FEATURED POST

In the crosshairs of conscience: John Kitzhaber's death penalty reckoning

Image
To cope with his dread, John Kitzhaber opened his leather-bound journal and began to write.
It was a little past 9 on the morning of Nov. 22, 2011. Gary Haugen had dropped his appeals. A Marion County judge had signed the murderer's death warrant, leaving Kitzhaber, a former emergency room doctor, to decide Haugen's fate. The 49-year-old would soon die by lethal injection if the governor didn't intervene.
Kitzhaber was exhausted, having been unable to sleep the night before, but he needed to call the families of Haugen's victims.
"I know my decision will delay the closure they need and deserve," he wrote.
The son of University of Oregon English professors, Kitzhaber began writing each day in his journal in the early 1970s. The practice helped him organize his thoughts and, on that particular morning, gather his courage.
Kitzhaber first dialed the widow of David Polin, an inmate Haugen beat and stabbed to death in 2003 while already serving a life sentence fo…

Saudis reject Foreign Minister Stéphane Dion’s demand to release Raif Badawi to join family in Canada

Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to Canada and Foreign Minister Stéphane Dion
Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to Canada and Foreign Minister Stéphane Dion.
'If we asked Canada to send...a Canadian citizen, in Canadian jail, to Saudi Arabia, do you accept that?' the Saudi ambassador asks.

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2016 12:00 AM.  Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to Canada shot down a call from Foreign Minister Stéphane Dion to release imprisoned blogger Raif Badawi and allow him to join his family in Canada, saying Mr. Badawi’s case had nothing to do with relations between the two countries.

Mr. Dion (Saint-Laurent, Que.) told reporters on Oct. 18 that it would be “unacceptable” for Mr. Badawi to be flogged by Saudi authorities, following reports that another round of the punishment could be meted out against the Saudi national soon.

Mr. Badawi was arrested in 2012 on charges of insulting Islam through his blog, and sentenced to 10 years in prison, a hefty fine, and 1,000 lashes. The first 50 lashes were delivered in January 2015, causing outcry in many Western countries over both the form of the punishment and what Amnesty International and others called a crackdown on free expression.

Mr. Badawi’s wife and children were given asylum in Canada.

Evelyne Abitbol, who runs the Montreal-based Raif Badawi Foundation, told the Canadian Press last week she feared Mr. Badawi could soon be subjected to another round of lashes as part of his sentence. The remainder of the 1,000 lashes has been put off several times. Ms. Abitbol told the new agency her fear was based on information from a “private source,” the same source who alerted Mr. Badawi’s loved ones to the lashes beginning in 2015.

Mr. Dion told the press in the foyer of the House of Commons that he condemned flogging as a form of punishment, and that another round of the punishment would be unacceptable. He said he insisted that the Saudi government show clemency to Mr. Badawi, and allow him to join his family in Canada.

Mr. Dion noted that since Mr. Badawi is not a Canadian, the government was treating his plight as a humanitarian case, not a consular one. Government officials in the past have suggested that means their hands are to a certain extent tied.

In an interview Oct. 20, Saudi Ambassador Naif Bin Bandir AlSudairy said he had no information about whether Mr. Badawi would soon be subjected to more flogging.

“Mr. Badawi is a Saudi citizen, [and] has nothing to do with the relations between Canada and Saudi Arabia,” he said.

Raif Badawi, sentenced to 1,000 lashes for blasphemy.
Raif Badawi, sentenced to 1,000 lashes for blasphemy.
When asked whether the Saudi government was considering Mr. Dion’s request to give Mr. Badawi clemency, and allow him to come to Canada, he said: “As the Saudi government, if we asked Canada to send…a Canadian citizen, in Canadian jail, to Saudi Arabia, do you accept that?”

He then confirmed that his government was not considering letting Mr. Badawi come to Canada.

When asked to respond to Mr. AlSudairy’s comments, and whether more flogging would harm bilateral relations, Mr. Dion’s office said his position on the matter had not changed since he spoke on the 18th.

Managing relations with Saudi Arabia is a difficult task for Mr. Dion. His government has often publicly touted the value of maintaining diplomatic ties with all countries, even those at odds with Canada or those with poor human rights records.

The Liberal government has faced strong criticism for approving a sale of armoured vehicles by General Dynamics Land Systems Canada to the Saudi National Guard. Amnesty International and others warn the vehicles could be used against civilian targets in Saudi Arabia or in neighbouring Yemen.

Throughout the controversy, the Saudi Embassy in Canada has done its best to maintain relations with Mr. Dion and open up somewhat to the political press, including by inviting the foreign minister and some journalists to the ambassador’s residence for dinner in March.

Mr. AlSudairy said he didn’t know whether another round of punishment to Mr. Badawi would harm bilateral relations.

Conservative foreign affairs critic Peter Kent (Thornhill, Ont.) said he agreed with Mr. Dion’s position on Mr. Badawi’s release.

Canada’s relationship with Saudi Arabia is “complicated,” he said, calling the country an ally in the fight against the militant group known as Daesh and ISIS, and a trading partner.

He said Mr. Dion should “speak out” for Mr. Badawi’s release, and use an upcoming vote on Saudi Arabia’s membership in the UN Human Rights Council as leverage to help secure his release.

Source: The Hill Times, October 26, 2016

⚑ | Report an error, an omission; suggest a story or a new angle to an existing story; send a submission; recommend a resource; contact the webmaster, contact us: deathpenaltynews@gmail.com.


Opposed to Capital Punishment? Help us keep this blog up and running! DONATE!

Most Viewed (Last 7 Days)

New Hampshire: More than 50,000 anti-death penalty signatures delivered to Sununu

Texas: The accused Santa Fe shooter will never get the death penalty. Here’s why.

Post Mortem – the execution of Edward Earl Johnson

Malaysian court sentences Australian grandmother to death by hanging

Convicted killer from infamous “Texas 7” prison escape gets execution date

Ohio: Lawyers seek review of death sentence for 23-year-old Clayton man

Texas man on death row for decapitating 3 kids loses appeal

Amnesty International Once Again Highlights Shocking Justice System in Iran

In the crosshairs of conscience: John Kitzhaber's death penalty reckoning

Ohio man with execution set for July 18 blames killing on ‘homosexual panic’