Skip to main content

Australian police defend their role in Bali Nine arrests

Australian police have defended their role in the arrests of the Bali nine drug smuggling group which led to the execution of its two leaders.

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) have faced criticism since the Bali Nine's arrests in 2005, after they aided Indonesian police in their investigation despite knowing that some of the gang could face the death penalty for drug trafficking.

The AFP passed information to Indonesian police which led to the group of Australians being arrested before they began their operation to smuggle 8.3 kilograms of heroin to Australia.

Accusations that the AFP "shopped" the Australians to Indonesian police to gain favour have been made even since, claims that AFP Commissioner Andrew Colvin called "fanciful and offensive" at a press conference today.

At the press conference, Commissioner Colvin said: "If we had had enough information to arrest the Bali Nine before they left Australia we would have done exactly that."

He cited police guidelines that said they must work with foreign police forces, and said that he could not guarantee that Australians facing similar penalties abroad would not suffer the same fate.

However, Colvin said that one officer asked to be removed from the investigation team because he was concerned that the Bali Nine would face the death penalty due to the AFP's work.

Bob Lawrence, the father of Renae Lawrence, a member of the gang who is due for release in 2026, criticised the AFP shortly after the arrests for helping Indonesian police catch the group.

He said: "I don't know how they can sleep at night... even if [the Bali Nine] were guilty of doing it willingly, it still doesn't deserve the death penalty."

Deputy Commissioner Michael Phelan said that fate of the group had rested on his mind ever since they were arrested.

He said: "If anyone thinks I have not agonised over this for the past 10 years then they dno't know me."

Click here to read the full article

Source: The Independent, May 4, 2015


Bali nine: AFP 'know they did wrong': Lawyer

Bali 9 Scott Rush arrested at Bali airport in April 2005
with heroin bags strapped to his body
The Brisbane lawyer who asked the Australian Federal Police to stop Bali Nine member Scott Rush travelling to Indonesia has dismissed a police explanation that the drug smugglers could not be intercepted by local authorities.

AFP Commissioner Andrew Colvin said on Monday that the authority was not in a position to arrest any of the Bali Nine before their ill-fated trip in 2005.

"At the time we were working with a very incomplete picture. We didn't know everybody involved, we didn't know all the plans, or even what the illicit commodity was likely to be," he said.

However Bob Myers, who was asked by Scott Rush's father to prevent his son leaving the country, said there was evidence this was not true.

Mr Myers contacted the AFP to inform them of Rush's suspected drug involvement, however it later emerged the syndicate had already been under investigation for several months.

"They deliberately brought the Indonesians into it," Mr Myers said.

"They knew the imposition of the death penalty was likely and that was a consequence that they accepted."

Mr Myers pointed to two letters sent by the AFP to Indonesian authorities days before the smugglers departed Australia, which contained the passport details of eight drug mules and details of how they planned to transport heroin.

"They will be carrying body packs (with white powder) back to Australia with packs on both legs and also with back supports. They have already been given the back supports. The packs will be strapped to their bodies. They will be given money to exchange for local currency to purchase oversized loose shirts and sandals," one of the letters said.

Mr Myers said the letters proved the AFP could have arrested Scott Rush and others and charged them with conspiracy.

"Even that didn't matter in the sense that they could have allowed them to come back here," he said.

On Monday, Commissioner Colvin could not guarantee the AFP would act differently if a Bali Nine-style situation emerged again.

"I wish I could assure you that this scenario could never happen again. But I cannot," Commissioner Colvin said, adding that the AFP had refused to exchange information in 15 cases during the last three years.

Mr Myers accused the AFP of "blatantly selling out" the Bali Nine for a perceived "common good".

Click here to read the full article

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald, Kristian Silva, May 4, 2015

Report an error, an omission: deathpenaltynews@gmail.com

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

'No Warning': The Death Penalty In Japan

Stakes for wrongful convictions are high in Japan, where the death penalty has broad public support despite criticism over how it is carried out. Tokyo: Capital punishment in Japan is under scrutiny again after the world's longest-serving death row prisoner, Iwao Hakamada, was awarded $1.4 million in compensation this week following his acquittal last year in a retrial. Stakes for wrongful convictions are high in Japan, where the death penalty has broad public support despite international criticism over how it is carried out.

A second South Carolina death row inmate chooses execution by firing squad

Columbia, S.C. — A South Carolina death row inmate on Friday chose execution by firing squad, just five weeks after the state carried out its first death by bullets. Mikal Mahdi, who pleaded guilty to murder for killing a police officer in 2004, is scheduled to be executed April 11. Mahdi, 41, had the choice of dying by firing squad, lethal injection or the electric chair. He will be the first inmate to be executed in the state since Brad Sigmon chose to be shot to death on March 7. A doctor pronounced Sigmon dead less than three minutes after three bullets tore into his heart.

