Skip to main content

Yong Vui Kong: Time running out for young Malaysian on Singapore DR

Yong Vui Kong
Yong Vui Kong, 22, is a citizen of Malaysia who was arrested for the charge of trafficking 47 grams of heroin and sentenced to be hanged. Yong Vui Kong is just 22 years old and he was caught in Singapore. Malaysia is doing everything possible to save the young man’s life but so far the situation is not going in the right direction. Yong Vui Kong is due to be hanged on 26th of August.

The case is very complex and the petitions that are sent to the higher officials of Singapore are not yet being responded to. Before this Yong Vui Kong appealed through his Singapore lawyer M. Ravi that the death sentence that is ordered upon him is an absolutely wrong and unjust punishment and it goes against humanity. His appeal was heard in the court but later dismissed.

Now Yong Vui Kong is waiting for his fate and anything could happen any time. Though Malaysia is doing a lot to save this young man’s life they are not doing enough and not fast enough. There are just two days till the sentence is executed and till now even the clemency hasn’t been presented to the president.

Credit has to be given to the Malay authorities that the clemency initially required 100,000 signatures to make a difference in the case but due to the efforts of the people involved the amount of signatures has increased to 107,904. This is the highest amount of signatures that any clemency has ever received.


Source: InfoCuts, August 24, 2010


Strong Case For World Court

Kota Kinabalu: The Malaysian Government should refer to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) "the breach of due process" committed by Singapore's Law Minister on the case of Sabahan Yong Vui Kong, who faces certain death if his second clemency petition to the republic's President is rejected.

Singapore lawyer for Yong, M. Ravi (left), told Daily Express that taking such a bold step, instead of a mere diplomatic note, may be the only means left that would make a big difference to the fate of Yong, who was still a lad of 18 when arrested for drug possession over there.

Yong, 22, who was convicted of drug trafficking, is due to be hanged anytime after Aug. 26.

"The Malaysian Government should take immediate and appropriate steps to safeguard the life of its citizen. It must first register a diplomatic note to Singapore on this breach of due process that was committed by no less than the republic's Law Minister and take this matter to the International Court.

"The prejudicial remarks on the case made by the Law Minister was a very serious breach as Yong had already been deprived of the right to an impartial clemency hearing," he told Daily Express by phone, Monday.

On July 30 this year, Foreign Minister Datuk Anifah Aman sent a letter of appeal for clemency for Yong to the Singapore Foreign Ministry to spare Yong's life.

Earlier, Yong had appealed through Ravi, that the mandatory death penalty was inhuman and any legislation that prescribes that penalty as the punishment for an offence violates the right to life as set out in Article 9(1) of the Constitution. His appeal was heard by the Court of Appeal and dismissed on May 14 this year.

However, on May 9, 2010, and before the Court of Appeal gave its verdict (May 14, 2010), the Law Minister of Singapore, K. Shanmugam, made the following statement, which was published in the Singapore Straits Times.

"Yong Vui Kong, (who was sentenced to hang for trafficking 47gm of heroin) he is young. But if we say, 'We let you go', what's the signal we're sending? We're sending a signal to all drug barons out there: just make sure you choose a victim who's young or a mother of a young child and use them as the people to carry drugs into Singapore."

Ravi added: "They even said that the President of Singapore doesn't have the power to grant pardon even before Yong had filed his first clemency petition."

It was stated in a "Save Vui Kong" campaign material that pursuant to Article 22P of the Constitution of the Republic of Singapore, the power to grand pardon lies with the President, with the advice of the Cabinet.

However, the Attorney-General Walter Woon is on record as saying that "although in theory it is the President who exercises the prerogative of mercy, in fact, it is the Cabinet that makes the decision".

Despite all that, Ravi said Yong has a right to again seek for clemency from the President for the second time. The last date for Yong to file his second clemency petition falls on Aug. 26 (Thursday).

The Singapore lawyer, who visited Yong last week and would see him again this Wednesday (Aug 26), reiterated that Yong could be the best anti-drug campaigner for Singapore.

"Even in prison, he leads by example by telling other young people the lesson he has learned and to avoid the road that leads to destruction."

On whether Yong is resigned to his fate, Ravi said the former hoped that with his second clemency petition, the Singapore Government would relent.

