Skip to main content

California: Jury recommends death penalty for serial killer

Andrew Urdiales
A jury in Orange County, California, recommended the death penalty for convicted serial killer Andrew Urdiales on Wednesday, according to multiple reports. 

The 53-year-old was convicted in late May of killing five women in Southern California from 1986 to 1995. Urdiales was already serving a life sentence for three killings in Illinois when he was connected to the murders in California. 

In the late 1990s, it was Urdiales himself who told Chicago prosecutors they should ask him about killings in California, prosecutors said, according to KNBC. He was brought to California in 2011 to be tried for the murders. 

The defense argued that Urdiales, a former Marine, had a troubled life and showed signs of brain damage, potentially from fetal alcohol syndrome. But, according to KNBC, Senior Deputy District Attorney Matt Murphy argued the gruesome murders and the victims outweighed any such concerns—specifically referencing the horrific experience of a woman who managed to escape Urdiales. 

"She went to hell for the entertainment," Murphy said, according to KNBC. "This is his hobby. He's doing this for fun."

The father of Urdiales's first victim, Robbin Brandley, described in May—when Urdiales was convicted—the feeling of seeing his daughter's killer in a courtroom.

"When they showed the picture of Robbin laying by her car, and then they showed the picture of Robbin's face with the eyes open, and then there's the other picture where her dress was pulled up with a bloody hand," Jack Reilley told KTLA. "I've never hated anybody before, ever in my life, but boy, sitting there looking at him I felt pure hate."

Urdiales had a grisly modus operandi of driving women to secluded areas and sexually assaulting them before killing them. He had previously been sentenced to death for the murders in Illinois, but his sentence was lessened to life in prison after the state abolished the death penalty.

Charles Erwin, the father of victim Tammie Erwin, advocated for the death penalty at the time of Urdiales's conviction in California. 

"Because of the nature of his crime—the way he did the girls like they were just trash, just throw them away—I think he deserves it," he told KTLA. 

Source: Newsweek, Tim Marcin, June 13, 2018


Orange County jury recommends death penalty for man who killed 5 women


SANTA ANA – A jury on Tuesday recommended the death penalty for Andrew Urdiales, an eight-time killer recently convicted of murdering five women in Orange, Riverside and San Diego counties.

As each death-penalty verdict for the five Southern California victims was read Wednesday morning, Urdiales, now 53, watched a court clerk impassively; at times dropping his gaze to jot something down. Jurors deliberated for several hours before reaching their decisions.

Family members, some who had waited more than 30 years for the trial of their loved one’s killer, embraced and wiped away tears as they sat in the packed gallery of the Santa Ana courtroom. A juror dabbed her eyes with tissue and sniffed quietly.

“It was a long haul, but we got justice today,” said Charles Erwin, whose daughter Tammie was killed by Urdiales in Riverside County. “He is never going to hurt anyone again, and that is what we wanted.”

Jennifer Asbenson, the only woman to escape Urdiales, in 1992, said she had fantasized about his getting the death penalty while he was attempting to choke her to death after kidnapping and sexually assaulting her in a remote Riverside County desert (While the Southern California News Group does not normally identify victims of sexual assault, Asbenson has spoken extensively about her experience in public forums).

“If they chose life without parole, I would have felt someone had sympathy for him, and he would get sense of hope,” Asbenson said of jurors just outside the courtroom. “And he doesn’t deserve hope.”

Urdiales, shortly after his 1997 arrest, confessed to killing one woman in Orange County while stationed as a U.S. Marine at Camp Pendleton; four women in Riverside and San Diego counties while stationed at Twentynine Palms; and three women in Chicago while working as a security guard after leaving the military.

During closing arguments in Urdiales’ Orange County trial, Deputy District Attorney Matt Murphy described him as a “misogynistic, sadistic monster.”

After the verdict, Murphy said Urdiales “genuinely deserves to die for what he has done. …

“He obviously didn’t have remorse, otherwise he wouldn’t have done it over and over again,” the prosecutor said. “He did it because he liked it.”

