Skip to main content

California | One year after execution halt, death penalty cases go on

Dismantling California's gas chamber
Though the state death chamber is shut down capital punishment cases still go on in trial courts around California

It was the afternoon of March 13, 2019, and at San Quentin State Prison, the symbolism was hard to miss.

A handful of prison guards were photographed grappling with the apple-green metal chairs and a sleek gurney, clambering out of the confines of the prison’s execution chamber and loading the equipment on a flatbed truck.

Another guard posted a hastily printed sign on the door to the death chamber. “Gas chamber CLOSED per Executive Order N-09-19.”

At virtually the same time as the workers dismantled the state’s furniture of capital punishment, Gov. Gavin Newsom was explaining to a news conference in the capital why just that morning he had decided to declare a moratorium on all executions in the state, for as long as he was in office.

“I think, if someone kills, we don’t kill,” Newsom said. “We’re better than that. So, this moratorium advances that principal.”

One year later, the death chamber remains empty and unused, but death penalty cases continue to make their way through state trial courts. While Newsom left no doubt that he was opposed to capital punishment, prosecutors in the state seem not to have been deterred.

The governor’s executive order applied only to those already on death row — there are 728, the nation’s largest collection of the condemned — and did not wipe out the state law allowing juries and judges to impose the death penalty.

In San Diego County, District Attorney Summer Stephan has decided to seek the death penalty in four cases since Newsom made his moratorium announcement. In the previous 2 years, the death penalty had been sought only once — in 2017 against the accused killer of San Diego Police Officer Jonathan De Guzman, a case that has yet to go to trial.

There were no death penalty cases filed by San Diego prosecutors in all of 2018. The four cases in which Stephan has sought death are:

• Cesar Alvarrado, 41, accused of taking part in a 2-week crime spree in which one person was killed and another paralyzed;

• John Earnest, 20, who is accused of opening fire at the Chabad of Poway in April, killing 1 person and wounding several others;

• Malissa James, 28, accused with another man in the stabbing death of a woman in Carlsbad;

• Shaun Ward, 40, accused of killing a woman in a Midway adult store.

All of those cases are still pending.

California's death rowThe sharp increase in death penalty cases locally was different than surrounding counties, several of which have for years prosecuted more death cases than San Diego. In Orange County, which has put eight people on death row since 2013, there were no capital cases filed in all of 2019, a spokesman there said.

In Los Angeles County, where 22 people have been put on death row since 2013, prosecutors sought the death penalty against three people in two separate cases since Newsom’s executive order. The office has 18 pending death cases. District Attorney Jackie Lacey has come under criticism by the American Civil Liberties Union and other groups for her capital case prosecutions focused on the fact that all 22 people sentenced to death are people of color.


Riverside County filed four death penalty cases since March 2019 and has 13 other death cases pending. Twice in the past five years, in 2015 and 2017, no other county in the nation sent more people to death row than Riverside, according to the anti-capital punishment group the Death Penalty Information Center.

Tanya Sierra, a spokeswoman for Stephan, said the upswing in capital case filings in the county is not a reaction to Newsom’s moratorium, which took many prosecutors by surprise and was criticized by Stephan at the time.

“The death penalty is applied very rarely and to only the most violent, heinous, cold-blooded crimes,” Sierra wrote in an email. “We have no control over how many such crimes are committed from year to year in San Diego County, but we have a duty under the law to consider filing the death penalty when presented with those cases.”

But whether death cases should go forward in the face of a moratorium that will last as long as Newsom is in office is still a matter of debate. In September the state Supreme Court declined to take up a case by lawyers representing 2 defendants in the Los Angeles 2019 death cases, who argued pursuing a death case under the execution halt prejudiced their clients.

The lawyers contended jurors in such cases would be more likely to vote in favor of the death penalty if they believed it would never be carried out. Though the court did not take up the case, critics say that some prosecutors could be seen as pushing back against Newsom in death cases.

“I can not tell you a decision to charge is politically motivated but the statements we have seen some prosecutors make with references to the moratorium suggest they have more than just law enforcement in mind,” said Robert Dunham, the executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center.

Closed signHe pointed specifically to comments made after the decision to seek the death penalty against Joseph James DeAngelo, the accused “Golden State Killer,” charged in a dozen slayings and more than 50 rapes in a terrifying decades-long crime spree across the state.

Santa Barbara Joyce Dudley told The Santa Barbara Independent newspaper in May that “I have every right to keep prosecuting cases that are death penalty eligible.” Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer appeared at a news conference with relatives of some of DeAngelo’s victims and said Newsom “took a knife and stabbed it into the heart of all these crime victims.”

David Loy, the legal director for the ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties, said it was difficult to ascribe a specific political motive to death decisions. But he said an equally important issue is why prosecutors, in the face of a moratorium, are electing to pursue time-consuming and costly death prosecutions.

“Nothing requires them to do this,” he said of the decision to seek the death penalty. “It is important for the public to know their DA is allocating resources in this way and choosing to fight these battles."

California has not executed anyone since 2006. When Newsom made his announcement the death row census stood at 738. Since then 10 inmates have died, 1 from a drug overdose, 2 from natural causes. The causes of death for the remainder have not been determined.

Source: San Diego Union Tribune, Staff, March 23, 2020


⚑ | Report an error, an omission, a typo; suggest a story or a new angle to an existing story; submit a piece, a comment; recommend a resource; contact the webmaster, contact us: deathpenaltynews@gmail.com.


