Skip to main content

Yong Vui Kong - Last letter from death row: Facing death

Yong Vui Kong
Sabahan Yong Vui Kong, 23, is on death row in Singapore for drug trafficking. Malaysiakini is publishing Yong's final letters to Yetian, a member of the Save Vui Kong Campaign, as he faces death.

"Before I begin, I would like to thank everyone for reading this 12th letter. Time passes so quickly that this will be my last letter.

I hope that when you finished reading this letter, despite whatever that is going to happen to me, you will continue to support 'We Believe in Second Chances' campaign.

For my final letter, I would like to write about how I feel about facing death.

Firstly, I feel that the existence of the death penalty is not for the sake of retribution, but rather a way to allow the offender to understand, and fully confront, the mistake he has committed.

Take me as example, I am actually grateful that I was caught because it allowed me to understand the true meaning and purpose of life, and it has allowed me to find strength within myself. I remembered I once mentioned about the "me" before I was caught - a person who has never truly lived before.

A few days ago, my lawyer, M Ravi, came to visit me. He told me that he would send my final appeal to the Singapore's president in a few days. That will be my last chance.

On the night before the execution is carried out, many death-row inmates will have no opportunity to say goodbye to their families. For most of them, they are in no mood to think of anything else other than feeling hurt and pain before their final sentence.

For most of these death-row inmates, the moment they are brought out of their cell, they will lose control their emotions and they will start to break down. No amount of counselling will be able to pacify them because once they step out of their cell, they know there is no coming back and they will be gone forever.

But those who feel the most pain are their families. I do not dare to imagine how they would feel as they wait outside to collect the cold and lifeless body of their love ones.

If tomorrow is my last night

For me, if tomorrow is my last night, I too will have no choice. But I am ready to face the fact. After all, I was the one who made a mistake, and I have repented.

Would I be frightened? I really don't know. But I think I may not be because I am beginning to be familiar with how it feels to face death - don't forget that in this short 4 years, I have brushed death many times.

Indeed, I have "died" a few times before. In 2007, when I was caught, and discovering Buddhism has allowed me to be "reborned". In 2009, when I was sentenced to death, and my lawyer helped me to appeal against my sentence.

I will not request for my last dinner to be anything sumptuous. I think I will follow my regular routine of waking up in the morning to chant my Buddhist scripts and meditate, followed by my vegetarian breakfast until night falls, put on the best clothes which my sister has bought for me, say goodbye to the rest of the inmates, and finally kowtow to the Goddess to show my appreciation and thanks.

But I cannot truly express my feelings as I really don't know how I will feel as I walk towards the noose. I guess no one will really know.

My greatest fortune

I have been through stages where I felt lost, ignorant and was suffering but because of my practice of Buddhism, it has allowed me to free myself.

I am also grateful that many members of public are willing to forgive me. Being able to live until today is my greatest fortune.

I think my family has already accepted me for what I did, and also accepted whatever outcome it may be. They take comfort in the fact that I have turned over a new leaf, and that I have continued reading and practicing Buddhism.

My ordeal has also improved the relationship among those in my family, especially my siblings. But I still worry sometimes that my mother will come to know that I am no longer around.

I would like to thank all of you once again. I will not be able to share my story without your help. I shall pray for you, and wish you good health and happiness.

Goodbye.

July 10, 2011

YONG VUI KONG, a Sabahan, was sentenced in November 2009 to death for drug trafficking. He was 19. On April 4, Yong lost his final appeal against a mandatory death sentence. He will be executed soon unless he is granted clemency by Singapore's president. 


Yong Vui Kong Petitions President S R Nathan for clemency

President S R Nathan
Lawyers representing convicted drug trafficker Yong Vui Kong have filed a petition for a presidential pardon yesterday evening, after their client’s final legal appeal was dismissed.

The 46-point petition asks that Yong, a Malaysian citizen, be granted clemency based on the following mitigating points:

• his exceptionally harsh upbringing,
• his youth and easily manipulated at the time of offence (Yong was 19-years-old), and
• the remorse and reform he has shown since his arrest with a strong prospect of rehabilitation

Yong’s lawyer M Ravi argues that the long delay between sentencing and execution – currently at two years and eight months – has helped to justify commutation in other jurisdictions.

The appeal notes that this has been an “unique and exceptional case”, underscored by how Yong’s trial has helped clarify local law while questioning the constitutionality of the mercy process here.

Yong, now 23-years-old, was arrested in 2007 and convicted of trafficking 47g of heroin into Singapore. Under the Mandatory Death Penalty stipulated in the Misuse of Drugs Act he was sentenced to hang.

The President has about three months to respond, under the advice of the Cabinet.

Source: The Online Citizen, July 8, 2011


Please click here to send an email to Singapore's president urging him to commute Yong Vui Kong's death sentence to a prison sentence and thus grant this very young man a "second chance".
_________________________
Use the tags below or the search engine at the top of this page to find updates, older or related articles on this Website.

Comments

Most viewed (Last 7 days)

William Thompson Faces Execution in Florida Amid Dementia, Terminal Illness Concerns

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed an exe­cu­tion war­rant for 74-year-old pris­on­er William ​“Bill” Thompson less than 24 hours after he was released from the hos­pi­tal to the hos­pice wing of the prison. After his attor­neys raised seri­ous con­cerns about his men­tal com­pe­ten­cy and dete­ri­o­rat­ing phys­i­cal health, Gov. DeSantis agreed to tem­porar­i­ly stay the exe­cu­tion so Mr. Thompson’s com­pe­ten­cy can be eval­u­at­ed on October 1. If he is found com­pe­tent, his exe­cu­tion remains sched­uled for October 13.

