Skip to main content

Lindsay Sandiford to go to court over UK government refusal to fund her Bali death sentence appeal

Lawyers for British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford will go to the Court of Appeal in London over a UK government refusal to fund her appeal against a death sentence for drug smuggling imposed by an Indonesian court.

The case will go before the UK appeal court on Monday.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) said it would not pay for "an adequate lawyer" to represent Sandiford, 56, from Cheltenham.

She was sentenced to death by firing squad by a court in Bali for taking STG1.6 million ($A2.39 million) of cocaine on to the island.

Earlier this month Sandiford lost the first appeal to the Bali High Court but is expected to take her case to Indonesia's Supreme Court.

At the end of January, UK High Court judges upheld the government refusal to fund her, despite pleas that she was urgently in need of money and her family had exhausted all their available resources.

Mrs Justice Gloster, sitting with Mrs Justice Nicola Davies, said the court understood "the deep concerns of Mrs Sandiford and her family about Mrs Sandiford's predicament" but her case must be dismissed.

Sandiford received the death sentence, despite prosecutors asking only for a 15-year jail term, after being accused of damaging the image of Bali.

The British government said it was disappointed when she lost her bid to block the sentence.

The FCO reiterated the UK's opposition to the death penalty and said it had repeatedly made representations to the Indonesian government about the case.

Balinese police said Sandiford was at the centre of a drugs-importing ring involving three other Britons, but she said she was forced to transport the drugs to protect her children whose safety was at stake.

In the UK High Court, her QC Aidan O'Neill said the refusal to offer her funding breached her "fundamental rights".

Martin Chamberlain, appearing for the FCO, argued it was neither unfair nor irrational for the Foreign Secretary to refuse.

He said said it would be difficult to set up a funding scheme for citizens in trouble overseas and limit it to death sentence cases.

There would be pressure to extend such a scheme to other human rights cases where sentences offended "human dignity", such as cases where British nationals might be sentenced to 30 lashes because they are gay in some countries, or a woman might be sentenced for driving a car.

The Foreign Secretary was entitled to conclude such a move would not be "wise or sensible", he said.

Reprieve investigator Zoe Bedford said: "Lindsay long ago ran out of money for paying her legal fees.

"She now potentially faces the firing squad simply because she has no money to hire a lawyer for her appeal.

"Never has there been a clearer example of how the death penalty falls predominantly on those who do not have the funds to defend themselves.

"The FCO should step in to ensure she gets the legal support to which she is entitled - given it would cost them a fraction of what they spend on wine each year, it is hard to see why they are fighting against this in the courts."

Source: AAP, April 21, 2013


Death row grandmother running out of time as UK Government refuses to fund lawyer

Lindsay Sandiford, a British grandmother facing execution in Bali, has told how she is "desperate" after running out of money to pay a lawyer for her appeal in just over two weeks.

Ms Sandiford was sentenced to death on drug charges by a Bali court on 22 January this year. Earlier this month, she lost her appeal to the high court, meaning that the Indonesian Supreme Court is now the final court standing between her and the firing squad.

She exhausted her finances paying for legal representation before her last appeal, and has since been relying on public donations to a fundraising website - and the auction of a jumper she is knitting - as the UK Foreign Office (FCO) has refused to step in to help. Ms Sandiford needs around £8000 - money she does not have - in order to fund her Supreme Court appeal.

In an open letter published by human rights charity Reprieve today, she says:

"I have been told the government’s position when it comes to British citizens in my position, facing execution in a foreign country: that I or my supporters must raise the funds for my defence, and that the longer I am on death row the more time I have in which to do this," adding that, "I am unspeakably grateful...to the man who does not know me, but has set up a JustGiving.com site for me and raised over £2,500 towards the costs of my appeal. And I have been touched and humbled by the kindness of so many members of the British public, who have reached into their own pockets in difficult times to help me pay for a lawyer, when the government wouldn’t help me."

Tomorrow (Monday 22 April) Ms Sandiford's lawyers will go to the English Court of Appeal to appeal against the FCO's decision not to help fund her lawyer.

