Skip to main content

State denies compensation to wrongfully convicted former Texas death row prisoner Alfred Dewayne Brown

Alfred Dewayne Brown
Even after a special prosecutor and a judge sided with Alfred Dewayne Brown in his quest for “actual innocence,” the state comptroller this week in a surprise move denied the wrongfully convicted former death row prisoner compensation for the 12 years he spent behind bars.

The decision comes almost two months after Harris County District Court Judge George Powell signed an amended judgment, formally declaring Brown innocent almost four years after he was freed. The first time he tried to get money for his time in prison, the state rejected the request because prosecutors had only agreed to toss the case, but had not officially declared him innocent.

Earlier this year, after a 10-month investigation by special prosecutor John Raley found no credible indications of Brown’s guilt, Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg took the case back to court to ask for an amended judgment including the words “actual innocence.”

The judge pondered the matter for weeks, wrangling with the question of whether his court had jurisdiction to reopen an already-closed case. In the end, he decided he did — but now the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts has determined otherwise.

“We are disappointed,” said attorney Neal Manne, who represented Brown in his efforts to get state compensation. “But we are not discouraged and we will continue with the process that is set out by law.”

That means going back to the comptroller for reconsideration, then waiting another 45 days for a decision. If the state won’t budge, then Brown and his attorneys can file a motion with the Texas Supreme Court.

To Raley, a longtime civil attorney who is best-known for his work freeing a wrongfully convicted Texas man named Michael Morton, the comptroller’s decision smacked of politics.

“As confirmed by DA Ogg and Judge Powell, Alfred Dewayne Brown is actually innocent,” Raley said in a statement. “In this case, like other cases, an amended judgment following an investigation is valid. The Comptroller’s duty as a public servant is to follow the law regardless of politics.”

Previously, the comptroller’s office indicated in a statement to the Houston Chronicle that the amended judgment would likely meet the requirements for Brown to get his money, which would total nearly $2 million, according to statute.

“Provided the new application meets the qualifications and pending review from our office, yes, Mr. Brown would qualify for compensation,” comptroller spokesman Chris Bryan said last month. “He just needs to send us the paperwork.”

The two-page letter, a copy of which was obtained by the Chronicle, sent Monday from Leonard Higgins in the Comptroller’s Judiciary Section doesn’t offer much insight as to what prompted the change of heart.

“It is not clear that the district court had jurisdiction to withdraw and reenter a dismissal, or enter a second dismissal in Mr. Brown’s case,” the letter notes. “Consequently, the amended motion to dismiss and the order of dismissal do not clearly indicate on their face that Mr. Brown is entitled to compensation.”

To Houston police, the comptroller's decision was a welcome outcome; the chief and union officials have repeatedly questioned Raley's findings in the case, including the issue of whether the judge had jurisdiction to amend the judgment.

"It's still our position that the standard for innocence to be declared is that 'no credible evidence exists' that Mr. Brown was involved in the murder," Chief Art Acevedo said late Tuesday. "We strongly believe that a review of all the facts and evidence in this case by a grand jury or a judge would establish that credible evidence does, in fact, exist."

Evidence uncovered


The now-37-year-old was sent to death row in 2005 after being convicted in the killing of Houston police Officer Charles Clark during a botched robbery of an Ace America Check Cashing in south Houston. During the trial, prosecutors said Brown had shot the officer while his co-defendant Elijah Joubert had killed store clerk Alfredia Jones. Both men were sent to death row, while a third co-defendant — Dashan Glaspie — got a 30-year sentence in exchange for his testimony.

But Brown always said he was innocent, that he’d been at his girlfriend’s apartment just after the slaying, and that a landline phone call he’d made to her that morning would prove it.

For years, officials claimed they had no records of that call. Then in 2013, police investigator Breck McDaniel uncovered the phone records in his garage — a discovery that paved the way for Brown’s release. But Brown wasn’t eligible for state compensation because even though then-District Attorney Devon Anderson agreed to dismiss the charges, she never said he was innocent. After the state denied his first request for money, Brown filed a lawsuit against the county, the city and some of the individuals involved in the case.

In the meantime, prosecutors maintained that the evidence in McDaniel’s garage had been inadvertently misplaced and not intentionally concealed. But in early 2018 — in the course of discovery for the lawsuit — Ogg’s office recovered a 2003 email showing that McDaniel had told former prosecutor Dan Rizzo about the phone records well before the case went to trial.

After publicly releasing the email, Ogg’s office filed a grievance against Rizzo — by then long-retired — and appointed Raley to review the entire case. The Houston-based attorney issued a 179-page report this year clearing Brown and weeks later went on to file a grievance against Rizzo.

That complaint is still in front of the State Bar of Texas, leaving yet another loose end in the 16-year-old case. His attorney declined to comment Tuesday, as the comptroller's decision doesn't relate to Rizzo's involvement in the matter.

As for Brown, he's still living a quiet life in Louisiana.

"Dewayne remains deeply grateful to Special Prosecutor Raley, DA Ogg, and Judge Powell, all of whom have confirmed his actual innocence," Manne said. "He is hopeful that he eventually will receive justice from the State Comptroller, too."

Source: houstonchronicle.com, Keri Blakinger, June 25, 2019


⚑ | Report an error, an omission, a typo; suggest a story or a new angle to an existing story; submit a piece, a comment; recommend a resource; contact the webmaster, contact us: deathpenaltynews@gmail.com.


Opposed to Capital Punishment? Help us keep this blog up and running! DONATE!