"But this is not easy as Singapore is merciless."

Asked how Yong was coping in prison, he said : "He has reformed: the State can see this. He is now imparting Buddhism to other convicts and even to some prison wardens at every opportunity."

What astounded him was Yong's increased proficiency in languages like Malay, English and Chinese, given his Primary Four schooling background.

"He improved by leaps and bounds; he even has a Chinese-English Technical Dictionary. Such improvement reflects the talent within him but this talent was wasted all those years. Now he is in prison, what is the point?"

Ravi continued: "Very sad, Yong lived in poverty. The inequity in social structure led his astray. He is a victim of social inequity.

And he is from a broken family, so he lost that opportunity."

Earlier this year, Ravi flew to Sandakan to visit Yong's old home at Kg Sungai Manila, which had been left vacant since the family disintegrated.

Yong had left the place at 10 in pursuit of a job to support himself.

The lawyer was taken to the place by Sandakan Campaign Co-ordinator, Stephen Wong and Yong's paternal uncle and his wife.

What amazed the Singapore lawyer was his unexpected encounter with Yong's personal belongings kept in a cupboard.

"Those were his old school uniforms, shirt, shorts, textbooks and even exercise books. From the score in his books, it is clear that Yong had a zest for Mandarin and Mathematics.

"I brought these items to Singapore and showed them to the media, still intact 12 years down the road. How many mothers would keep their children's things nicely and leave them untouched!" he remarked.

Meanwhile, as at 4.30pm, Monday (Aug. 23), a total of 107,904 signatures had been collected from the Online Petition and Sign Petition in the "Save Vui Kong" campaign.

Malaysian lawyer Cik Ngeow Chow Ying, who is the National Campaign Co-ordinator, said the figure exceeded the target of 100,000 signatures.

"The breakdown is: 43,466 from Sabah, 32,719 from West Malaysia and 312 from Singapore. Online signatures numbered 31,407 (both Singapore and Malaysia).

"At 9.30am Tuesday (Aug. 24), we will go to the Istana and present the clemency petition (Give Yong Vui Kong a second chance to help Singapore's Anti-Drug Trafficking Policy), and all the signatures to the President of the Republic of Singapore, S.R. Nathan, collectively," she said when contacted.

The online petition was initiated by Ravi, who reckoned that the total figure (107,904) was the highest in the history of Malaysian clemency cases.

Member of Parliament for Tawau, Datuk Chua Soon Bui, who arrived in Singapore on Sunday, said of the more than 43,000 signatures from Sabah, about 30,000 were from Sandakan, 10,000 from Tawau and the rest from Kota Kinabalu, Lahad Datu and other towns.

She attributed this to the hard work put in by Sandakan Campaign Co-ordinator, Stephen Wong and his team.

Source: Daily Express, August 24, 2010

Comments

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Alabama executes Jeremy Williams

Tennessee and Oklahoma have put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men in one day. Tennessee and Oklahoma put inmates to death within 30 minutes of each other Thursday, and Alabama followed suit hours later as U.S. states executed three men by lethal injection in one day for the first time since 2010. The Tennessee man was executed for killing a maid at a motel in 1985, and the Oklahoma man for killing his girlfriend in 2003. In Alabama, a man was put to death Thursday evening for killing a 5-year-old girl he had paid her mother to abuse.

Tennessee executes Darrell Hines

The state has spent millions of dollars over decades to execute a seriously ill man who was already incarcerated. The state of Tennessee executed death row inmate Darrell Hines Thursday morning, according to an advocacy group.  No formal announcement of the execution has been issued by state leaders yet. The execution was slated for 10 a.m. Thursday at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville. [DPN update] Hines was pronounced dead at 10:43 a.m. CDT. His last meal was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, corn, fries, biscuits, a chicken sandwich, chocolate chip cake, and sweet tea.

Alabama Set To Carry Out Execution This Week

Alabama is preparing to execute Jeremy Williams, who pled guilty to the 2021 rape and murder of five-year-old Kamarie Holland.  The execution is scheduled for Thursday (August 13) at the Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, Alabama.  Williams, who is 41, requested the death penalty and waived his right to appeal, making this the first execution in Alabama this year.