The text of Ms Sandiford's letter is as follows:

"I am sitting in my death row cell here in Bali. Yes, I feel depressed. Yes, I know I have been stupid. Yes, I want to say sorry for what I have done – sorry to the British people for the shame I have caused and – more than anything – sorry to the people of Indonesia. And yes, I am totally humiliated.

"But I don’t want to beg. I’ll accept help, because I’m desperate and I don’t know where to turn. I am unspeakably grateful, for example, to the man who does not know me, but has set up a JustGiving.com site for me and raised over £2,500 towards the costs of my appeal. And I have been touched and humbled by the kindness of so many members of the British public, who have reached into their own pockets in difficult times to help me pay for a lawyer, when the government wouldn’t help me.

"So I don’t have the money to pay a local lawyer, again. I suppose, in the grand scheme of things, it’s not very much money. The last appeal cost about £2,600. This time, in the Supreme Court, it will be about £8,000. If I really were a rich drug dealer, it would be no big deal. But I’m not, and you might as well ask me to pay ten million dollars.

"I have been told the government’s position when it comes to British citizens in my position, facing execution in a foreign country: that I or my supporters must raise the funds for my defence, and that the longer I am on death row the more time I have in which to do this.

"They say some of the current cabinet ministers are out of touch. I don’t know much about politics but I do know the minister who said that, Alistair Burt, lives in cloud cuckoo land. My family has done all they possibly can to support me and nobody could ask anyone to do more. I myself am knitting a jumper that I will try to auction to raise money, but that’s not going to go far. Exactly how, Mr Burt, do you propose that I come up with £8,000? Perhaps you would like to bid £6,000 for my jumper. I think the colour might suit you.

"I suppose Mr Burt may think it’s my fault that I am where I am. I suppose that’s true, in the same way that it’s true that many people on trial in Britain have only themselves to blame when they get into trouble; but, at least for now, we have a pretty decent legal aid system for them. I suppose even someone who smokes cigarettes (and I’ve done that myself) may have only herself to blame when she gets cancer, but at least we have the NHS.

"The Indonesian system gives legal aid to its own citizens, but not to foreigners. So I cannot get a lawyer, unless I pay for one. In a way, I respect the Indonesians more than my own government at this point: they go out of their way for their own citizens, providing legal help to the many Indonesians who face execution in Saudi Arabia or Malaysia. So they do what the British government is unwilling to do.

"There are others who are even more desperate than me, other British people who face execution without anyone on their side, some who have been unfairly convicted for crimes they never committed. I know that there are some people who think I should die here in this prison cell. If I should die – and I hope I don’t, but I fear I may – then I hope that my execution will prompt the British government to do more for others."

Source: Reprieve, April 21, 2013

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

William Thompson Faces Execution in Florida Amid Dementia, Terminal Illness Concerns

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed an exe­cu­tion war­rant for 74-year-old pris­on­er William ​“Bill” Thompson less than 24 hours after he was released from the hos­pi­tal to the hos­pice wing of the prison. After his attor­neys raised seri­ous con­cerns about his men­tal com­pe­ten­cy and dete­ri­o­rat­ing phys­i­cal health, Gov. DeSantis agreed to tem­porar­i­ly stay the exe­cu­tion so Mr. Thompson’s com­pe­ten­cy can be eval­u­at­ed on October 1. If he is found com­pe­tent, his exe­cu­tion remains sched­uled for October 13.

Tennessee Supreme Court denies stay for death row inmate Christa Pike

(TNND) — As Tennessee prepares for a Sept. 30 execution, the Tennessee Supreme Court has denied death row inmate Christa Gail Pike’s request to stop it. The court rejected Pike’s challenge to the state’s lethal-injection protocol, finding that her thrombocytosis diagnosis, a condition involving elevated blood platelets, did not show the execution would violate the Eighth Amendment ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

Texas executes Ker’Sean Ramey

Texas executes man for a triple killing, days after other man convicted in case was put to death  A man was executed Wednesday evening in Texas for a triple killing committed during an attempted robbery at a rural home, 1 week after the other man convicted in the case was put to death.  Ker’Sean Ramey, 41, was pronounced dead at 6:34 p.m. CDT following a lethal injection at the state penitentiary in Huntsville. He was the 6th person executed this year in Texas, with 3 more lethal injections scheduled in the state over the next 2 months. 

