Skip to main content

China sentenced South African woman to death

BEIJING - CHINA has sentenced to death a South African woman for drug smuggling, state media said on Friday, in the same week that four Japanese nationals were executed for the same offence.

Janice Bronwyn Linden, 35, was caught at the airport in the southern city of Guangzhou in November 2008 with more than three kilos of 'ice', or crystal methamphetamine, the Xinhua news agency said.

She was sentenced on Thursday by the high court in Guangdong province, the report said, adding the death penalty still needed to be approved by China's Supreme People's Court before being carried out.

The news comes as four Japanese nationals were put to death this week for drug smuggling in a move that sparked concern in Tokyo.

And in December, China executed Briton Akmal Shaikh, a 53-year-old father-of-three convicted of drug smuggling. Supporters said he was mentally ill and London repeatedly urged Beijing to grant clemency.

Rights group Amnesty International has said the number of people China puts to death each year is likely in the 'thousands' and more than the rest of the world combined. According to Amnesty, there are 68 crimes in China that are punishable by death, including non-violent offences such as fraud, bribery and drugs charges. Those convicted of smuggling, selling, transporting or producing more than 50 grammes of heroin or methamphetamine face the death penalty in China, according to Xinhua.

Source: AFP, April 9, 2010


Chinese court sentences South African woman to death for drug smuggling

APA – Beijing (China) The Guangdong Provincial Higher People’s Court sentenced on Thursday a South African woman to death for attempting to smuggle about 3 kg of drugs into China, a court statement said here Friday.

The death penalty needed to be approved by the Supreme People’s Court before being carried out, as required by Chinese law.

Janice Bronwyn Linden, 35, arrived at the Baiyun International Airport, in Guangzhou, the capital of Guangdong province (south) without declaring any goods on November 30, 2008, but customs officers found in her trunk about 3kg of methamphetamine hydrochloride.

The death sentence was handed down at the Guangzhou Municipal Intermediate People’s Court on July 15 last year, and she subsequently lodged an appeal to the Guangdong Provincial Higher People’s Court, which heard the case in public on November 20, the statement added.

In upholding the original verdict, the judges said Linden had attempted to evade supervision of Chinese customs to smuggle a large amount of drugs into the country, which exerted a very negative impact on the society and should allow no leniency, according to the higher court statement.

The statement added that all her personal assets were confiscated, according to the sentence.

Linden’s legal rights and treatment were fully safeguarded during the trials, the statement said.

After the sentence was announced, Linden was also permitted to have a brief meeting with diplomatic officials from the South African consulate in Shanghai, it said.

Drug smuggling is a felony offence under Chinese criminal law and those who are convicted of smuggling, selling, transporting or producing more than 50 grams of methamphetamine or heroine can be sentenced to death.

Meanwhile, China on Friday executed three Japanese citizens for drug smuggling and trafficking, in addition to the execution of another Japanese citizen earlier this week for the same offence.

Source: APA, April 9, 2010


SA intervenes in execution of its citizen

The case of a South African woman sentenced to death in China has been referred to that country's high court in Beijing for a final decision, the Department of International Relations and Co-operation said on Friday.

The department said in a statement that the judicial process was ongoing, as it had already, on behalf of government, started engaging with the Chinese authorities.

It said South Africa's Ambassador in Beijing, Ndumiso Ntshinga, was leading government' efforts in this regard.

News agency DPA, quoting the official Xinhua news agency in possession of a court statement, reported that Janice Bronwyn Linden, 35, was sentenced in July last year after she was convicted of drug smuggling in China.

A higher court in China on Friday upheld Linden's death sentence following an appeal hearing in November of the original sentence.

The agency reported that Linden was arrested after customs officers found about three kilograms of methamphetamines in her luggage following her arrival at Baiyun International Airport in the southern city of Guangzhou in November 2008.

A court statement reportedly said Linden had "attempted to evade supervision of Chinese customs to smuggle a large amount of drugs into the country, which exerted a very negative impact on society".

The court, therefore, had decided it "should allow no leniency," the statement said.

The upholding of Linden's sentence comes after Chinese authorities on Tuesday, executed the first Japanese citizen since the two nations normalised diplomatic ties in 1972.

That execution of the convicted drug trafficker was followed by the execution of three more Japanese drug traffickers on Friday.

At least one other South African citizen faces a possible death sentence in China, according to South African media reports.

Michael John McDermid, 55, was detained in Beijing after he was caught with 3 kilograms of heroin, The Star newspaper reported in April 2009.

In November, South Africa's department of foreign affairs said 691 South African citizens were detained abroad for drug-related offences, but it was not known how many were detained in China.

China executed British man Akmal Shaikh for drug trafficking in December, despite pleas for clemency from the British government and international rights groups in the first execution of a European national in China in 50 years.

Source: PretoriaNews, April 9, 2010

Comments

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

Prosecutors may pursue death penalty in Alex Murdaugh retrial, South Carolina AG says

Alan Wilson said prosecutors are “back to square one” and all legal options are on the table. South Carolina Attorney General Alan Wilson said Friday that his office may pursue the death penalty when it retries Alex Murdaugh in the 2021 murder of his son and wife. “In light of the Supreme Court’s decision, we’re back to square one on this case, and that means all our legal options are on the table, including the death penalty,” Wilson said. The state’s high court reversed Murdaugh’s double murder conviction in an opinion published Wednesday that accused a former court clerk of “egregious” jury interference.

