Skip to main content

Indonesia: Judges' comments raise hopes for Bali Nine duo

The Indonesian court that heard the final legal appeals of death row inmates Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran (left) has raised the Bali 9 members' chances of being spared death by firing squad.

A written declaration that the right to life ''must not be ignored, reduced [or] taken away by anyone'' made by a panel of 3 judges was sent from Denpasar District Court to the country's Supreme Court last month.

Based on that opinion, and the evidence of the hearings summarised by the judges, the Supreme Court will make the final verdict on the Bali nine members' attempt to have the death penalty reduced to 20-year prison terms. The decision is expected within a few months.

The six-point concluding opinion, obtained by The Age, backs most of the arguments put to the court by the pair's legal counsel and notes that many other countries no longer have the death penalty.

''Human rights constitute the most basic of rights inherent to man and is universal and eternal. Therefore, it must be protected, defended and must not be ignored, reduced [or] taken away by anyone,'' the judges said.

They pointed to the 1945 constitution, which they said explicitly stated that everybody had the right to life.

While capital punishment still exists in Indonesia, including for narcotics offences, the judges said the death penalty should only be imposed for ''the most serious crimes'' under the UN Covenant on Civil and Political Rights signed by the Indonesian government.

Chan and Sukumaran, both from Sydney, were detained along with 7 other Australians in Bali in 2005, and later found guilty of organising the smuggling of 8.1 kilograms of heroin to Australia.

Unlike other members of the Bali nine syndicate, they have faced the death penalty from the outset and have had that sentence upheld in all previous appeals, hurt by their refusal to admit their guilt or co-operate with authorities on the advice of their previous legal team.

However, the two men confessed their crimes before the judges in their most recent trial, expressing their contrition in Indonesian courts and testifying that they were working hard to reform their lives.

Their rehabilitation was endorsed by testimony from the governor of Bali's Kerobokan prison, Siswanto, who praised them for organising computer, graphic design and other classes for Indonesian inmates at the penitentiary. Siswanto also expressed his desire that their lives be spared.

The judges picked up on this point, saying the ''condition of the perpetrator'' must be considered.

However, the Denpasar judges dismissed an argument from the duo's lawyer that they only ''attempted'' the crime of drug exportation because the drugs were intercepted at Bali airport before the drug mules boarded their plane back to Australia.

Just what weight the Supreme Court gives to the Denpasar judges' opinion remains to be seen. The court is also considering an appeal from Scott Rush, the other member of the Bali 9 on death row.

If the appeals fail, the 3 Australians can appeal directly to Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono for clemency.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard has lobbied Dr Yudhoyono on behalf of Chan, Sukumaran and Rush.

Source: The Age, January 31, 2011


Right-to-life ruling may save Bali pair from firing squad


The chances of the Bali nine ringleaders Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran being spared death by firing squad have improved significantly after the Indonesian court that heard their final legal appeals found the right to life ''must not be ignored, reduced or taken away''.

The striking declaration in support of the sanctity of life was made by a panel of three judges in a written opinion sent from Denpasar District Court last month to the Supreme Court.

Based on the opinion and evidence summarised by the judges, the Supreme Court will make the final verdict on the men's bid to have the death penalty reduced to a 20-year jail term.

The decision is expected in months.

The 6-point concluding opinion, obtained by the Herald, backs most of the arguments put by the pair's lawyer and notes that many other countries no longer have the death penalty. ''Human rights constitute the most basic of rights inherent to man and is universal and eternal. Therefore, it must be protected, defended and must not be ignored, reduced, taken away by anyone.''

While capital punishment still exists in Indonesia, the judges said such a penalty should be imposed only for ''the most serious crimes'' under the UN Covenant on Civil and Political Rights signed by Indonesia.

Chan and Sukumaran, both from Sydney, were detained with 7 other Australians in Bali in 2005 and later found guilty of organising to smuggle 8.1 kilograms of heroin to Australia.

Unlike other syndicate members, the pair have faced the death penalty from the outset and have had that sentence upheld in all previous appeals, hurt by their refusal to admit guilt.

However, the 2 confessed their crimes before the judges in the most recent hearing. Their rehabilitation was endorsed by the governor of Bali's Kerobokan prison, Siswanto, who said he wanted their lives spared.

The judges dismissed an argument from their lawyer that they only ''attempted'' the crime of drug exportation because the drugs were intercepted at Bali airport before the drug couriers boarded their plane to Australia.

If the appeal fails, the Australians can appeal to Indonesia's President, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, for clemency.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald, January 31, 2011
_________________________
Use the tags below or the search engine at the top of this page to find updates, older or related articles on this Website.

Comments

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Alabama executes Jeremy Williams

Tennessee and Oklahoma have put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men in one day. Tennessee and Oklahoma put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other Thursday, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men by lethal injection in one day for the first time since 2010. The Tennessee man was executed for killing a maid at a motel in 1985, and the Oklahoma man for killing his girlfriend in 2003. In Alabama, a man was put to death Thursday evening for killing a 5-year-old girl he had paid her mother to abuse.