Texas House chairman wants child rapists eligible for death penalty

AUSTIN (Nexstar) — Under current Supreme Court precedent, states cannot execute someone for raping a child if the victim survives. That’s not stopping State Rep. Jeff Leach, R-McKinney. “We’re going to have a debate in this building behind me about the death penalty being on the table for any Texan who rapes a child,” Leach, the chair of the Texas House Committee on Judiciary & Civil Jurisprudence, said. Leach made the comments while hosting a news conference supporting his client, abuse survivor Cindy Clemishire.

Israel | Ben Gvir discusses death penalty for Neveh Tzuf terrorist hours before Yom Kippur

National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir raised the possibility of applying the death penalty to the Neveh Tzuf terrorist during a security meeting with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Two hours before the start of Yom Kippur on Sunday, National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir raised the possibility of applying the death penalty to the terrorist responsible for the attack in Neveh Tzuf during a security meeting with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Netanyahu had reportedly convened the meeting in response to the security situation in the West Bank following the Sunday terror attack.

Philippines | President Marcos Grants Absolute Pardon to Mary Jane Veloso

President Marcos Confirms Decision to Grant Absolute Pardon to Mary Jane Veloso  President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has signed an absolute pardon for Mary Jane Veloso after more than a decade.  On Friday (September 25, 2026), the President confirmed the decision during a visit to Guiuan, Eastern Samar.  According to him, the pardon was officially signed the previous day, marking a major development in the case.  

Texas set to execute second man convicted in 2005 South Texas triple murder

Ker’Sean Olajuwa Ramey is scheduled to die Wednesday, one week after the state executed his co-defendant for the same killings. Texas is scheduled to execute a man on Wednesday for the 2005 shooting deaths of three people during a botched robbery in a small South Texas town, just one week after the state put his co-defendant to death for the same crime. Ker’Sean Olajuwa Ramey, 41, is scheduled to die by lethal injection Wednesday evening at the state penitentiary in Huntsville.

Florida | Tomasz Kosowski found guilty of murder after representing himself in death penalty case

Tomasz Kosowski sat each day alone at the defense table, wearing orange jail garb and rubber sandals with socks. In a rare and largely unprecedented move for a death penalty case, Kosowski represented himself, waiving his right to a jury trial and allowing a judge in Pinellas County, Florida, to decide his fate. Prosecutors presented the state’s case over six days, laying out for the judge how the former plastic surgeon accosted Steven Cozzi in the bathroom of his law office on a Tuesday morning, and Cozzi was never seen again.

Singapore | Ministry of Home Affairs refutes claims that death penalty was discussed during visit by Israel's security ministry

The Ministry of Home Affairs says discussions with the Israeli government involved the sharing of best practices in emergency response, crime prevention, and forensics. Issues relating to the death penalty “were never part of the meeting and were not discussed."  SINGAPORE: The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on Friday (Sep 11) refuted claims by an Israeli media outlet that the death penalty was discussed during a visit by an Israeli delegation in May. The Haaretz newspaper reported on Sep 7 that a delegation comprising representatives from the Israel Prison Service and National Security Ministry made a “secret visit” to Singapore that month.

Tennessee | Christa Pike Requests Clemency Ahead of September 30 Execution Date; Experts’ Amicus Brief Points to ​‘Substantial Risk’ of Re-traumatization

Lawyers for Christa Pike, the only woman on Tennessee’s death row, filed a 226-page clemen­cy peti­tion with Governor Bill Lee, ask­ing him to com­mute her death sen­tence to life in prison with­out the pos­si­bil­i­ty of parole ahead of her September 30 exe­cu­tion date. Ms. Pike’s clemen­cy peti­tion out­lines the case her team has built over decades of appeals: her actions at 18 years old can­not be sep­a­rat­ed from a child­hood marked by repeat­ed rape, sex­u­al abuse, and neglect that went unad­dressed by the adults and state sys­tems meant to pro­tect her. Once incar­cer­at­ed, Ms. Pike was diag­nosed with bipo­lar dis­or­der and post-trau­mat­ic stress disorder.