Skip to main content

China: Sydney man Peter Gardner to face Guangzhou court over drug charges

Kalynda Davis, Peter Gardner
Hours before the Bali 9 duo were shot dead, another young Australian man came a step closer to facing execution overseas.

Sydney man Peter Gardner, 25, has had his death penalty case in a Chinese courtroom brought forward by almost 6 months and will go on trial in the southern metropolis of Guangzhou next Thursday, May 7, for allegedly attempting to export 30kg of methamphetamine, or ice.

Gardner's lawyer, New Zealand barrister Craig Tuck, said the reasons for the fast-tracked trial were unknown.

China executes thousands of people every year according to Amnesty International, and has killed at least a dozen foreign nationals in the past 15 years.

The opaque Chinese legal system operates on 3 levels: police, prosecutors and courts - all come under the control of the nation's ruling Communist Party. Once cases are passed to the courts, conviction rates are 99 % and Gardner's lawyers have previously said his fate all but certain.

Gardner is a dual New Zealand and Australian citizen. His father and 2 sisters live in Sydney while his mother is in New Zealand. They have declined to comment.

Gardner was with Australian woman Kalynda Davis - whom he met weeks earlier through an online dating site - when they were detained by customs officials in Guangzhou on November 8 after a 3-day visit. 2 bags being checked in by the couple were allegedly found to have 60kg of ice inside with their zips glued shut.

In a development that stunned China watchers, Davis was released after 4 weeks of negotiations between her China based lawyers and Chinese authorities with her long blonde hair roughly cropped after her lawyers argued she had no knowledge of the cargo.

"I knew she was so innocent. I prayed every night that the truth would come out, I prayed for the authorities, that it was dealt with in the way that it was dealt with, and our prayers were answered," her father Larry David said upon her release.

It is understood that Gardner's case was passed from the police to prosecutors several months ago but his lawyer said earlier this month that he did not expect the case to go to trial for 6 months. However on Tuesday night he said the trial date had moved to May 7.

"This is considerably earlier than expected. The trial will take place in Guangzhou Municipal Intermediate Court and is expected to last no more than two days,' he said in a statement.

"The Gardner family have requested privacy at this time and will not be making any comments to the media."

Since his detention, Gardner has been in a crowded Guangzhou detention centre with no heating or airconditioning. He has been sharing a room with up to 14 other people, according to sources.

Gardner is permitted one visit a month from a New Zealand embassy official, having travelled to China on his New Zealand passport.

Gardner is alleged to have been carrying 60 vacuum-packed plastic bags in 2 cases with the zips glued shut.

Chinese lawyers who spoke to News Corp Australia at the time of his detention said that his fate was all but certain. Under Chinese law anyone caught smuggling more than 50g of meth or heroin faces death by firing squad or lethal injection. Gardner has been charged in the very highest level of drug exportation, his lawyer said.

If he is found guilty and sentenced to death he automatically has the right to 2 appeals - to China's High People's Court and the Supreme Court Guangzhou, so it may be months after the trial before his fate will be decided. China's 3rd largest and most important city with a population of about 14 million people, once known in the west as Canton, is 100 kilometres up the Pearl River from Hong Kong.

It has a long history of criminal gangs and has been notorious for its drug trade since the Opium Wars Gangs manufactured huge quantities of methamphetamine and other synthetic drugs such as ecstasy and ketamine. It is also a major importing centre for cocaine.

Under the two-and-a-half-year-old regime of Chinese President Xi Jinxing, authorities have launched a major anti-drugs campaign and several gangs in Guangzhou have been reported in the Chinese media.

Guangzhou has also gained a reputation in Australia in recent years for rough justice. 2 Australian businesspeople, travel business operator Matthew Ng and tertiary institution founder Charlotte Chou, both received hefty sentences on the back of business disputes that involved

Communist Party official and business people with close party connections.

Chou was finally released after 6 years in December last year and in March, Ng became the 1st person to be transferred to Australia to complete his sentence under a deal signed in 2010.

Source: news.com.au, April 29, 2015

Report an error, an omission: deathpenaltynews@gmail.com

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Alabama Set To Carry Out Execution This Week

Alabama is preparing to execute Jeremy Williams, who pled guilty to the 2021 rape and murder of five-year-old Kamarie Holland.  The execution is scheduled for Thursday (August 13) at the Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, Alabama.  Williams, who is 41, requested the death penalty and waived his right to appeal, making this the first execution in Alabama this year.

Alabama executes Jeremy Williams

Tennessee and Oklahoma have put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men in one day. Tennessee and Oklahoma put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other Thursday, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men by lethal injection in one day for the first time since 2010. The Tennessee man was executed for killing a maid at a motel in 1985, and the Oklahoma man for killing his girlfriend in 2003. In Alabama, a man was put to death Thursday evening for killing a 5-year-old girl he had paid her mother to abuse.