Oklahoma executes Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez

Oklahoma has carried out 1 of 3 executions set for the same day in the United States in another sign of the resurgence of the death penalty in the country.  Carlos Cuesta-Rodriguez was pronounced dead at 10:13 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 13, at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester.  He was put to death by lethal injection for the murder of his common-law wife in 2003 at their Oklahoma City home. He admitted to police he shot her twice during an argument.  Cuesta-Rodriguez, 70, did not fight for his life, stunning his attorneys in July when he told the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board that he didn't want clemency. "It's time for me to pay for what I did," he said. 

Tennessee set to execute Anthony Darrell Hines

Barring any last-minute interventions, the Tennessee Department of Correction will execute Anthony Darrell Hines by lethal injection at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville Thursday morning. This week, two courts had the opportunity to halt the execution: the federal court in Middle Tennessee and the U.S. Supreme Court. Gov. Bill Lee announced Tuesday he personally would not prevent the execution. “After deliberate consideration of Anthony Darrell Hines’ request for clemency, and after a thorough review of the case, I am upholding the sentence of the State of Tennessee and do not plan to intervene,” he said in a written statement. The U.S. Supreme Court has not granted a stay or reprieve.

Tennessee | The doctor who helps put prisoners to death

Dr. Mark Fowler assisted in the failed execution of a Tennessee prisoner. Physicians are meant to heal patients—why is he working in the death chamber? Mark Fowler, a physician with 25 years’ experience, stepped beneath the bright lights and approached the middle-aged man lying on a gurney. Around him, people in medical gowns prepared needles and sterile tubing. It had all the appearances of a hospital setting. Fowler had been called in to help establish an IV line through which the 57-year-old man, Tony Carruthers, would be injected with pharmaceutical drugs. The team had struggled to find a vein, so Fowler was summoned to set a central line—an intravenous catheter inserted into the major vein below the collarbone.

Iran’s War on Women: Executions, Floggings, and the Politics of Fear

The Iranian regime is increasingly using death sentences, corporal punishment, and judicial persecution against women—not only to silence dissent but also to intimidate a society demanding change. The Iranian regime has long viewed women as central to the country’s struggle for freedom—and therefore as central targets of repression. The nationwide uprising of 2022 fundamentally altered the political landscape, demonstrating that Iranian women were no longer merely participants in protest movements but among their principal organizers and symbols. Since then, the authorities have steadily intensified their campaign against women, expanding the use of executions, imprisonment, corporal punishment, and judicial intimidation.

The 'Black Widow' shakes Iran: 10 death sentences for a serial killer who killed 12 men

Kolthum Akbari, an Iranian woman widely dubbed the “Black Widow,” was convicted of serial murders of elderly men she married, often temporarily. Official accounts generally center on 11 murders (plus one attempted murder), though Akbari herself gave varying figures and investigations suggested she had many more marriages.  The sentencing occurred primarily in September 2025 in Mazandaran Province, with ongoing reporting and updates into 2026. The 56- to 59-year-old killer confessed to killing at least 11 elderly men after temporarily or officially marrying them; Iranian authorities have linked her to additional marriages and possible further victims.

Arizona prosecutors seek death penalty a second time for 2 inmates

County Attorney Brad Miller said Aug. 6 that the nature of the attack and both men's past criminal records meet the strict legal bar required for execution under Arizona law. FLORENCE, Ariz. - Pinal County prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against two inmates accused of violently killing a fellow prisoner behind bars, officials announced Thursday. Pinal County Attorney Brad Miller filed a Notice of Intent to Seek the Death Penalty against Pete Van Winkle and Tracy Hampton in connection with the fatal attack on Kenneth Thompson. 

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine issues three death penalty reprieves

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) – Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine issued execution reprieves for three death row inmates on Friday. In a statement, DeWine said he issued reprieves for Keith LaMar, Scott Group, and Davel Chinn, all of whom were set to be executed early next year. LaMar was scheduled to be executed on Jan. 13, 2027. He was convicted of aggravated murder for the deaths of five inmates during a 1993 riot at the Southern Ohio Correctional Institution in Lucasville. He received the death penalty for four of the killings. His new execution date is Jan. 13, 2030. Watch the latest NBC4 headlines in the video player above.