Louisiana's First Nitrogen Execution Reflects Broader Method Shift

Facing imminent execution by lethal gas earlier this week, Jessie Hoffman Jr. — a Louisiana man convicted of abducting, raping and murdering a 28-year-old woman in 1996 — went to court with a request: Please allow me to be shot instead. In a petition filed with the U.S. Supreme Court on March 16 seeking a stay of his execution by nitrogen hypoxia, a protocol that had yet to be tested in the state, Hoffman requested execution by firing squad as an alternative.

USA | Federal death penalty possible for Mexican cartel boss behind 1985 DEA agent killing

Rafael Caro Quintero, extradited from Mexico in 2022, appeared in Brooklyn court as feds weigh capital charges for the torture and murder of Agent Enrique Camarena NEW YORK — The death penalty is on the table for notorious drug lord Rafael Caro Quintero, the so-called “narco of narcos” who orchestrated the torture and murder of a DEA agent in 1985, according to federal prosecutors. “It is a possibility. The decision has not yet been made, but it is going through the process,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Saritha Komatireddy said in Brooklyn Federal Court Wednesday.

South Carolina | Spiritual adviser of condemned inmate: 'We're more than the worst thing we've done'

(RNS) — When 67-year-old Brad Sigmon was put to death on March 7 in South Carolina for the murder of his then-girlfriend's parents, it was the first time in 15 years that an execution in the United States had been carried out by a firing squad. United Methodist minister Hillary Taylor, Sigmon's spiritual adviser since 2020, said the multifaceted, months long effort to save Sigmon's life, and to provide emotional and spiritual support for his legal team, and the aftermath of his execution has been a "whirlwind" said Taylor, the director of South Carolinians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty.

Execution date set for prisoner transferred to Oklahoma to face death penalty

An inmate who was transferred to Oklahoma last month to face the death penalty now has an execution date. George John Hanson, also known as John Fitzgerald Hanson, is scheduled to die on June 12 for the 1999 murder of 77-year-old Mary Bowles.  The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals on Tuesday set the execution date. The state’s Pardon and Parole Board has a tentative date of May 7 for Hanson’s clemency hearing, executive director Tom Bates said.

Inside Florida's Death Row: A dark cloud over the Sunshine State

Florida's death penalty system has faced numerous criticisms and controversies over the years - from execution methods to the treatment of Death Row inmates The Sunshine State remains steadfast in its enforcement of capital punishment, upholding a complex system that has developed since its reinstatement in 1976. Florida's contemporary death penalty era kicked off in 1972 following the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in Furman v. Georgia , which temporarily put a stop to executions across the country. Swiftly amending its laws, Florida saw the Supreme Court affirm the constitutionality of the death penalty in 1976's Gregg v. Georgia case.

Bangladesh | Botswana Woman Executed for Drug Trafficking

Dhaka, Bangladesh – Lesedi Molapisi, a Botswana national convicted of drug trafficking, was executed in Bangladesh on Friday, 21 March 2025. The 31-year-old was hanged at Dhaka Central Jail after exhausting all legal avenues to appeal her death sentence. Molapisi was arrested in January 2023 upon arrival at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport in Dhaka, where customs officials discovered 3.1 kilograms of heroin hidden in her luggage. Following a trial under Bangladesh’s Narcotics Control Act, she was sentenced to death in May 2024. Her execution was initially delayed due to political unrest in the country but was carried out last week.

Oklahoma executes Wendell Grissom

Grissom used some of his last words on Earth to apologize to everyone he hurt and said that he prays they can find forgiveness for their own sake. As for his execution, he said it was a mercy. Oklahoma executed Wendell Arden Grissom on Thursday for the murder of 23-year-old Amber Matthews in front of her best friend’s two young daughters in 2005.  Grissom, 56, was executed by lethal injection at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester and pronounced dead at 10:13 a.m. local time, becoming the first inmate to be put to death by the state in 2025 and the ninth in the United States this year. 

564 People On Death Row In India, Highest Since The Turn Of The Century

In 90% of of all death penalty sentences in 2024, trial courts imposed sentences in the absence of adequate information about the accused, finds a recent report Bengaluru: Following the uproar and the widespread protests after the August 2024 rape and murder of a medical professional in Kolkata’s RG Kar hospital, there were demands for death penalty for the accused. The state government passed the Aparajita Woman and Child (West Bengal Criminal Laws Amendment) Bill 2024 (awaiting presidential assent) which included mandatory death sentence for rape which results in death of the victim or if the victim is left in a vegetative state, despite such a mandatory sentence being unconstitutional.