5 execution after a botched lethal injection in Tennessee prompted that state’s governor to halt executions and order an independent review. The Indiana Department of Correction said Thursday that it remains confident in its procedures despite using the same protocol as Tennessee. Agency officials offered no additional details about the training of those administering lethal injections, the role of medical personnel, or safeguards for execution drugs.