Opposed to Capital Punishment? Help us keep this blog up and running! DONATE!



"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted." -- Oscar Wilde

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Alabama executes Jeremy Williams

Tennessee and Oklahoma have put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men in one day. Tennessee and Oklahoma put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other Thursday, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men by lethal injection in one day for the first time since 2010. The Tennessee man was executed for killing a maid at a motel in 1985, and the Oklahoma man for killing his girlfriend in 2003. In Alabama, a man was put to death Thursday evening for killing a 5-year-old girl he had paid her mother to abuse.

Tennessee executes Darrell Hines

The state has spent millions of dollars over decades to execute a seriously ill man who was already incarcerated. The state of Tennessee executed death row inmate Darrell Hines Thursday morning, according to an advocacy group.  No formal announcement of the execution has been issued by state leaders yet. The execution was slated for 10 a.m. Thursday at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville. [DPN update] Hines was pronounced dead at 10:43 a.m. CDT. His last meal was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, corn, fries, biscuits, a chicken sandwich, chocolate chip cake, and sweet tea.

Oklahoma executes Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez

Oklahoma has carried out 1 of 3 executions set for the same day in the United States in another sign of the resurgence of the death penalty in the country.  Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez was pronounced dead at 10:13 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 13, at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester.  He was put to death by lethal injection for the murder of his common-law wife in 2003 at their Oklahoma City home. He admitted to police he shot her twice during an argument.  Cuesta-Rodriguez, 70, did not fight for his life, stunning his attorneys in July when he told the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board that he didn't want clemency. "It's time for me to pay for what I did," he said. 

Tennessee set to execute Anthony Darrell Hines

Barring any last-minute interventions, the Tennessee Department of Correction will execute Anthony Darrell Hines by lethal injection at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville Thursday morning. This week, two courts had the opportunity to halt the execution: the federal court in Middle Tennessee and the U.S. Supreme Court. Gov. Bill Lee announced Tuesday he personally would not prevent the execution. “After deliberate consideration of Anthony Darrell Hines’ request for clemency, and after a thorough review of the case, I am upholding the sentence of the State of Tennessee and do not plan to intervene,” he said in a written statement. The U.S. Supreme Court has not granted a stay or reprieve.

Tennessee | The doctor who helps put prisoners to death

Dr. Mark Fowler assisted in the failed execution of a Tennessee prisoner. Physicians are meant to heal patients—why is he working in the death chamber? Mark Fowler, a physician with 25 years’ experience, stepped beneath the bright lights and approached the middle-aged man lying on a gurney. Around him, people in medical gowns prepared needles and sterile tubing. It had all the appearances of a hospital setting. Fowler had been called in to help establish an IV line through which the 57-year-old man, Tony Carruthers, would be injected with pharmaceutical drugs. The team had struggled to find a vein, so Fowler was summoned to set a central line—an intravenous catheter inserted into the major vein below the collarbone.

Alabama Set To Carry Out Execution This Week

Alabama is preparing to execute Jeremy Williams, who pled guilty to the 2021 rape and murder of five-year-old Kamarie Holland.  The execution is scheduled for Thursday (August 13) at the Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, Alabama.  Williams, who is 41, requested the death penalty and waived his right to appeal, making this the first execution in Alabama this year.

Israel builds execution chamber for Palestinians convicted of murder

In March, the Knesset approved legislation that calls for the execution of Palestinians convicted by a military court of killing Israelis Israeli authorities are preparing a prison wing—replete with an execution chamber—designated specifically for Palestinian prisoners convicted of murder, Israel’s i24NEWS channel reported Tuesday. The move comes after the Knesset (Israel’s parliament) approved legislation in March that calls for the execution of Palestinian prisoners convicted by a military court of murdering Israelis.

The 'Black Widow' shakes Iran: 10 death sentences for a serial killer who killed 12 men

Kolthum Akbari, an Iranian woman widely dubbed the “Black Widow,” was convicted of serial murders of elderly men she married, often temporarily. Official accounts generally center on 11 murders (plus one attempted murder), though Akbari herself gave varying figures and investigations suggested she had many more marriages.  The sentencing occurred primarily in September 2025 in Mazandaran Province, with ongoing reporting and updates into 2026. The 56- to 59-year-old killer confessed to killing at least 11 elderly men after temporarily or officially marrying them; Iranian authorities have linked her to additional marriages and possible further victims.

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine issues three death penalty reprieves

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) – Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine issued execution reprieves for three death row inmates on Friday. In a statement, DeWine said he issued reprieves for Keith LaMar, Scott Group, and Davel Chinn, all of whom were set to be executed early next year. LaMar was scheduled to be executed on Jan. 13, 2027. He was convicted of aggravated murder for the deaths of five inmates during a 1993 riot at the Southern Ohio Correctional Institution in Lucasville. He received the death penalty for four of the killings. His new execution date is Jan. 13, 2030. Watch the latest NBC4 headlines in the video player above.

Arizona prosecutors seek death penalty a second time for 2 inmates

County Attorney Brad Miller said Aug. 6 that the nature of the attack and both men's past criminal records meet the strict legal bar required for execution under Arizona law. FLORENCE, Ariz. - Pinal County prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against two inmates accused of violently killing a fellow prisoner behind bars, officials announced Thursday. Pinal County Attorney Brad Miller filed a Notice of Intent to Seek the Death Penalty against Pete Van Winkle and Tracy Hampton in connection with the fatal attack on Kenneth Thompson.