Skip to main content

Ohio | Judges find Peter Romans not guilty on all charges for the 2008 fire that killed his family

LONDON — Peter Romans dropped his chin to his chest and sobbed Thursday morning as a judge's words echoed through the Madison County courtroom: Not guilty. 

A three-judge panel had deliberated about four hours before rendering not guilty verdicts on each of 11 charges Romans faced that accused him of starting the fatal fire that killed his wife and two children in 2008. The charges against him included aggravated murder that could have carried the death penalty.

Killed in the blaze that happened just after midnight on April 6, 2008 were Romans' wife, Billi; 12-year-old son Caleb; and daughter Ami, 16.

Romans' current wife, two grown stepsons and the sisters of his late wife — who were there to support Romans — all wept uncontrollably in the courtroom as the verdicts were read.

"God had this," one sister said as she embraced his wife, Robin Fritz Romans, who was so overcome with emotion that her cries were nearly wails.

Romans, 60, had been in jail since his arrest in July 2019, but he walked out of the courthouse a free and exonerated man Thursday.

After the verdicts were read, defense attorney Sam Shamansky said his client had trusted the judges to do what was right.

"He is so incredibly relieved and eager to get home to his family," Shamansky said.

In a rare move, Romans elected to forego a trial by jury and instead asked a panel of judges to hear his capital case.

Following 11 days of testimony from 50 witnesses in Madison County Common Pleas Court, those judges appointed by the Ohio Supreme Court — retired Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court Judges Janet Burnside in charge, and retired Cuyahoga Common Pleas Court Judge Thomas Pokorny and retired Brown County Common Pleas Court Judge R. Alan Corbin — deliberated following dramatic closing arguments on Wednesday before announcing their decision in open court Thursday morning.

Romans had been charged with aggravated murder, murder, and aggravated arson in the deaths of his family. 

Romans has lived under a cloud of suspicion — at least in the eyes of investigators from several state and local agencies — since almost immediately after the fire. He was the sole survivor.

He was not charged or arrested until July 2019 as the case spent a decade being passed through a host of various investigators and prosecutors.


During the trial, Shamansky said "Peter Romans lost everything that mattered to him. It was all taken from him in an instant." 

Yet investigators had never given up on their theory that Romans had killed his family, but whether it was done for his love of another woman or because he needed insurance money (or both) they could never decide. Prosecutors floated both theories in court.

During the trial, which was handled by prosecutors from the Ohio Attorney General's Office, the state made its case that Romans was in financial ruin in 2008 and was having an affair with the then-married Robin Fritz. (The two married each other in 2010).

Robin Fritz Romans was barred from the court during most of the proceedings because she could have been called to testify. She sat faithfully each day in the hallway of the historic courthouse, passing the time by cross-stitching and waving to her husband through the doorway at each break. She alternately cried and shook her head in denial at accusations made during closing arguments Wednesday after she was allowed in.

She listened as prosecutors recapped how they believed Romans poured gasoline over the driver's side floorboards of his family's 2001 Ford Expedition SUV that was parked within two feet of their modular home (and next to a propane gas line) and set it ablaze as his family slept that night.

Then, as the fire roared and his wife and daughter both awoke and called 911, he left the house without them — to move his pickup truck that had a full tank of gas away, he said — and couldn't get back in. He ran to his landlord's house about two football fields away for help.

"Peter Romans made a number of decisions, and every one of them was to make sure that Ami, Billi and Caleb died," state prosecutor Joel King told the judges.

But this case was always also about that Ford Expedition and whether it was to blame instead. The Dispatch featured it in 2011 as part of its "Killers Among Us" cold-case series. 

After the fire, Romans told investigators he had been having trouble with the SUV. Ford for years had had a documented problem with the cruise-control deactivation switches failing and causing spontaneous vehicle fires. The Romans' SUV was under recall, but had never been repaired.

Insurance companies as well as law enforcement launched investigations. 

In February of 2009, Romans sued Ford Motor Co. and the switch manufacturer alleging the defect caused the fatal fire. In August of that year, however, the state fire marshal's office ruled it an arson. And so began more a decade of legal back and forth.

At trial, both sides presented experts who used the same evidence — the very switch taken from the Romans' SUV as evidence after the fire — but brought competing theories. State experts said the fire clearly was set in the passenger compartment and spread; defense experts said the fire clearly started in the switch.

State prosecutor Dan Kasaris summed it up for the judges: "What this case boils down to is really, who do you believe? Whose evidence do you give the greater weight to?"

And the judges made their decision.

Romans still has a case against Ford pending in federal court that had been placed on hold pending the outcome of this criminal trial.

Source: dispatch.com, Holly Zachariah, October 29, 2020


🚩 | Report an error, an omission, a typo; suggest a story or a new angle to an existing story; submit a piece, a comment; recommend a resource; contact the webmaster, contact us: deathpenaltynews@gmail.com.


Opposed to Capital Punishment? Help us keep this blog up and running! DONATE!