20 Minutes to Death: Witness to the Last Execution in France

The following document is a firsthand account of the final moments of Hamida Djandoubi, a convicted murderer executed by guillotine at Marseille’s Baumettes Prison on September 10, 1977. The record—dated September 9—was written by Monique Mabelly, a judge appointed by the state to witness the proceedings. Djandoubi’s execution would ultimately be the last carried out in France before capital punishment was abolished in 1981. At the time, President Valéry Giscard d'Estaing—who had publicly voiced his "deep aversion to the death penalty" prior to his election—rejected Djandoubi’s appeal for clemency. Choosing to let "justice take its course," the President allowed the execution to proceed, just as he had in two previous cases during his term:   Christian Ranucci , executed on July 28, 1976 and Jérôme Carrein , executed on June 23, 1977. Hamida Djandoubi , a Tunisian national, was sentenced to death for killing his former lover, Elisabeth Bousquet. He was execu...

Will the US Supreme Court end nitrogen gas executions?

When President Donald Trump returned to office in January 2025, he directed his administration to “ restor[e] the death penalty .” His embrace of capital punishment helped fuel a surge in executions at the state level last year, as I previously reported , and led the Justice Department to produce a report on “strengthening” the federal death penalty, which was released late last month. In the report, the Justice Department defended the use of pentobarbital – a powerful sedative – for lethal injections, criticizing the Biden administration’s determination that it may cause “unnecessary pain and suffering.” Nevertheless, citing ongoing legal challenges to pentobarbital use and related problems obtaining the drugs used in lethal injections, the DOJ recommended expanding the list of federal execution methods by adding firing squads, electrocution, and lethal gas.

Former Oklahoma death row inmate Richard Glossip goes free on $500k bond

Richard Glossip was released from jail Thursday, May 14, on a $500,000 bond, a major victory for the former death row inmate who has come so close to execution that he has had three last meals. Glossip, 63, is awaiting his third trial in his 1997 murder-for-hire case. He walked out the front door of the Oklahoma County jail, holding hands with his wife, Lea Glossip, as a stiff Oklahoma breeze whipped his hair. "I'm just thankful for my wife and my attorneys," he told reporters. "I'm just happy." His release came hours after Oklahoma County District Judge Natalie Mai set bail in a 13-page order that pointed to issues with the key witness against him.

New Mississippi billboard warns criminals: ‘Firing squad is legal’

DESOTO COUNTY, Miss. (WREG) — A billboard standing on Interstate 55 southbound as you cross the Tennessee state line and enter Mississippi from Memphis is sending a grim message to those coming into the state. DeSoto County District Attorney Matthew Barton recently announced the new billboard campaign, which features the sign reading, “WELCOME TO MISSISSIPPI. WHERE THE FIRING SQUAD IS LEGAL. THINK TWICE.” It references Mississippi’s law permitting execution by firing squad under certain circumstances for inmates sentenced to death. Barton says this campaign is aimed at deterring violent crime and sends a direct message to criminals entering Mississippi.

Texas executes Edward Busby Jr.

Texas puts man to death for a retired professor's killing in its 600th execution since 1982  A man who experts for both prosecutors and defense attorneys had said was intellectually disabled became the 600th person executed in Texas since 1982, put to death Thursday evening for the killing of a retired 77-year-old college professor.  Edward Busby Jr. was pronounced dead at 8:11 p.m. local time following a lethal injection at the state penitentiary in Huntsville, hours after a divided Supreme Court lifted a stay over his disabilities claims. The execution followed a series of last-minute legal efforts by Busby's attorneys in a bid to spare his life after the nation’s high court lifted a stay hours earlier.

Arizona | Man who murdered pastor crucifixion style requests plea deal after parents killed in plane crash

Adam Sheafe, the California man who admitted to killing a New River, Arizona, pastor in a crucifixion-style attack, has asked prosecutors to offer him a plea deal that would result in a natural life sentence rather than the death penalty he had previously sought. Advisory council attorneys representing Sheafe sent a formal plea offer to prosecutors this week, about two weeks after his father and stepmother died in a plane crash at Marana Airport on April 8, according to 12 News. Sheafe, 51, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of William Schonemann, 76, pastor of New River Bible Church, who was found dead inside his home last April.

Idaho eyes restart of death row executions as firing squad draws near

BOISE, Idaho — Idaho’s prison system has nearly completed execution chamber upgrades to carry out the death penalty by firing squad as the state’s lead method and will have a team of riflemen ready to go by the time a state law takes effect this summer. As part of the transition, the Idaho Department of Correction hopes to limit participation by its officers as the shooting of condemned people in prison to death is prioritized over lethal injection. Toward that effort, prisoner leadership sought to implement a push-button technology to avoid needing IDOC workers to pull the triggers.

Former FedEx driver sentenced to death for killing 7-year-old girl after delivery at her Texas home

DALLAS (AP) — A former FedEx driver was sentenced to death on Tuesday after he pleaded guilty to killing a 7-year-old girl he took from her Texas home while delivering a Christmas gift. Jurors in a Fort Worth courtroom decided on Tanner Horner's punishment after hearing about a month of testimony and evidence that included audio of Athena Strand's last moments from inside his delivery van. Horner, 34, pleaded guilty to capital murder last month in the 2022 killing just as his trial began. Athena's body was found two days after she was reported missing from her home in the rural town of Paradise, near Fort Worth.

South Dakota | Latest appeal from state's lone death row inmate denied

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (KELO) — The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit has rejected the latest appeal from Briley Piper, the only person on death row in South Dakota. In March 2000, Briley Piper, along with co-defendants Elijah Page and Darrell Hoadley, conspired to burglarize the Lawrence County home of 19-year-old Chester Poage before abducting and murdering him by beating, stabbing, and stoning in a remote area.  Piper was subsequently arrested, convicted of murder, and sentenced to death, while his accomplices received either a death sentence—carried out against Page in 2007—or a sentence of life imprisonment without parole.