Attorney Denise Gragg, who represented Urdiales, countered during closing arguments that her client was born with brain damage and suffered a childhood marked by emotional, physical, sexual and psychological abuse. She noted that law enforcement likely wouldn’t have tied Urdiales to the Southern California murders had he not confessed to them after his Chicago arrest.

Last month, the Santa Ana jury found Urdiales guilty of killing Robbin Brandley in 1986 in a Saddleback College parking lot in Mission Viejo, and of the murders over the subsequent seven years of Julie McGhee, Tammie Erwin and Denise Maney in Riverside County, and Mary Ann Wells in San Diego.

A Chicago jury previously convicted Urdiales of killing Laura Uylaki, Cassandra Corum and Lynn Huberand. He had been given the death penalty there for the three deaths, but two of those sentences were commuted to life in prison by the then-governor, who did the same to other inmates as well. The third sentence was commuted when Illinois abandoned the death penalty.

Orange County Superior Court Judge Gregg L. Prickett will make the final decision as to whether Urdiales will be sent to Death Row. The sentencing hearing is set for Aug. 31.

Jack Reilley, Brandley’s father, said the lengthy wait to trial – more than 30 years since Brandley’s murder, and 20 years since Urdiales’ confession – was difficult for the family. Reilley became active in the victims’ rights movement after his daughter’s death.

“To me, he is like a mad dog,” Reilley said of Urdiales. “He just needs to be put down.”

Other family members described the verdict as a weight taken off of their chests.

“I felt like for the first time in 30 years that my mother’s life mattered,” said Steve Wells, who was 13 when his mother, Mary Ann Wells, was killed. “It was a good feeling.”

Source: The OCR, Sean Emery, June 13, 2017


⚑ | Report an error, an omission, a typo; suggest a story or a new angle to an existing story; submit a piece, a comment; recommend a resource; contact the webmaster, contact us: deathpenaltynews@gmail.com.


Opposed to Capital Punishment? Help us keep this blog up and running! DONATE!



"One is absolutely sickened, not by the crimes that the wicked have committed,
but by the punishments that the good have inflicted." -- Oscar Wilde

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

'No Warning': The Death Penalty In Japan

Stakes for wrongful convictions are high in Japan, where the death penalty has broad public support despite criticism over how it is carried out. Tokyo: Capital punishment in Japan is under scrutiny again after the world's longest-serving death row prisoner, Iwao Hakamada, was awarded $1.4 million in compensation this week following his acquittal last year in a retrial. Stakes for wrongful convictions are high in Japan, where the death penalty has broad public support despite international criticism over how it is carried out.

A second South Carolina death row inmate chooses execution by firing squad

Columbia, S.C. — A South Carolina death row inmate on Friday chose execution by firing squad, just five weeks after the state carried out its first death by bullets. Mikal Mahdi, who pleaded guilty to murder for killing a police officer in 2004, is scheduled to be executed April 11. Mahdi, 41, had the choice of dying by firing squad, lethal injection or the electric chair. He will be the first inmate to be executed in the state since Brad Sigmon chose to be shot to death on March 7. A doctor pronounced Sigmon dead less than three minutes after three bullets tore into his heart.

Louisiana's First Nitrogen Execution Reflects Broader Method Shift

Facing imminent execution by lethal gas earlier this week, Jessie Hoffman Jr. — a Louisiana man convicted of abducting, raping and murdering a 28-year-old woman in 1996 — went to court with a request: Please allow me to be shot instead. In a petition filed with the U.S. Supreme Court on March 16 seeking a stay of his execution by nitrogen hypoxia, a protocol that had yet to be tested in the state, Hoffman requested execution by firing squad as an alternative.