Texas executes Ker’Sean Ramey

Texas executes man for a triple killing, days after other man convicted in case was put to death  A man was executed Wednesday evening in Texas for a triple killing committed during an attempted robbery at a rural home, 1 week after the other man convicted in the case was put to death.  Ker’Sean Ramey, 41, was pronounced dead at 6:34 p.m. CDT following a lethal injection at the state penitentiary in Huntsville. He was the 6th person executed this year in Texas, with 3 more lethal injections scheduled in the state over the next 2 months. 

Texas House chairman wants child rapists eligible for death penalty

AUSTIN (Nexstar) — Under current Supreme Court precedent, states cannot execute someone for raping a child if the victim survives. That’s not stopping State Rep. Jeff Leach, R-McKinney. “We’re going to have a debate in this building behind me about the death penalty being on the table for any Texan who rapes a child,” Leach, the chair of the Texas House Committee on Judiciary & Civil Jurisprudence, said. Leach made the comments while hosting a news conference supporting his client, abuse survivor Cindy Clemishire.

Israel | Ben Gvir discusses death penalty for Neveh Tzuf terrorist hours before Yom Kippur

National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir raised the possibility of applying the death penalty to the Neveh Tzuf terrorist during a security meeting with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Two hours before the start of Yom Kippur on Sunday, National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir raised the possibility of applying the death penalty to the terrorist responsible for the attack in Neveh Tzuf during a security meeting with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Netanyahu had reportedly convened the meeting in response to the security situation in the West Bank following the Sunday terror attack.

Texas set to execute second man convicted in 2005 South Texas triple murder

Ker’Sean Olajuwa Ramey is scheduled to die Wednesday, one week after the state executed his co-defendant for the same killings. Texas is scheduled to execute a man on Wednesday for the 2005 shooting deaths of three people during a botched robbery in a small South Texas town, just one week after the state put his co-defendant to death for the same crime. Ker’Sean Olajuwa Ramey, 41, is scheduled to die by lethal injection Wednesday evening at the state penitentiary in Huntsville.

Tennessee Supreme Court denies stay for death row inmate Christa Pike

(TNND) — As Tennessee prepares for a Sept. 30 execution, the Tennessee Supreme Court has denied death row inmate Christa Gail Pike’s request to stop it. The court rejected Pike’s challenge to the state’s lethal-injection protocol, finding that her thrombocytosis diagnosis, a condition involving elevated blood platelets, did not show the execution would violate the Eighth Amendment ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

Florida | Tomasz Kosowski found guilty of murder after representing himself in death penalty case

Tomasz Kosowski sat each day alone at the defense table, wearing orange jail garb and rubber sandals with socks. In a rare and largely unprecedented move for a death penalty case, Kosowski represented himself, waiving his right to a jury trial and allowing a judge in Pinellas County, Florida, to decide his fate. Prosecutors presented the state’s case over six days, laying out for the judge how the former plastic surgeon accosted Steven Cozzi in the bathroom of his law office on a Tuesday morning, and Cozzi was never seen again.

Philippines | President Marcos Grants Absolute Pardon to Mary Jane Veloso

President Marcos Confirms Decision to Grant Absolute Pardon to Mary Jane Veloso  President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has signed an absolute pardon for Mary Jane Veloso after more than a decade.  On Friday (September 25, 2026), the President confirmed the decision during a visit to Guiuan, Eastern Samar.  According to him, the pardon was officially signed the previous day, marking a major development in the case.  

Tennessee | Christa Pike Requests Clemency Ahead of September 30 Execution Date; Experts’ Amicus Brief Points to ​‘Substantial Risk’ of Re-traumatization

Lawyers for Christa Pike, the only woman on Tennessee’s death row, filed a 226-page clemen­cy peti­tion with Governor Bill Lee, ask­ing him to com­mute her death sen­tence to life in prison with­out the pos­si­bil­i­ty of parole ahead of her September 30 exe­cu­tion date. Ms. Pike’s clemen­cy peti­tion out­lines the case her team has built over decades of appeals: her actions at 18 years old can­not be sep­a­rat­ed from a child­hood marked by repeat­ed rape, sex­u­al abuse, and neglect that went unad­dressed by the adults and state sys­tems meant to pro­tect her. Once incar­cer­at­ed, Ms. Pike was diag­nosed with bipo­lar dis­or­der and post-trau­mat­ic stress disorder.

Singapore | Ministry of Home Affairs refutes claims that death penalty was discussed during visit by Israel's security ministry

The Ministry of Home Affairs says discussions with the Israeli government involved the sharing of best practices in emergency response, crime prevention, and forensics. Issues relating to the death penalty “were never part of the meeting and were not discussed."  SINGAPORE: The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on Friday (Sep 11) refuted claims by an Israeli media outlet that the death penalty was discussed during a visit by an Israeli delegation in May. The Haaretz newspaper reported on Sep 7 that a delegation comprising representatives from the Israel Prison Service and National Security Ministry made a “secret visit” to Singapore that month.