"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted." -- Oscar Wilde

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

'No Warning': The Death Penalty In Japan

Stakes for wrongful convictions are high in Japan, where the death penalty has broad public support despite criticism over how it is carried out. Tokyo: Capital punishment in Japan is under scrutiny again after the world's longest-serving death row prisoner, Iwao Hakamada, was awarded $1.4 million in compensation this week following his acquittal last year in a retrial. Stakes for wrongful convictions are high in Japan, where the death penalty has broad public support despite international criticism over how it is carried out.

Execution date set for prisoner transferred to Oklahoma to face death penalty

An inmate who was transferred to Oklahoma last month to face the death penalty now has an execution date. George John Hanson, also known as John Fitzgerald Hanson, is scheduled to die on June 12 for the 1999 murder of 77-year-old Mary Bowles.  The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals on Tuesday set the execution date. The state’s Pardon and Parole Board has a tentative date of May 7 for Hanson’s clemency hearing, executive director Tom Bates said.

USA | Federal death penalty possible for Mexican cartel boss behind 1985 DEA agent killing

Rafael Caro Quintero, extradited from Mexico in 2022, appeared in Brooklyn court as feds weigh capital charges for the torture and murder of Agent Enrique Camarena NEW YORK — The death penalty is on the table for notorious drug lord Rafael Caro Quintero, the so-called “narco of narcos” who orchestrated the torture and murder of a DEA agent in 1985, according to federal prosecutors. “It is a possibility. The decision has not yet been made, but it is going through the process,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Saritha Komatireddy said in Brooklyn Federal Court Wednesday.

Inside Florida's Death Row: A dark cloud over the Sunshine State

Florida's death penalty system has faced numerous criticisms and controversies over the years - from execution methods to the treatment of Death Row inmates The Sunshine State remains steadfast in its enforcement of capital punishment, upholding a complex system that has developed since its reinstatement in 1976. Florida's contemporary death penalty era kicked off in 1972 following the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in Furman v. Georgia , which temporarily put a stop to executions across the country. Swiftly amending its laws, Florida saw the Supreme Court affirm the constitutionality of the death penalty in 1976's Gregg v. Georgia case.

Louisiana's First Nitrogen Execution Reflects Broader Method Shift

Facing imminent execution by lethal gas earlier this week, Jessie Hoffman Jr. — a Louisiana man convicted of abducting, raping and murdering a 28-year-old woman in 1996 — went to court with a request: Please allow me to be shot instead. In a petition filed with the U.S. Supreme Court on March 16 seeking a stay of his execution by nitrogen hypoxia, a protocol that had yet to be tested in the state, Hoffman requested execution by firing squad as an alternative.

A second South Carolina death row inmate chooses execution by firing squad

Columbia, S.C. — A South Carolina death row inmate on Friday chose execution by firing squad, just five weeks after the state carried out its first death by bullets. Mikal Mahdi, who pleaded guilty to murder for killing a police officer in 2004, is scheduled to be executed April 11. Mahdi, 41, had the choice of dying by firing squad, lethal injection or the electric chair. He will be the first inmate to be executed in the state since Brad Sigmon chose to be shot to death on March 7. A doctor pronounced Sigmon dead less than three minutes after three bullets tore into his heart.

Bangladesh | Botswana Woman Executed for Drug Trafficking

Dhaka, Bangladesh – Lesedi Molapisi, a Botswana national convicted of drug trafficking, was executed in Bangladesh on Friday, 21 March 2025. The 31-year-old was hanged at Dhaka Central Jail after exhausting all legal avenues to appeal her death sentence. Molapisi was arrested in January 2023 upon arrival at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport in Dhaka, where customs officials discovered 3.1 kilograms of heroin hidden in her luggage. Following a trial under Bangladesh’s Narcotics Control Act, she was sentenced to death in May 2024. Her execution was initially delayed due to political unrest in the country but was carried out last week.

564 People On Death Row In India, Highest Since The Turn Of The Century

In 90% of of all death penalty sentences in 2024, trial courts imposed sentences in the absence of adequate information about the accused, finds a recent report Bengaluru: Following the uproar and the widespread protests after the August 2024 rape and murder of a medical professional in Kolkata’s RG Kar hospital, there were demands for death penalty for the accused. The state government passed the Aparajita Woman and Child (West Bengal Criminal Laws Amendment) Bill 2024 (awaiting presidential assent) which included mandatory death sentence for rape which results in death of the victim or if the victim is left in a vegetative state, despite such a mandatory sentence being unconstitutional.

South Carolina | Spiritual adviser of condemned inmate: 'We're more than the worst thing we've done'

(RNS) — When 67-year-old Brad Sigmon was put to death on March 7 in South Carolina for the murder of his then-girlfriend's parents, it was the first time in 15 years that an execution in the United States had been carried out by a firing squad. United Methodist minister Hillary Taylor, Sigmon's spiritual adviser since 2020, said the multifaceted, months long effort to save Sigmon's life, and to provide emotional and spiritual support for his legal team, and the aftermath of his execution has been a "whirlwind" said Taylor, the director of South Carolinians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty.

Arizona | The cruelty of isolation: There’s nothing ‘humane’ about how we treat the condemned

On March 19, I served as a witness to the execution of a man named Aaron Gunches, Arizona’s first since 2022. During his time on death row, he begged for death and was ultimately granted what is likely more appropriately described as an emotionless state-assisted suicide. This experience has profoundly impacted me, leading to deep reflection on the nature of death, humanity, and the role we play in our final moments. When someone is in the end stages of life, we talk about hospice care, comfort, care, easing suffering and humane death. We strive for a “good death” — a peaceful transition. I’ve seen good ones, and I’ve seen bad, unplanned ones.