South Carolina | Spiritual adviser of condemned inmate: 'We're more than the worst thing we've done'

(RNS) — When 67-year-old Brad Sigmon was put to death on March 7 in South Carolina for the murder of his then-girlfriend's parents, it was the first time in 15 years that an execution in the United States had been carried out by a firing squad. United Methodist minister Hillary Taylor, Sigmon's spiritual adviser since 2020, said the multifaceted, months long effort to save Sigmon's life, and to provide emotional and spiritual support for his legal team, and the aftermath of his execution has been a "whirlwind" said Taylor, the director of South Carolinians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty.

USA | Federal death penalty possible for Mexican cartel boss behind 1985 DEA agent killing

Rafael Caro Quintero, extradited from Mexico in 2022, appeared in Brooklyn court as feds weigh capital charges for the torture and murder of Agent Enrique Camarena NEW YORK — The death penalty is on the table for notorious drug lord Rafael Caro Quintero, the so-called “narco of narcos” who orchestrated the torture and murder of a DEA agent in 1985, according to federal prosecutors. “It is a possibility. The decision has not yet been made, but it is going through the process,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Saritha Komatireddy said in Brooklyn Federal Court Wednesday.

Inside Florida's Death Row: A dark cloud over the Sunshine State

Florida's death penalty system has faced numerous criticisms and controversies over the years - from execution methods to the treatment of Death Row inmates The Sunshine State remains steadfast in its enforcement of capital punishment, upholding a complex system that has developed since its reinstatement in 1976. Florida's contemporary death penalty era kicked off in 1972 following the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in Furman v. Georgia , which temporarily put a stop to executions across the country. Swiftly amending its laws, Florida saw the Supreme Court affirm the constitutionality of the death penalty in 1976's Gregg v. Georgia case.

Execution date set for prisoner transferred to Oklahoma to face death penalty

An inmate who was transferred to Oklahoma last month to face the death penalty now has an execution date. George John Hanson, also known as John Fitzgerald Hanson, is scheduled to die on June 12 for the 1999 murder of 77-year-old Mary Bowles.  The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals on Tuesday set the execution date. The state’s Pardon and Parole Board has a tentative date of May 7 for Hanson’s clemency hearing, executive director Tom Bates said.

Bangladesh | Botswana Woman Executed for Drug Trafficking

Dhaka, Bangladesh – Lesedi Molapisi, a Botswana national convicted of drug trafficking, was executed in Bangladesh on Friday, 21 March 2025. The 31-year-old was hanged at Dhaka Central Jail after exhausting all legal avenues to appeal her death sentence. Molapisi was arrested in January 2023 upon arrival at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport in Dhaka, where customs officials discovered 3.1 kilograms of heroin hidden in her luggage. Following a trial under Bangladesh’s Narcotics Control Act, she was sentenced to death in May 2024. Her execution was initially delayed due to political unrest in the country but was carried out last week.

Oklahoma executes Wendell Grissom

Grissom used some of his last words on Earth to apologize to everyone he hurt and said that he prays they can find forgiveness for their own sake. As for his execution, he said it was a mercy. Oklahoma executed Wendell Arden Grissom on Thursday for the murder of 23-year-old Amber Matthews in front of her best friend’s two young daughters in 2005.  Grissom, 56, was executed by lethal injection at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester and pronounced dead at 10:13 a.m. local time, becoming the first inmate to be put to death by the state in 2025 and the ninth in the United States this year. 

564 People On Death Row In India, Highest Since The Turn Of The Century

In 90% of of all death penalty sentences in 2024, trial courts imposed sentences in the absence of adequate information about the accused, finds a recent report Bengaluru: Following the uproar and the widespread protests after the August 2024 rape and murder of a medical professional in Kolkata’s RG Kar hospital, there were demands for death penalty for the accused. The state government passed the Aparajita Woman and Child (West Bengal Criminal Laws Amendment) Bill 2024 (awaiting presidential assent) which included mandatory death sentence for rape which results in death of the victim or if the victim is left in a vegetative state, despite such a mandatory sentence being unconstitutional.