Tennessee | The doctor who helps put prisoners to death

Dr. Mark Fowler assisted in the failed execution of a Tennessee prisoner. Physicians are meant to heal patients—why is he working in the death chamber? Mark Fowler, a physician with 25 years’ experience, stepped beneath the bright lights and approached the middle-aged man lying on a gurney. Around him, people in medical gowns prepared needles and sterile tubing. It had all the appearances of a hospital setting. Fowler had been called in to help establish an IV line through which the 57-year-old man, Tony Carruthers, would be injected with pharmaceutical drugs. The team had struggled to find a vein, so Fowler was summoned to set a central line—an intravenous catheter inserted into the major vein below the collarbone.

Tennessee executes Darrell Hines

The state has spent millions of dollars over decades to execute a seriously ill man who was already incarcerated. The state of Tennessee executed death row inmate Darrell Hines Thursday morning, according to an advocacy group.  No formal announcement of the execution has been issued by state leaders yet. The execution was slated for 10 a.m. Thursday at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville. [DPN update] Hines was pronounced dead at 10:43 a.m. CDT. His last meal was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, corn, fries, biscuits, a chicken sandwich, chocolate chip cake, and sweet tea.

The 'Black Widow' shakes Iran: 10 death sentences for a serial killer who killed 12 men

Kolthum Akbari, an Iranian woman widely dubbed the “Black Widow,” was convicted of serial murders of elderly men she married, often temporarily. Official accounts generally center on 11 murders (plus one attempted murder), though Akbari herself gave varying figures and investigations suggested she had many more marriages.  The sentencing occurred primarily in September 2025 in Mazandaran Province, with ongoing reporting and updates into 2026. The 56- to 59-year-old killer confessed to killing at least 11 elderly men after temporarily or officially marrying them; Iranian authorities have linked her to additional marriages and possible further victims.

Oklahoma executes Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez

Oklahoma has carried out 1 of 3 executions set for the same day in the United States in another sign of the resurgence of the death penalty in the country.  Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez was pronounced dead at 10:13 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 13, at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester.  He was put to death by lethal injection for the murder of his common-law wife in 2003 at their Oklahoma City home. He admitted to police he shot her twice during an argument.  Cuesta-Rodriguez, 70, did not fight for his life, stunning his attorneys in July when he told the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board that he didn't want clemency. "It's time for me to pay for what I did," he said. 

Tennessee set to execute Anthony Darrell Hines

Barring any last-minute interventions, the Tennessee Department of Correction will execute Anthony Darrell Hines by lethal injection at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville Thursday morning. This week, two courts had the opportunity to halt the execution: the federal court in Middle Tennessee and the U.S. Supreme Court. Gov. Bill Lee announced Tuesday he personally would not prevent the execution. “After deliberate consideration of Anthony Darrell Hines’ request for clemency, and after a thorough review of the case, I am upholding the sentence of the State of Tennessee and do not plan to intervene,” he said in a written statement. The U.S. Supreme Court has not granted a stay or reprieve.

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine issues three death penalty reprieves

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) – Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine issued execution reprieves for three death row inmates on Friday. In a statement, DeWine said he issued reprieves for Keith LaMar, Scott Group, and Davel Chinn, all of whom were set to be executed early next year. LaMar was scheduled to be executed on Jan. 13, 2027. He was convicted of aggravated murder for the deaths of five inmates during a 1993 riot at the Southern Ohio Correctional Institution in Lucasville. He received the death penalty for four of the killings. His new execution date is Jan. 13, 2030. Watch the latest NBC4 headlines in the video player above.

Arizona prosecutors seek death penalty a second time for 2 inmates

County Attorney Brad Miller said Aug. 6 that the nature of the attack and both men's past criminal records meet the strict legal bar required for execution under Arizona law. FLORENCE, Ariz. - Pinal County prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against two inmates accused of violently killing a fellow prisoner behind bars, officials announced Thursday. Pinal County Attorney Brad Miller filed a Notice of Intent to Seek the Death Penalty against Pete Van Winkle and Tracy Hampton in connection with the fatal attack on Kenneth Thompson. 

Iran’s War on Women: Executions, Floggings, and the Politics of Fear

The Iranian regime is increasingly using death sentences, corporal punishment, and judicial persecution against women—not only to silence dissent but also to intimidate a society demanding change. The Iranian regime has long viewed women as central to the country’s struggle for freedom—and therefore as central targets of repression. The nationwide uprising of 2022 fundamentally altered the political landscape, demonstrating that Iranian women were no longer merely participants in protest movements but among their principal organizers and symbols. Since then, the authorities have steadily intensified their campaign against women, expanding the use of executions, imprisonment, corporal punishment, and judicial intimidation.