"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted." -- Oscar Wilde

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Israel builds execution chamber for Palestinians convicted of murder

In March, the Knesset approved legislation that calls for the execution of Palestinians convicted by a military court of killing Israelis Israeli authorities are preparing a prison wing—replete with an execution chamber—designated specifically for Palestinian prisoners convicted of murder, Israel’s i24NEWS channel reported Tuesday. The move comes after the Knesset (Israel’s parliament) approved legislation in March that calls for the execution of Palestinian prisoners convicted by a military court of murdering Israelis.

Florida executes William Frances Silvia

Florida executed its 13th death row prisoner of the year Tuesday evening amid the state’s aggressive use of the death penalty championed by Governor Ron DeSantis. William Frances Silvia, 61, who was convicted of fatally shooting his estranged wife and injuring his mother-in-law in 2006, was pronounced dead at 6:11 p.m. after receiving the lethal three-drug injection at Florida State Prison.  At 6 p.m. Tuesday, Silvia was already strapped to a gurney with an IV in his arm when the curtain to the death chamber went up.  He remained relatively motionless with his eyes and mouth open throughout most of the execution while a priest sat at his feet and prayed.

Spared execution eight times, oldest inmate in US dies at 101 after 76 years behind bars

Francis Clifford Smith was given his last meal eight times. But after being spared execution each time, he went on to be regarded as the longest-serving prisoner in the US before dying in June at 101 years old. Convicted of murder in 1950 when he was 25, he always maintained his innocence, those who knew him told the BBC. Andrius Banevicius, the public information officer for Connecticut's Department of Correction, recounted how Smith used to feed the birds while in Osborn Prison, earning him the nickname The Birdman of Osborn.

Cartoons about Capital Punishment

  More cartoons about capital punishment HERE

Tennessee | The doctor who helps put prisoners to death

Dr. Mark Fowler assisted in the failed execution of a Tennessee prisoner. Physicians are meant to heal patients—why is he working in the death chamber? Mark Fowler, a physician with 25 years’ experience, stepped beneath the bright lights and approached the middle-aged man lying on a gurney. Around him, people in medical gowns prepared needles and sterile tubing. It had all the appearances of a hospital setting. Fowler had been called in to help establish an IV line through which the 57-year-old man, Tony Carruthers, would be injected with pharmaceutical drugs. The team had struggled to find a vein, so Fowler was summoned to set a central line—an intravenous catheter inserted into the major vein below the collarbone.

Alabama is trying a death penalty bait-and-switch

For a decade, Alabama death row inmate Jeffrey Lee has been clear that he does not want to be executed by lethal injection . But that is what awaits him on September 17 . He faces that prospect because the state has been enjoined from using nitrogen hypoxia , the alternative execution method he preferred, to put him to death. Having failed to show that its nitrogen hypoxia protocol is constitutionally acceptable, Alabama wants a do-over to force Lee to die by lethal injection as a result of its own failure. It should not get one. Alabama should only be able to put Lee to death if it can fix nitrogen hypoxia’s constitutional defects.

Alabama executes Jeremy Williams

Tennessee and Oklahoma have put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men in one day. Tennessee and Oklahoma put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other Thursday, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men by lethal injection in one day for the first time since 2010. The Tennessee man was executed for killing a maid at a motel in 1985, and the Oklahoma man for killing his girlfriend in 2003. In Alabama, a man was put to death Thursday evening for killing a 5-year-old girl he had paid her mother to abuse.

Oklahoma executes Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez

Oklahoma has carried out 1 of 3 executions set for the same day in the United States in another sign of the resurgence of the death penalty in the country.  Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez was pronounced dead at 10:13 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 13, at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester.  He was put to death by lethal injection for the murder of his common-law wife in 2003 at their Oklahoma City home. He admitted to police he shot her twice during an argument.  Cuesta-Rodriguez, 70, did not fight for his life, stunning his attorneys in July when he told the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board that he didn't want clemency. "It's time for me to pay for what I did," he said. 

Tennessee executes Darrell Hines

The state has spent millions of dollars over decades to execute a seriously ill man who was already incarcerated. The state of Tennessee executed death row inmate Darrell Hines Thursday morning, according to an advocacy group.  No formal announcement of the execution has been issued by state leaders yet. The execution was slated for 10 a.m. Thursday at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville. [DPN update] Hines was pronounced dead at 10:43 a.m. CDT. His last meal was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, corn, fries, biscuits, a chicken sandwich, chocolate chip cake, and sweet tea.

The 'Black Widow' shakes Iran: 10 death sentences for a serial killer who killed 12 men

Kolthum Akbari, an Iranian woman widely dubbed the “Black Widow,” was convicted of serial murders of elderly men she married, often temporarily. Official accounts generally center on 11 murders (plus one attempted murder), though Akbari herself gave varying figures and investigations suggested she had many more marriages.  The sentencing occurred primarily in September 2025 in Mazandaran Province, with ongoing reporting and updates into 2026. The 56- to 59-year-old killer confessed to killing at least 11 elderly men after temporarily or officially marrying them; Iranian authorities have linked her to additional marriages and possible further victims.