The court sentenced a second suspect to life in prison for his role in the explosion that shocked the nation
Manama: A court in Bahrain on Monday sentenced to death a defendant accused of planting a bomb that killed a Bahraini woman and injured three children in June last year.
The court sentenced a second suspect to life in prison for his role in the explosion that shocked the nation.
The woman was killed and the children were injured when their car was hit by a bomb blast in East Eker, south of the capital Manama.
“A terrorist act claimed the life of a woman and injured three children who were with her in a car that was hit by shrapnel after a bomb exploded,” the director general of Manama’s police directorate said.
Ahmad Al Hammadi, the head of the anti-terrorism public prosecution, on Monday said that 10 suspects were involved in the case.
The investigation launched immediately after the attack led to the identification of a suspect currently a fugitive in Iran and working for Iran’s Revolutionary Guard who tasked the two defendants with carrying out an explosion attack against police patrols.
The two agreed, obtained the explosive device from the fugitive and planted on the road side.
However, they exploded it as a private car was passing by, resulting in the death of the woman and the injuries of the children accompanying her.
The two perpetrators were eventually identified and arrested, Al Hammadi said.
They can challenge the verdict by taking the case to the Court of Appeals and eventually to the Court of Cassation, he added.
Source: Gulf News, June 19, 2017
⚑ | Report an error, an omission, a typo; suggest a story or a new angle to an existing story; submit a piece, a comment; recommend a resource; contact the webmaster, contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Opposed to Capital Punishment? Help us keep this blog up and running! DONATE!