Tennessee executes Darrell Hines

The state has spent millions of dollars over decades to execute a seriously ill man who was already incarcerated. The state of Tennessee executed death row inmate Darrell Hines Thursday morning, according to an advocacy group.  No formal announcement of the execution has been issued by state leaders yet. The execution was slated for 10 a.m. Thursday at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville. [DPN update] Hines was pronounced dead at 10:43 a.m. CDT. His last meal was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, corn, fries, biscuits, a chicken sandwich, chocolate chip cake, and sweet tea.

Alabama Set To Carry Out Execution This Week

Alabama is preparing to execute Jeremy Williams, who pled guilty to the 2021 rape and murder of five-year-old Kamarie Holland.  The execution is scheduled for Thursday (August 13) at the Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, Alabama.  Williams, who is 41, requested the death penalty and waived his right to appeal, making this the first execution in Alabama this year.

Oklahoma executes Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez

Oklahoma has carried out 1 of 3 executions set for the same day in the United States in another sign of the resurgence of the death penalty in the country.  Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez was pronounced dead at 10:13 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 13, at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester.  He was put to death by lethal injection for the murder of his common-law wife in 2003 at their Oklahoma City home. He admitted to police he shot her twice during an argument.  Cuesta-Rodriguez, 70, did not fight for his life, stunning his attorneys in July when he told the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board that he didn't want clemency. "It's time for me to pay for what I did," he said. 

Tennessee set to execute Anthony Darrell Hines

Barring any last-minute interventions, the Tennessee Department of Correction will execute Anthony Darrell Hines by lethal injection at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville Thursday morning. This week, two courts had the opportunity to halt the execution: the federal court in Middle Tennessee and the U.S. Supreme Court. Gov. Bill Lee announced Tuesday he personally would not prevent the execution. “After deliberate consideration of Anthony Darrell Hines’ request for clemency, and after a thorough review of the case, I am upholding the sentence of the State of Tennessee and do not plan to intervene,” he said in a written statement. The U.S. Supreme Court has not granted a stay or reprieve.

Tennessee | The doctor who helps put prisoners to death

Dr. Mark Fowler assisted in the failed execution of a Tennessee prisoner. Physicians are meant to heal patients—why is he working in the death chamber? Mark Fowler, a physician with 25 years’ experience, stepped beneath the bright lights and approached the middle-aged man lying on a gurney. Around him, people in medical gowns prepared needles and sterile tubing. It had all the appearances of a hospital setting. Fowler had been called in to help establish an IV line through which the 57-year-old man, Tony Carruthers, would be injected with pharmaceutical drugs. The team had struggled to find a vein, so Fowler was summoned to set a central line—an intravenous catheter inserted into the major vein below the collarbone.

Iran’s War on Women: Executions, Floggings, and the Politics of Fear

The Iranian regime is increasingly using death sentences, corporal punishment, and judicial persecution against women—not only to silence dissent but also to intimidate a society demanding change. The Iranian regime has long viewed women as central to the country’s struggle for freedom—and therefore as central targets of repression. The nationwide uprising of 2022 fundamentally altered the political landscape, demonstrating that Iranian women were no longer merely participants in protest movements but among their principal organizers and symbols. Since then, the authorities have steadily intensified their campaign against women, expanding the use of executions, imprisonment, corporal punishment, and judicial intimidation.

The 'Black Widow' shakes Iran: 10 death sentences for a serial killer who killed 12 men

Kolthum Akbari, an Iranian woman widely dubbed the “Black Widow,” was convicted of serial murders of elderly men she married, often temporarily. Official accounts generally center on 11 murders (plus one attempted murder), though Akbari herself gave varying figures and investigations suggested she had many more marriages.  The sentencing occurred primarily in September 2025 in Mazandaran Province, with ongoing reporting and updates into 2026. The 56- to 59-year-old killer confessed to killing at least 11 elderly men after temporarily or officially marrying them; Iranian authorities have linked her to additional marriages and possible further victims.

Arizona prosecutors seek death penalty a second time for 2 inmates

County Attorney Brad Miller said Aug. 6 that the nature of the attack and both men's past criminal records meet the strict legal bar required for execution under Arizona law. FLORENCE, Ariz. - Pinal County prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against two inmates accused of violently killing a fellow prisoner behind bars, officials announced Thursday. Pinal County Attorney Brad Miller filed a Notice of Intent to Seek the Death Penalty against Pete Van Winkle and Tracy Hampton in connection with the fatal attack on Kenneth Thompson. 

Iran | Executions in Tabriz, Zanjan, Qazvin

Iranian authorities executed at least three prisoners, including two Turks, identified as Amrollah Dousti, Hojjat Khayat, and Yousef Bagheri, in Tabriz and Zanjan Central Prisons. Dousti and Khayat were executed on drug-related charges, while Bagheri was executed for “premeditated murder.” According to information received by the Hengaw Organization for Human Rights, Dousti, 40, from Bandar Abbas and a father of two, and Khayat, 51, from Tabriz and a father of three, were executed in Tabriz Central Prison on Sunday, August 9, 2026.